It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Jun 2020, 06:11 • #1 
Sport
I'm thinking about buying a 4-piece Fenwick; what you might call a "pack rod" or "travel rod". They could easily go in the overhead compartment if you fly and I think they would be good "all-around rods" for trout fishing on small or medium size streams. Please share your experience with either of these models. I started with a Wonderrod back in 1970. Then, I built a Phillipson fiberglass kit rod. I once had a 6' Fenwick that I used on Brook trout streams in PA, but that disappeared during a move. I currently don't own a glass rod. I moved away from graphite to bamboo about a dozen years ago and prefer the slower action.

Thanks- Ken

Post 18 Jun 2020, 08:28 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Ken. I’ve long considered my FF756-4 to be about my most versatile rod, and a good backup rod on just about any trout or warmwater outing. Some of that’s the versatility of a 6wt line, but it’s a good rod nonetheless. A quick search here for “versatile” or “FF756-4” will produce a day’s positive reading.

My advice would be to simply buy whichever first comes available, and start using it to determine how it meets your desire and needs. Both models are well regarded here and you can almost think of it as as loaner with a deposit; you’ll pay a modest price, and can always resell for about the same you paid, maybe enough more to buy lunch. That said, I’ve never taken that advice; the eight Fenwicks I’ve bought are all still here.

Coming from bamboo you may not have the same urge to force a lighter line than graphite guys often do, but I’d also advise starting with a 6 wt line, letting the rod work, playing with your stroke for a while, etc., before concluding that the rod has told you to use a 5 wt; some do primarily use a 5, but I think a good majority think Fenwick correctly labeled the FF756-4 as a 6 (I’ve never cast a FF75-4). It’ll also handle a 7 for some purposes.

Enjoy.

Post 18 Jun 2020, 12:22 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Both nice the 756 is slightly stronger and more versatile. I prefer them with 5wt lines but they are just as nice with a 6wt.

Post 18 Jun 2020, 14:42 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
PM sent.

Larry

Post 18 Jun 2020, 16:06 • #5 
Guide
I have a FF70-4, FF706-4, FF75-4 and FF756-4. Bought them all for their portability and cost. The 756 is probably the most versatile, have used it for trout and in a pinch, small king salmon. The 706 feels like a shorter version of the 756. The 75 is a true 5wt. and a tad lighter than the 756. The 70 is the lightest of the bunch, use it with a 5wt. but think it would probably do well with a 4wt. As was suggested grab the first one in good condition for the price(guessing $75-$200 depending on condition) that comes available. They get sold pretty quickly, but they would all serve you well as a pack/travel rod. Good luck!

New Topic Add Reply