It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:50

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Bass rods...
Post 10 May 2020, 18:36 • #1 
Sport
I don’t fish for Bass much at all-disclaimer.
But had an opportunity to do so other day.Took the 690 Sage Method with a 7 weight.thought it would be great. We were chucking weighted, heavy flies.The Method just hated all of it, and was so bad to cast, I though something was wrong with the line...Long story,longer:
Line was fine, without a weighted fly it ripped casts out no problem;however, it is too fast to allow an open enough loop and the heavy fly can’t really keep up with the fast line action and razor loop.Like driving a sports car down a logging road.
So question: what are some good, cheap, bass fly rods that flex deeper and cast bulky/ heavy flies well.
Thanks.

Re: Bass rods...
Post 10 May 2020, 19:54 • #2 
Master Guide
Vintage Fenwick FF80 was made for bass bugging.

Post 10 May 2020, 20:02 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I use a Shakespeare 1390 Wonderod, with a WF9F bass bug taper on it.

Post 10 May 2020, 20:52 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Lots of good vintage 8ft 8wt fly rods. I have several Garcias I like for bass bugging one of which has the square grip with the stainless spigot ferrule and cost me $90 with the flat gold case. Another one of my favorites is a Phillipson blanked Orvis Full Flex 8ft 8wt. Very smooth.

Post 10 May 2020, 21:00 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
How long was your leader? Seems to me that much shorter leader needed when trying to throw heavy flies.

Barry

Post 10 May 2020, 21:15 • #6 
Sport
Not vintage and mid-priced, but the 8'6" Orvis Superfine Glass in a 6 wt may be just the ticket. I have an 8 foot 5 wt Superfine Glass that does great for bass and bluegill. It delivers bass bugs beautifully, but I don't typically fish very large poppers. The 6 wt version of that rod may delight you. They have an 8 wt also but I'd bet you would be pleased and surprised at the capabilities of the 6 wt. You should try casting it with your fly of choice when retail stores reopen.

Post 10 May 2020, 21:23 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
We were chucking weighted, heavy flies.

Look up "Belgian cast", that should get an open loop with any rod. But I doubt a 7wt is going to cast heavily weighted lures, it should do well with bass bugs and unweighted streamers. Even my heaviest 8 1/2' 9wt. rods don't like jigs over about 1/32oz.- something about mass of the line being great enough to overcome the mass of the lure.

Post 10 May 2020, 22:21 • #8 
Sport
Thanks folks,
Don’t want to sound cocky, but I can can cast, I just don’t think that Method was designed for that heavy of a fly on the end of it, even with a heavy ass leader that I had on.The rod just will not let you slow down your stroke to open up unless you have substantial line out to bend it further down the shaft.
I was forcing the rod in a Belgian style just to huck it out some distance.
I think I’m gonna try that Fenwick glass.I learned to fly fish on one of the 8 1/2 #7 or #8 weights 40 years ago :).
Is the new Fenglass any different than the old Fenwicks?
Thanks

Post 10 May 2020, 23:08 • #9 
Master Guide
I’ve never fished the new Fenglass series, but of the old Fenwicks, the FF807 or FF857 would probably work well for your application. If you want a slower action, the FF80 or FF85 may be good options. In the same general price range, don’t overlook the Scientific Anglers System 7 or 8.

Post 10 May 2020, 23:51 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't tried the old Fenwick's, but own the 6 and 7wt Fenglass. Yep, I'm a fan. The Echo BAG quickshot series might also appeal to you.

Post 11 May 2020, 03:43 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I guess it depends on what one calls heavy. My heavy stuff always 9wt or spinning gear.
My ff807 is not a weight chucker and my FF80 is more of a dry fly rod I normally use only for trout. Both my FF85s will handle weight better than the 8' rods with a 9wt Rocket taper line.
Of the four Fenwicks I own, my favorite is a Wright&McGill, followed by a St Croix. I guess I'm not a Fenwick fan club member. I have what I think is an 8 wt Heddon that will bend into the grip and out cast all my Fenwicks with anything but dries.
glassydrift, have you seen this Wiki Page https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Fenwick
on this page if you go through the listings, the model numbers that have a "B" were meant to be bass rods https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Shakespeare
A couple of older threads that touch on your question; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52298&start=0
and viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6580

Post 11 May 2020, 05:38 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Fenwick FF85.

Post 11 May 2020, 06:38 • #13 
Piscator
8' Phillipson, SA System 7

Post 11 May 2020, 07:45 • #14 
Guide
I'm with Odonata, the Fenglass rods are great fishing tools. The only one I do not have is the 8 wt. Base on the rest of the series it should be a great rod for bigger bass.

Post 11 May 2020, 07:53 • #15 
Guide
The 8’3” Fenglass 7wt makes a very good bass rod. And a good pike rod too!

Post 11 May 2020, 08:36 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
One more for the Fenglass rods. They can be found at a good price and have become my bass favorites. I use the 6 and 7 or the 7 and 8 depending on the size of stuff I’m tossing. I use the lighter rod with floating line for surface stuff and the heavier rod with streamers. I often go up a line weight. That 7’9” 6 weight is a great size and I can cast it all day.

Post 11 May 2020, 10:13 • #17 
Sport
Have enjoyed the old Fenwick FF 807 for throwing poppers and bugs, pretty big ones too, but also weighted Buggers and Clousers. Recently have been fishing the ECHO B.A.G. Quick Shot 6-weight, which may sound light, but it throws bugs very, very well n and has become my go-to bass rod.

