It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:11

New Topic Add Reply
NFC 580
Post 15 Jun 2020, 16:49 • #1 
Master Guide
I just cast my recently completed North Fork Composites 8’ 4 piece 5 wt. All I can is wow, I cast it with a Epic WF 5 F glass line and the combination was great. The rod feels really light in hand and has a nice medium fast action being on the slower side of medium fast.The rod flexed 3/4 of the way down the blank and had a really smooth pleasant feeling as the line unrolled on the forward cast. The ferrules fit perfectly and the blank was very straight with a semi un sanded finish like an Epic blank.

The tip is nice and soft and will protect light tippets really well. Compared to a CTS, Epic or Orvis in the same configuration the NFC is slower. A really pleasant enjoyable rod to cast. Can’t wait to take it fishing in a few days. I looked at the NFC web site today and the 4 and 5 wt. blanks were priced at $99.00 and the heavier lines weights were $109.00. What a great deal for a very well made well designed blank.

Re: NFC 580
Post 15 Jun 2020, 18:52 • #2 
Sport
Glad you like the rod. I'm considering getting a blank. Does NFC list guide spacing for the fiberglass blanks? I can't seem to find any.

Post 15 Jun 2020, 23:36 • #3 
Master Guide
Hello, I did find fly rod blank guide spacing on NFC’ s web site. There are numerous guide spacing tables available for fly rod blanks. I would be happy to provide the spacing I used on my blank

Lanny

Post 16 Jun 2020, 06:46 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds awesome! Thanks for the review Lanny, I think I will have to give one a try.

Post 16 Jun 2020, 18:16 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I find mine a bit heavy, but I am comparing it to a 2pc 8' IMX 4wt. I compared these back to back to see how these two rods would compare. While they are much different rods, they have a similar flex profile. If you like vintage loomis (pre-shimano) rods and like glass, you will like this rod.

At $99 the blanks are a steal.

Post 16 Jun 2020, 21:39 • #6 
Master Guide
Driftless, these blanks are very well made and designed. For $99.00 for a US made blank I don’t think you can go wrong. Enjoy your build rod building is allot of fun

Lanny

New Topic Add Reply