It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:07

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Jun 2020, 20:41 • #1 
Sport
Who were (are) your childhood flyfishing hero’s? Mine were Homer Circle, Lee Wulff and Robert Traver

And who could forget Gadabout Gaddis?

Post 04 Jun 2020, 21:19 • #2 
Master Guide
Yes, Mr. Gaddis was the only fly fisher I knew about when I was a kid.

Post 04 Jun 2020, 22:07 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Sure like I even knew what fly-fishing was.
I don't even think there were heroes before television and that followed REA.
I read Zane Grey, Ernest Hemingway, Ed Zern and H G Tapply and they all fly fished, although I didn't know it at the time. Zern may have influenced me more than the others.

>>edit > Got it! "Ike" was a hero. He fly fished. May even have seen a picture of him with a fly rod. I remember wearing a big ol' "I like "Ike" button to school.

Post 04 Jun 2020, 22:13 • #4 
Sport

Post 04 Jun 2020, 22:46 • #5 
Master Guide
In my youth, my fly fishing pals and myself thought Ernest Schwiebert was, “The Man.”

I was fortunate to attend a seminar and slide show with Schwiebert some 40 years ago. He was kind enough to autograph and write a cordial note on the inside cover of my copy of his book, The Compleat Schwiebert.

When asked why he fished, he replied;

“ I fish because of Beauty.

Everything about our sport (and our cause in terms of TU) is beautiful. Its more than five centuries of manuscript and books and folios are beautiful. Its artifacts of rods and beautifully machined reels are beautiful. Its old wading staffs and split-willow creels, and the delicate artifice of its flies, are beautiful. Dressing such confections of fur, feathers and steel is beautiful, and our worktables are littered with gorgeous scraps of tragopan and golden pheasant and blue chattered and Coq de Leon. The best of sporting art is beautiful. The riverscapes that sustain the fish are beautiful. Our methods of seeking them are beautiful, and we find ourselves enthralled with the quicksilver poetry of the fish.”

I think he summed it up quite eloquently.

He passed in 2005.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 00:02 • #6 
Guide
Zane Grey He was one of the greatest fishermen that ever lived. He had the means and the time to travel the world to go on fishing adventures.
Zane Grey was one of the early pioneers that promoted the idea of catching fish for sport. His stories and photos of catching everything from trout to marlin would be a major factor in creating the Sport Fishing Industry that millions of people enjoy today.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 07:39 • #7 
Guide
Kurt Gowdy. Loved watching him on The American Sportsman. I still remember him floating the Snake river in a big rubber raft and catching big cutts. Also Hemingway, of course.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 08:29 • #8 
Sport
Fishing icons Homer Circle and Joe Brooks were certainly some of my early fishing heroes, but the person who really inspired my fishing was A.J. McClane. McClane's 1950's classic, "The Practical Fly Fisherman", was what really got me into fly fishing. I still consult McClane's "Standard Fishing Encyclopedia" even though it was published some years ago. McClane's premature death in 1991 was a loss for fisher folk world-wide.
Regards,
Warren

Post 05 Jun 2020, 09:38 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Mr. Gaddis, Flip Pallot, Lefty Kreh and Jerry McKinnis

Post 05 Jun 2020, 10:13 • #10 
Guide
Growing up in Henryetta, OK, I was shocked to find out that Dave Whitlock was from nearby Muskogee. Years later when I finally met him, I learned that we ended up fishing some of the same waters for our early childhood years. Since the vast majority of rivers and creeks around Henryetta were muddy catfish streams, I’d talk my grandad into a road trip to the Oklahoma Ozarks to fish Greenleaf Creek, Baron Fork, and others. Dave has a great essay on his website about fishing with his grandfather on the same Greenleaf Creek.

In my mid-fifties, Mr. Whitlock is still a hero and I’m still amazed at the breadth of his true ‘Renaissance man’ skills. Great man.

Last edited by SouthernRivers on 05 Jun 2020, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 10:17 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
When I was truly a kid, Jerry McKinnis.

Later as a young fly fishing adult it was mainly the PA guys, Fox, Marinaro, Harvey, Humphreys, Shenk, et al., of course Schwiebert & Flick.

Happily, I got to meet them all except Jerry.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 10:48 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, I never even heard of most of these people until I was an adult and some names I barely recognize now. How did you all become exposed to them as children to the point of heroism? Were they family heroes? All TV exposure?

