It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:31

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Jul 2020, 15:45 • #1 
Looking to pick up my first heavy weight glass. Open to any other suggestions in the price range, but any intel on a comparison of these rods would be appreciated. Surely won't go wrong with any of them.

Thanks for the help.

Post 14 Jul 2020, 18:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
No, you won't go wrong.

I can't compare since all I've played with is my BAG. It's an incredibly versatile stick.

Post 14 Jul 2020, 19:14 • #3 
Sport
Depends on what you're fishing for, what flies/streamers/weight you want to throw, and how deep you're wading. I'm a smallmouth fisher with 7 weights, and because I wade waist deep (or more!), I like 8 1/2' rods. My favorites are Fenwick FF856 (for deer hair bugs and light-ish streamers, and you want to feel the loading of the rod); and the FF857 for heavier water and streamers and you want to control your chuck-and-duck (!!) But besides those two, a lot of people who fish the way I do like the SA System 7.

Oh, do some research (searches) on this site, too. There's a good, and fairly recent post in "Collecting . . . " titled something like 7-weight Gathering. You also need to search for favorite smallmouth rods. Whether or not you're a smallmouth fisher, there are a lot of GOOD posts on the 7 weight subject.

Depending on what you want to fish for . . . .

fish on!
Peter

Post 14 Jul 2020, 19:18 • #4 
Master Guide
First welcome to the forum. Next try to pick up three vintage fiberglass 7 weight rods and cast them until you know them. Chances are you will find at least one or two winners in your choices. A few modern seven weight rods are sure to work as well. You have so many great choices in 7 weight fiberglass fly rods. Vintage rods can be a real value.

Post 14 Jul 2020, 20:53 • #5 
I am really enjoying my 7wt *********

Post 15 Jul 2020, 08:53 • #6 
Guide
Blue Halo 7wt Gen II is my go-to largemouth bass rod. The Gen III is very similar, but a 4pc.

Fished with a Scientific Angler Wavelength Titan 6wt line (210 grain so technically an 8wt line).

The BH Zen Glass 8wt is a much different rod. Much more back bone, But when going with bigger flies or on really windy days, it’s a great rod.

Fished with a SA Amplitude Smooth Titan Long (280g so technically a 10wt line).

With both of these rods my casting is similar, hit the shore line with a surface fly, twitch and strip in a little, pick up and throw back down without a false cast 90% of the time.

For throwing heavy or wind resistant flies I absolutely prefer a 7’6”-8’6” rod. My opinion may be different if I fished from a boat more often, but I’m kayak fishing/ sitting.

Thus the weight forward and heavier lines.

********* 6wt (I’ve not tried the 7wt) is a very unique and impressive rod. But not what I’d recommend for a first.

I’ve heard great things about the Echo BAG.

Lots of great information throughout this sight, particularly with some of the classic or vintage glass.

I have two of the BH 7wts for a reason though!

Post 15 Jul 2020, 09:09 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
It should also be noted that 7wt in vintage glass is kind of the bread and butter. TONS of great options. In addition to the BAG 7wt that I have, my Fisher 6/7 gets a ton of use (it's the reason I no longer have my BH Gen II 7wt--great stick on its own, but in my hands, I like the Fisher better). But, I do find myself reaching for the BAG a little more often simply because it's a little bit shorter, a little bit quicker, and is easier to deliver large streamers with a little more precision. If I'm mostly swinging down a steelhead run, the Fisher is just a thing of beauty.

Post 15 Jul 2020, 09:52 • #8 
Thanks everyone. Should have given a little more info, but looking to throw streamers for large trout, bass, and some pike with this rod. Maybe will see a little time for summer steelhead.

Although I love the old glass rods, and pick up some here and there in lighter weights, I am leaning towards the faster stuff for the applications mentioned. Not opposed to vintage or used at all, but there are some good deals out there to be found on some of the new stuff. *********'s are a little out of my price range though.

I own a River Glass and love the way it casts and fishes, but the fit and finish are a little lacking (even for the price point). I guess I was hoping for an endorsement of any of the ~$250 options like "the 7wt is the highlight of lineup" or "truly versatile and fun to fish for anything" "much nicer than expected for the price".

Seems that the BAG is the popular and easy choice. However, it is an oz heavier than the Fenglass and I'm curious about the Moonlit build quality.

Any Fenwick or Moonlit lovers out there? Or anyone able to offer a direct comparison? Thanks!

Post 15 Jul 2020, 10:05 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I only have the 6wt BAG, and it is easily the fastest glass 6wt I own. The 6wt Fenglass is not far behind, though. I also own the 7wt Fenglass and have caught some nice bass on it.

I only just picked up a Lunar this year, but it was the 2wt. At the discounted price I thought it was fine. I use it with a 3wt line. It looks alright, though I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

If fast glass is what you want, then the BAG sounds like the clear choice. I own a few other Echo rods and am pretty happy with their stuff. Great customer service, too -- I managed to snap the tip on my 7wt Beach Boost (graphite) and they got a replacement to me quickly.

Post 15 Jul 2020, 10:09 • #10 
Thanks Odonata. Really helpful.

I'm not necessarily in need of the fastest thing out there, just on the faster side. Any major differences or preferences in your 6wts - BAG or Fenglass?

Post 15 Jul 2020, 10:50 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Here is a summary of the 6wt's I own :

- BAG : fastest, also a bit heavy. But not a broomstick. I haven't fished it as much as I would like, as I only bought it last year, and well, pandemic :) I did manage to get out and catch some smallmouth on it. I do like it.

- Fenglass : relatively light, next fastest, good feel. Also, no fighting butt if that matters. I do like this rod quite a bit, and it has gotten a lot of use.

- Butter Stick II : a bit heavier than the Fenglass, good looking rod, not as fast, good roll caster. The imitation late 70's color scheme is a hoot. This is kind of a hot summer day rod for me, but I was surprised at how well it worked on a windy day this past spring as well.

- Maxcatch Ultraglass : heavy, but faster than the Butter Stick I'd say. It's long, but kind of stiff. Cheap. I like it for catching some of the monster crappie we have in the winter.

- Ross Flystik : this one is actually medium-fast graphite :) I snapped the tip though and just use the tip from a 4wt 7'8" 4-piece Aventik s-glass rod on it. I would say this thing is somewhere between the BAG and the Fenglass now. It is a fun rod with big panfish or even largish bass.

I have no idea what I am doing though, and have never fished for pike or steelhead. Also would suggest shopping around and looking for coupon codes you can use on the BAG. There have been some nice deals to be found on the Fenglass rods.

Post 15 Jul 2020, 10:54 • #12 
Super, really helpful. Thanks!

Post 15 Jul 2020, 11:09 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
"Vintage:" SA System 7 glass. Fast as 7 weights go. Many, many great classic glass rods, and many that are not sloppy or floppy. Fortunately, now we are seeing a few makers like ********* and Echo revive the seven weight, and plenty of info on those here as well.

Post 15 Jul 2020, 11:16 • #14 
Noted, I'll keep an eye out.

Post 15 Jul 2020, 11:32 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Goodness, I just proved my own point that it is hard to name or remember all the great heyday seven weights. I like clarkman's "bread and butter" better than my usual "meat and potatoes" description of this versatile weight--casts like an 8, handles like a 6.

Well anyhow, notwithstanding that I fished my 8 1/2' Sceptre just last week, I forgot to mention it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69025&p=373215&hilit=Sceptre#p373215

Post 15 Jul 2020, 12:02 • #16 
Inactive
Last week on The Green, from my raft, I could see ten men and women fishing in waist deep water. One had a BAG. He stood out do to the color. It looked like it was lit up. Later he fell and came to the dock to dry out, where I was loading up the raft, and he let me hold it briefly. Wondrous.