Post 11 May 2020, 10:34 • #18 
Sport
Thanks for all the input folks.
I am now in negotiations for a previously loved 7 weight Fenwick Fiberglass from ‘72
If that doesn’t work , I’m gonna get a Fenglass.
Once I get it, I will report back on line hucking.

Post 11 May 2020, 10:49 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Before I got the Fenglass rods I used my FF807 quite a bit. The Fenglass rods are a bit faster and have lighter swing weight. The Fenglass 7 wt will handle an 8 wt line a fair bit better than the FF807, and despite being 8'3" it is as light in the hand. The Fenglass 6 wt will handle any line the FF807 tosses and is much lighter.

Post 11 May 2020, 10:54 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I second the shorter leader. Four feet is good. And stouter leader too.
Using an 8 or 9wt line would probably help a bunch as well.

To the question, I have some 7'9" garcia's that are bass buggin machies.

Post 11 May 2020, 13:39 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
For that type of fishing you need a rod at least 8'.I got into glass because the big graphite sticks create the problem you describe.For hair cork or balsa bugs i use an 8' 8wt heddon mark.For big weighted or bunny strip type flies i like my 8.d GC bass bug rod.*/9 wt with a bass bug line and short stout leader.This is basically jig or worm fishing with a fly rod.Not very practical at times.A big rod with a lot of flex and "slow" action helps a lot.I am not a great caster but can throw a big popper and most of the fly line consistently.If i am chasing bass,top water or a few feet below surface is the only practical way to fish for bass.Deeper slower jig and worm fishing is a different game IMHO.

Post 11 May 2020, 14:20 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
yes, the hersh, I think heavy jig weight fishing is a different game too and although the OP may intend to fish poppers and bass bugs, I read it that the concern was heavy stuff; indicating no top water fishing.

Question for those who recommended short leaders in this situation, is that 4' leader meant to be on a sink tip or is it meant to pull the line under with the jig?
I've done both, but I am unclear on what is being said here.

According to a catalog back in the ~'80 time frame (after Woodstream bought) "Fenglass" was explained as what others were calling "S" glass and it was said that it was what Fenwick had been using for years, iirc, a mix of glass types E & S and a special resin- but my recall isn't always perfect.. I took it the name was just a marketing gimmick for the existing line.

Post 11 May 2020, 14:22 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Funny, contrary to what I prefer for trout fishing, I use nothing but fast 9'0" graphite for all of my fly rod bass fishing. It's what I prefer because for me, it does what I need it to do regardless of the flies I am fishing, I like the length when I'm wading and the light weight at that length.

My quiver consists of a 9' 8wt Orvis Power Matrix, a 9' 7wt Winston LTX and a 9' 6wt Winston BIImx, all bought after they were discontinued for deep discounts. ;)

When fishing, I just tweak my leader length and tippet size depending on the fly size and open up my loops by changing the casting arc when necessary and all is well.

What I have discovered over the years are some "specialty" lines really need to be tried, before they are "buy-ed" because many rods might like the next size lighter or something completely different for different sized flies. Case in point; I HATE the Rio Closer line for anything!! However, I LOVE a 333 Bass Bug line I have that is at least 30 years old but in like new condition because I baby it.

For that reason when I bought my 9' 6wt BIImx, I put in many hours of research, picking the brains and explaining my application and casting style to Rio and Sci-Anglers. I chose the Rio Smallmouth line and couldn't be happier!!

Obviously YMMV.

Post 11 May 2020, 16:35 • #24 
Administrator
Trev wrote:
According to a catalog back in the ~'80 time frame (after Woodstream bought) "Fenglass" was explained as what others were calling "S" glass and it was said that it was what Fenwick had been using for years, iirc, a mix of glass types E & S and a special resin- but my recall isn't always perfect.. I took it the name was just a marketing gimmick for the existing line.

I have a 1977 Fenwick catalog that introduces Fenglass as a 'higher modulus' fiberglass material. That implies S-glass. That year Fenglass was used in the Lunkerstik 2000 bass rods. There is no mention of Fenglass in any of the other rod lines. I also have a 1988 Fenwick rod blank catalog that lists the fly rod blanks (images below). The only blank specified as Fenglass is the 12 weight. Fenwick was not shy about advertising their higher modulus materials. I have not found any documentation or advertisements stating S-glass was used in the Feralite fly rods. If anyone has early 80s Fenwick catalogs, it would be great if they could post some images.

Tom

Post 11 May 2020, 18:29 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Tom,i considered a heavy weight fenwick for a bass,BBi don't agree with using a "fast" rod for bass bugs but we may be talking about different things.Weedless bugs,poppers sliders divers etc are like a big round bobber on the end of the line.If the rod is too fast it creates havoc trying to pull a very non aerodynamic thing along with it.I like to throw bugs on top of the salad and really wrestle those bass out of there also.Carbon is too fragile for that.If your talking stream small mouths i do fine with a 5 or 6 wt and the flies are not hear as big and casts are 40 feet or less.I have med heavy fenwick spinning rod that i catch most of my bass on and pretty much the same bait if i just want to catch a lot of fish.But i would rather 1 fish on the surface than 10 any other way.I guess if i lived where trout do i would be a dry fly guy.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply