It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:28

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 May 2020, 00:05 • #1 
Guide

Overthinking line choice is a “thing” for me. Some recent posts about rod action really got me thinking, particularly a comment about one rod used with 3wt-7wt line.
If I find the comment again I’ll update with it.

First pared my Blue Halo Zen Glass 8wt (ZG) using a 280g line.
SA MTX TTN WF 8F. 10wt based on standards (can we just call it what is is?)

Perfect. Threw some deer hair, feathery and weighted flies well, even after water-logged. Large foam poppers too; big air resistance without much weight.
I would absolutely recommend over- lining this rod if throwing heavy or big profile flies. 1 - 1/0 hooks

On my first kayak outing the ZG was pared with a 210 g line.
SA WVL TTN WF 6F. 8wt based on standards (call it what it is)

Really a good fit. Threw deer hair surface flies and smallish poppers really well. I don't false cast much...more of a strip in as far as I can shoot the line kind of guy when bass fishing. If reasonably small flies were used, 6 - 1, carrying a lot more line in the air was easy. 1/0 too if sparsely dresses like a Deceiver.

Advantage here may have to go to the 280g line. The ability to better manage larger resistance flies, while still easily placing a smaller fly accurately and gently at distance may win out.

The true to weight line had a definite advantage when banging the reed line at a distance with minimal stripping-in; a much greater amount of line can be managed in the air with the lighter line. Allowing for better accuracy when picking up and throwing down the same distance.

If I try a 240g line I’ll update with that too.

A few fish from today’s outing

Post 26 May 2020, 07:13 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice bass! How is the swing weight on the Zen glass?

Post 26 May 2020, 23:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Nice looking bass !

Post 09 Jun 2020, 23:08 • #4 
Guide
Missed your question regarding swing weight.

And admittedly I’m just not good at describing casting characteristics.

My first outing with this rod was in FL fishing a “pond” with some feisty Snook. Three days of casting while walking around this body of water and I was not fatigued. Impressed with how well this rod worked into the wind, at some distance and close-in.

Using the 280g line.

It’s a lot of rod. BUT My other 8wt is a Redington Vapen. Which has the swing weight of a post. The Vapen may be the only rod I speak negatively about.

To your question, the Zen 8 swing weight is not light, but worth the effort. (If that makes sense). I can pick up a fat deer hair surface fly from 40’ and throw back down to the same spot without a false cast while sitting in my kayak...exactly why I bought it.

Post 10 Jun 2020, 07:03 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Swedish Fish!

Post 10 Jun 2020, 17:56 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
sweet report!!

I personally have found on any of my 8wt glass, if I'm fishing shooting heads (and I fish a lot of them), it's right in the 280-300 range.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 23:33 • #7 
Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
sweet report!!

I personally have found on any of my 8wt glass, if I'm fishing shooting heads (and I fish a lot of them), it's right in the 280-300 range.

Curious what your line choices are. A shooting head may be the ticket for how I cast.

On my Epic 686 I use a 175 grain SA Amplitude Smooth wf line. (6.5wt)
On my Blue Halo 7wt I use a 210 grain SA Wavelength WF Titan 6wt line. (8wt)

Choosing the correct line is a pretty individual / personal thing. Fist, no shop carries these fiberglass rods so there is no opportunity to try them. And casting style is so individual that someone may love the Epic 686 with a 175 gran line and others with a true to weight line.

Personally I don’t much care for my Epic 686 and am selling it (if anyone is interested).

As I’m casting from a sitting position in a touring kayak, my casting stroke is very different than from a boat while elevated or standing.

Enjoying the process of refining what I like to fish with....but it’s definitely a process!

Post 12 Jun 2020, 08:31 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I'm fishing mostly the SA 3D Sonar lines in the Titan taper, 280gr. They seem to perform the best for me. The downside is that They don't seem to last as long as some others (Rio being the worst for me in that regard). For my 7wt glass (and graphite), I like shooting heads in the 235-250gr range. I also like the Teeny lines, but I've had the same issue of them just not holding up. Airflo holds up to everything, I just like the SA performance a little bit better. But, if I'm fishing for carp or something else with smaller flies, then a standard WF line will be what I use. With shooting heads, your overweighting pretty heavily and shooting the rest. Great for throwing large flies. If you're in a casting competition though, stay away from them.

Cheers!

New Topic Add Reply