It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:26

New Topic Add Reply
Barklay’s GP
Post 31 Mar 2020, 16:42 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Got a 5pc. 4/5 last July from Chris and took it out with 2 lines.I started fishing down stream using a Teeny 4wt. Mini sink tip with a cone head bugger and it worked great was able to roll cast 40’ with no problem landed a 18” cutt.I started fishing upstream with a Rio Gold 4 and dry dropper combo and the more I fish it the more I like how versatile it is.Anyone fishing a 5wt. with theirs?......Thanks Aurelio

Re: Barklay’s GP
Post 02 Apr 2020, 21:24 • #2 
Guide
I have the 3 piece GP which is said to have slightly less power than your 5 piece. I like using a Cortland 444sl DT 4, SA GPX 4 and also a Rio Gold 5 for fishing bigger flies like buggers and panfish poppers. I actually prefer casting with the Rio Gold because I can feel the parabolic butt kick in with less line out but still easily cast 40’ without feeling overloaded.I really need to try 406 5 wt with it.

Post 04 Apr 2020, 11:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the info........Aurelio

Post 04 Apr 2020, 14:27 • #4 
Guide
I've got the 3 piece GP as well and find a 406 DT4F works. Same with the 82 Tailwater Special, while "marked" 4-5, the rod performs better with the same DT4.

Now, his older "Progressive" Series rods from St Louis have a single designated line weight and they work very well (for me) with the indicated line.

Post 05 Apr 2020, 00:57 • #5 
Sport
I’ve a 5pc GP
So far I’ve tried the following lines on it
Barrio Mallard DT 5 which was nice for up to 40ft but felt a touch heavy for me beyond that.
Barrio GT90 in both 4wt and 5wt. The rod loves both these lines the 4wt especially felt really nice for casting that bit further with smaller flies up to a size 12 and 17-20 ft leaders the 5 felt really nice at all distances with flies up to an 8. On a variety of leaders.
I also tried a Barrio SLX in 4 and 5 wt on it as these are my main goto Nymphing lines, interestingly the 4wt was just OK and where I expected the 5wt to be a bit too much for it, the rod loved it. I tried everything from double nymph rigs with an indicator to single size 14 dries and it was great with all of them at all distances. Most likely this is the line I would go for unless I was fishing a spinner fall and then I’d probably opt for a 4wt GT90.
I abuse my rods and expect them to do all sorts so I even tried a 5wt Airflo Gallop short head streamer line which has a very fast sinking tip with a 5” articulated weighted streamer and it dealt with that Much better than expected, certainly impressed me with being able to cover the river and still control the retrieve.
Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I’ll get to try some SA lines on it too, VPT, infinty and Anadro in 4’s and 5’s so I’ll will update then.

Post 08 Apr 2020, 11:01 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again for all the great info.I also tried a Rio grande 6 but was a little to much and a old SA XPS 5 DT which was very nice.........Aurelio

Post 08 Apr 2020, 12:50 • #7 
Master Guide
I've got one here that I am taking for a test drive. It's a 3pc. I've fished it once at Blue Springs Creek and have lawn cast it a few times. On all occasions it has been with a 406 DT4. As I gave Chris my personal feedback I can't imagine this rod as anything other than a really, really nice 4wt.

Post 09 Apr 2020, 09:02 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
You need to take it on bigger water to really appreciate it.How is that creek doing I found it tough to fish because they were so spooky but was well worth the trip to catch a few of those beautiful Mc Clouds.The section I use to fish was up from a culvert that went under the highway it was fairly brushy and a short 3wt. was the key and were it flows into the meramec was not as productive as higher up on the creek.Joe I might be coming home this summer for a short visit and will send you a pm if I do.........Aurelio

Post 09 Apr 2020, 09:38 • #9 
Master Guide
I'm considering the Barclay GP for the possibility of a light dry/dropper stick. I usually grab the 64P as Chris pretty much designed that rod with that creek in mind.

As far as BSC, it's in great shape Aurelio. It's a tough little piece of water for sure, but patience and stealth are the key. One of those places where the drier you stay the better off your fishing will be. By all means drop me a line if you get back to STL. We can fish a couple of creeks for some wild rainbows.

Post 09 Apr 2020, 10:07 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds great Joe..........Aurelio

New Topic Add Reply