Post 05 Jun 2020, 11:01 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
The first person I read about when I started flyfishing was George Harvey.I learned how to tie flies through some of his stuff.I found out though that tapes on flytying were far better for learning than books.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 11:21 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
Wow, I never even heard of most of these people until I was an adult and some names I barely recognize now. How did you all become exposed to them as children to the point of heroism? Were they family heroes? All TV exposure?

In my case, nobody in my family fished so I was self taught which included reading Outdoor Life, Field & Stream and else anything I could get my hands on and watching "The Fishin' Hole" hosted by Jerry McKinnis on TV.

Jerry inspired me to make the first fishing purchase of my life, an Eagle Claw Trailmaster rod which happily I still have.

The fly-guys all became heroes from reading books in my late teens and early 20's.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 12:05 • #15 
Master Guide
Lefty Kreh, full stop.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 13:27 • #16 
Administrator
Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin.

Like Bamboozle, I was the only fisherman in my immediate family. I also spent most of my time on salt water, so I talked my parents into a subscription to The Salt Water Sportsman. One of the monthly columns was co-written by Kreh and Sosin. They discussed light tackle angling, including salt water fly fishing.

I had to try - and I did it very badly. I didn't know anyone that could fly cast and didn't realize my tackle was a mis-marked, badly matched mess. Eventually I taught myself to cast from Fly Fishing in Salt Water, by Lefty Kreh.* Still, I didn't really learn how to fly fish until I was in my late 20s.

Tom

In 2013 I went to a fishing show and finally met Lefty Kreh. I was very pleased when he signed my copy of Fly Fishing in Salt Water.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 13:33 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Jerry McKinnis is one I never heard of before this thread (that I recall) Bing says he was on TV for 44 years, I think the only TV fisherman I ever saw was parts of two or three Bill Dance episodes, he was great- made the cast wearing one color shirt and when he set the hook and reeled in had on a different shirt.
Since I was 10 when REA invented electricity and 13 when we got our first TV, I never developed a taste for watching it. Maybe if I had I would have learned about fishing sooner and possibly I would have had heroes. But then I would have wasted a lot of fishing time watching other folks do it. I did know baseball players from the radio, and I was aware of Jim Shoulders and Freckles Brown.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 14:57 • #18 
Master Guide
When I was a kid, no one I knew fly fished. I read “the big three” (Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, and Sports Afield) cover to cover every month, was a member of the Outdoor Life Book Club, got the Abu-Garcia Fishing Annual every year, and spent so much time at the only store in town with a small selection of decent fly gear that people thought I lived in the basement or something. I read all the greats, but AJ McClane taught me practically everything I know about fishing that I didn’t discover on my own. He was a true “fish god.” He died before I got back from Desert Storm, and I didn’t hear about it for months after that. I was homeported in Florida upon my return, and would have loved to meet the man himself, but it wasn’t to be. I still re-read his books often.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 15:48 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Gaddabout Gaddis and Joe Brooks. Any heroes I had played baseball for the Yankees, but when it came to fishing, I paid attention to those two.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 16:24 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Most of us are just kids at heart - age is meaningless when it comes to loving fishing.
I'm still an old kid with a fish on. :hat

Post 05 Jun 2020, 19:52 • #21 
Master Guide
I watched Gadabout Gaddis. The Flying Fisherman, sponsored by Liberty Mutual. Also the show Outdoors with Liberty Mutual? I remember golfer Julius Boros was on that show, he liked to fish as much as play golf. It rotated between different hosts, but all I can remember is Boros. Anybody else remember?

Post 05 Jun 2020, 19:59 • #22 
Guide
Joe Brooks, Robert Traver, H.G. Tapply. More locally to western NC, Jim Gasque, a regional writer. I spent many hours poring over anything they wrote I could get my hands on. And of course, my dad. His fly fishing career ran from 1939 to 2008, my biggest hero still, for many reasons.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 21:17 • #23 
I really liked Jose Wejebe, he was a wonderful man, and did a lot to promote fly fishing. He was passionate about it. A great ambassador for our sport.

Post 05 Jun 2020, 21:51 • #24 
Sport
Tv shows and magazines

Post 06 Jun 2020, 09:13 • #25 
Piscator
Jim Thomas

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply