It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:06

New Topic Add Reply
Warmup hike
Post 10 Jul 2020, 17:01 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Another company shutdown this week, for the usual reasons. I decided to tie some flies for the holiday, and then early on Sunday headed up over Sonora pass, then down 395 to Mammoth Lakes. The overall plan was a four day trip in the eastern Sierra backcountry; will post about that sometime later.

The trailhead was insane, but on the July 4th holiday weekend what else would you expect. Lots of face masks, as it is mandatory in "public spaces" now. I brought one of my Maxcatch 5wt glass rods, this one made for Wetfly, as it was going to be windy for the next couple days at least. I like to use it with a half weight heavy line, and had scored an Orvis power taper WF5F when they were closing out the old model.

I managed to reach this lake around noonish.

Flicking purple GFA hoppers seemed to get some of the residents' attention.

As more people showed up on the other shore and their sound systems started up I decided to move along though.

The water in the creeks was still flowing pretty well. There were a few mosquitoes, but the breeze made it difficult for them to land.

I managed to follow the wrong creek, and ended up at a different lake than I'd planned. It was pretty, but still more people than I would like.

I wandered off and re-checked my GPS app. Oh ... after some cross country rambling figured out where I was going.

I'd had good luck here before. The rainbows were looking up, and terrestrials did the trick.

After a while I decided to pack up and wander back in the general direction of the car. This lake has brookies, but the views were pretty awesome, too.

Hiking at 9000-10000' the same day as driving up from sea level usually means I'm not moving super fast (if I ever move super fast, that is). I wandered around some more.

Finally I made my way to another lake towards evening. I could see small fish, and noted a spin fisherman taking cast after cast. I decided not to disturb his moment, and just circumnavigated the shoreline, hopping talus and taking in the views.

Back at the car, I slunk off to find a quiet spot to sleep at high enough altitude so that I could head up to higher elevation the next day with a full pack and not get AMS.

Re: Warmup hike
Post 10 Jul 2020, 18:37 • #2 
Master Guide
Great photos, what a cool trip I love the east side. That first rainbow is a nice size for the high country. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Lanny

Post 10 Jul 2020, 19:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Per usual, a lovely journey with you. Back in the 70’s, when I lived in SoCal, I used to come up 395 to Lonepine, then head up to the trailhead at Onion Valley. Went over Kearsage Pass many a time and fished the lakes on the other side. Good memories. I like to go along with you when you post. Roy

Post 11 Jul 2020, 12:27 • #4 
Guide
Love it! Really makes me miss living back home in Alberta where I could ramble through the Rockies every weekend.

Post 11 Jul 2020, 12:37 • #5 
Guide
Just awesome. Those bows are really nice for high country fish.

Post 11 Jul 2020, 13:16 • #6 
Master Guide
Nice thanks for sharing!

Post 11 Jul 2020, 16:36 • #7 
Guide
Very cool trip. That is some beautiful high country.

Post 12 Jul 2020, 15:32 • #8 
Master Guide
"Warm up hike" he says. :)

That's a fantastic adventure. Glad you were able to find some solitude up in the high country, even if it was hard to come by.

Beautiful pictures. I love your posts.

Post 17 Jul 2020, 14:57 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Wonderful trip -- thanks for showing.

New Topic Add Reply