It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:11

New Topic Add Reply
Went fishing today
Post 05 Jul 2020, 20:28 • #1 
Inactive
Sounds inane. But we had have a bit of rain. Caught some trout. was surprised at the trout I caught. Mostly small fish. A couple of decent fish. I feared the worst after this. Even saw tricos hatching..

Re: Went fishing today
Post 05 Jul 2020, 23:17 • #2 
Guide
Fishing the Rush or the Kinni?

Regardless, it’s great to have a fishing report since the deluge. Still, the flows were raging, it’s got to have an effect on the population.

Post 06 Jul 2020, 07:45 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Good going. Like wildfires in forests, floods or flushes of high water are nature's way of refreshing habitat. Often they appear more disastrous than they are. Many fish do fine in their usual channel lies--and the best spots are owned by the healthiest fish--which are actually little changed in flow as the higher water passes above and widening to the side. New spots may be formed along the banks, side channels, silt is removed and gravel bars exposed, and so on. Fishing may be disrupted, a population thinned for a time, but if the refreshed habitat is there, the fish will prosper. Reassuring to have a good day as the flow recedes.

Post 06 Jul 2020, 08:50 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Don't those fish know how to swim? My little creek jumps from 2' on the gauge to 17' pretty regular and when it goes down the minnows and the lunkers are still there, or they come back?

Post 06 Jul 2020, 16:19 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I think they just sleep through it, wake up and go get something to eat!

Post 06 Jul 2020, 20:54 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Good to hear! I headed north for the hex hatch and haven't fished around here since to flood.

Post 07 Jul 2020, 02:20 • #7 
Inactive
Had planned on heading north to hayward this weekend. Life got in the way. A weekend trip to the national forest up there is in the cards in the next couple of weeks.
Rush river. Haven't been to the kinni since the tub drifters took over.

Post 08 Jul 2020, 06:59 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
A friend father has a farm on the Trimbelle. He was walking his fields the other day surveying the damage and saw a lot of trout in the fields, mainly 6" and under. I suspect the young of the year fish were swept out into Lake Pepin. No doubt our area streams took a hit in fish population, though it might not be noticeable this year.

Post 08 Jul 2020, 20:10 • #9 
Inactive
I think it took a bit in small fish. Really small fish. A year or two class has hurt. It may show up in a few years, but it'll bounce back quick. It happens. It can also go the other way, in Ohio, the walleye in lake Erie have had suck a grand time breeding, they've overpopulated the lake and are eating other fish which they normally wouldn't. They've killed off the yellow perch schools. I say, KILL THE WALLEYE!

Post 09 Jul 2020, 06:18 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Just to clarify, this is the Trimbelle that drains heavily agricultural land, where a cycle of siltation and flush would be more or less the norm, with a periodic extreme event ? A Wisconsin class II trout stream, with little natural reproduction except in the headwaters, and stocking supported. Wisconsin, like many states, modified their stocking program in this extraordinary year--not sure if it was stocked this year. Just wondering if a close look at the fish stranded in the fields would indicate they are mostly this year's stocking--not available for anglers anymore, but net mortality similar to the lower reaches put-and-take fishery?

Post 09 Jul 2020, 06:49 • #11 
Piscator
that sounds like a Texas rain.
The hill country headwaters, though, will fish 48 hours after a rain like that, because they drain, and there's so little chert to slow them down or cloud them much.
This was taken 48 hours after 1000 cfs ripped through.
this bass is in the trickle down the main channel, and it's completely clear

New Topic Add Reply