It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Jun 2020, 00:14 • #1 
Guide
What a frustrating fiasco for this dunderhead, trying to find the image upload. I guess it does not show in a PM, so just a couple questions for those in the know. I read some thing about you can't post from your own PC but that is exactly what I did. I opened an account with google photos but did not use it, do I need to keep that account? what is attaching a signature? should I have used thumbnails? these three pics are less than 1mb so that must be good right? But what if I was using the PM to show a member a rod I was trying to sell or not burden the rest of you with my pics but I think I know we all like pics right?

Last edited by 2wtt on 26 Jun 2020, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Jun 2020, 02:06 • #2 
Administrator
Image upload could be allowed in PM, but the system has been designed to be simple, safe, secure, unbreakable and lightweight. Images are only permitted to be viewed on this site. PMs also have an email notification system, in which any images would not show.

It is possible for you to use the post editor to construct a forum post, upload and insert images, then instead of posting this, copy the contents into a PM. Yes, this would work... but you have the problem of the email notification, which may be undesirable.

In general, we find that sellers tend to prefer to attach images to an email, outwith FFR's systems. FFR simply gives you a place to initiate things, but takes no part in any buying or selling process.

In spite of the fact that disk space is inexpensive, it does cost money to store images. These do need to be backed up. We do not want to become an image storage system for images that are only ever shared with one person. This is inefficient for us.

If posting more than one photo, thumbnails are preferred. This is not a hard and fast rule, though. One must think about the people who open a topic for the first time. One must think about the costs for others for their Internet bandwidth. One must think about FFR's reputation with the search engines for being not only a quality site, but also a well-working and efficient site. Irrespective of this: does everyone who returns to a topic actually want to see photos a second time? Do they want extra scrolling while they try to read text?

Images are grouped into galleries organized by their poster. If people want to see images, they can view a gallery, simply by clicking on any image they choose.

No, this is not perfect. See the first paragraph.

Resizing, cropping, compressing your images are all good. Please do not overdo it, though. I recently saw some rod papers that could barely be read because of this.

You do not need a Google Images account to post here. Whether you want to retain it, is your choice.

If your name is "Bob" and you want to write this at the end of all your posts (just the same as you can with most email systems), you can set a signature in your account, and have it appended to your post. However, these can be distracting, and they can also be misused. For this reason, new members are not permitted to use signatures. Signatures are periodically removed from older posts. Signatures are only displayed to other forum members.

FFR's image upload system should work from just about any PC or device. I have no idea where you read this misinformation.

Before anyone criticizes or complains, all the shortfalls are already known about and I refer you to the first paragraph. FFR is a forum and not an image host or your personal storage system. For every feature, there is always a penalty. This is just a best balance of all.

Post 26 Jun 2020, 09:21 • #3 
Guide
I sure did not mean to sound like I was criticizing anything with the exception of my understanding of IT. I understand what you mean about scrolling thru images as I have found it to be a bit bothersome but did not think about it before your post and I apologize for causing that lenghy reply.
Paul

Post 26 Jun 2020, 09:50 • #4 
Administrator
No, I did not think you were. I was preempting the likely replies. :) Relax and enjoy!

Post 26 Jun 2020, 10:05 • #5 
Guide
I appreciate this forum!

New Topic Add Reply