Post 16 Jul 2020, 10:39 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
If you're fishing streamers, and you're wading, you want the longest rod you can get for mending purposes. This is very important for this kind of fishing. However, many folks, me included, feel glass rods past about 6wt feel heavy when they are 8'6" or more. 8 foot is a good length for most any glass rod for the purpose of casting but it lacks a bit in the streamer fishing department because of its limited mending capability. So this presents a dilemma. You wouldn't think the extra 3" the FenGlass 7wt provides is that big of a deal but it is. The 8'3" length is a bit of a sweet spot for streamer fishing with glass. It's not heavy to cast and gives you better mending over shorter rods. The older 8'3" Fenwick FF837 is a fantastic Smallmouth/Trout Streamer rod if you can find one, but it is a 2 piece, if that makes a difference. The FenGlass isn't quite as good but is still a very nice stick, especially for the money, and it's a 3pc. The best glass rod I have for this purpose is a Steffen 8'3" 7/8 wt using a 7wt line. It is superb. But good luck finding one. Mark doesn't build them in that configuration any more. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Echo, there is something about the feel that they feel dead and a bit heavy in my hands. They just don't transmit what the rod is doing as well as other makes. I like to not have to look at my rod and line and I have to keep checking with Echo's because they just don't feel right to me. I would recommend a Fenglass FG837-3.

Post 16 Jul 2020, 11:51 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
7 weight is not a heavy weight it is the standard freshwater line. I used nothing but 9wts for trout and bass for about 25 years and they were not at all heavy.
Any 8'-8.5' 'glass rod made between 1960 and 1975 will do a fine job for you that is when fly rods were perfected.

Crusty gives good advice I think, although where I fish streamers for bass there is no mending and 7.5' 7wt is my go to.

Post 16 Jul 2020, 19:56 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve only cast the Fenglass, and it’s a nice blank. But yeah I think my decision would be based on whether I’m going to be fishing from a boat or wading more often. I like the 8ft rods just fine from a boat, but I agree with Crusty - longer is better when wading.

Post 18 Jul 2020, 20:06 • #20 
Master Guide
I have a 7wt Echo BAG Quickshot its shorter than the regular BAG but Ive used mine in the surf and to catch Bass. It has landed some nice fish. It depends were you fish but I recommend this rod

Post 05 Aug 2020, 15:24 • #21 
Sport
Odonata wrote:
I only just picked up a Lunar this year, but it was the 2wt. At the discounted price I thought it was fine. I use it with a 3wt line. It looks alright, though I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

This is my experience with the Lunar. Bought it for $125 and thought it was good for the money. Wouldn't pay the $175 they're asking now. Fit and finish is what did it for me. Shame because I've really loved the three Shadowcast blanks I've built on.

Post 16 Dec 2020, 08:52 • #22 
Master Guide
Love the Blue Halo 7wt 8’6. I have a beautiful one I bought from Shane at Greywolf; it is one of my favorites. Excellent for bass fishing and throwing streamers for big trout. I would love to hook up with a redfish on it but hasn’t happened yet.

Post 19 Dec 2020, 04:43 • #23 
Guide
A Fenwick fan here- IMO,
i would try to find a vintage Fenwick 864 or the 764 (2 piece) . While listed as a 6 weight, it throws 7 weight lines very well. I like these rods because they handle bass bugs etc and still have a soft enough tip section that makes small fish fun to catch.
The vintage 807 which is a 2 piece is also an excellent rod.
These rods are "all rounders".
Look for these rods to come up here and on the bid sites frequently.
Good luck.

Post 19 Dec 2020, 08:33 • #24 
Guide
I believe Mark Steffen still makes an 8'6" 6/7 wt, which would be an excellent choice.

Post 19 Dec 2020, 14:14 • #25 
Master Guide
I am completely happy casting a vintage Fenwick 7-wt. My old FF85 is a favorite. The FF807 is also a pleasure.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply