It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:56

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Mar 2020, 10:52 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Flying internationally with fly rods and flies isn’t that big a deal. I took two rods with lots of flies to Europe two summers ago.

The biggest hurdle I found is whether or not a country allows rods as carry-on luggage. But I was able to fit a 4-piece rod inside it’s tube diagonally in my suitcase, so I just checked everything.

FYI, the 8’9” ********* was one of the rods I took with me.

Post 29 Mar 2020, 13:35 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
This is probably not particularly useful to you as I only fished small streams the handful of times I've traveled and fished in MT, mostly of it in Yellowstone and Glacier NP. Each time, I had my 4pc, 6.5 Featherlight and sometime I took a second, brown glass vintage 6.5ft Featherlight that was much whippier than the 4pc. An 17-18" fish was the biggest thing I ever encountered and even with the days of wind, the Featherlights got it done. But If I were to expand my horizons the next time in Montana. I'd probably bring something like 8.5ft, 5 or 6 wt and 7ft, 3 or 4wt, which the later I only have in graphite. :\

Post 30 Mar 2020, 10:49 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I think a versatile 6wt, what I would refer to as a trout 6 at 8’ to 9’. Theb a smaller stream rod, probably 7’6” to 8’ 4wt.

Post 30 Mar 2020, 13:37 • #29 
Master Guide
Mr. eagle_fly- Of my fiberglass rods for airline travel I choose my 6 weight 8 footer (McFarland 4 piece). I think that this one rod would probably cover mostly all needs from delicate small creek work to bigger water uses. Unless there were specific requirements for some place you will fish I don't see much advantage to including a lighter or heavier rod to take on a Montana trip.

Post 31 Mar 2020, 14:19 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Golfswithwolves wrote:
Of my fiberglass rods for airline travel I choose my 6 weight 8 footer (McFarland 4 piece). I think that this one rod would probably cover mostly all needs from delicate small creek work to bigger water uses. Unless there were specific requirements for some place you will fish I don't see much advantage to including a lighter or heavier rod to take on a Montana trip.

While that rod (or one like it) could well serve almost all purposes on a Montana trip, I always take (at least) two rods on a trip. Putting aside that conditions may not be as expected and you really want a heavier or more delicate rig than anticipated, stuff happens; in the 35 + years I’ve fly fished, I’ve had several rod or reel failures. Having another rig back at the car has saved that day for fishing, even if it’s not a first choice for that spot. Sure, you might be able to get to a shop, buy something, and get back, but even in a heavily visited area, that could be a couple of hours, or maybe all day. But besides the $ cost of that, on a weeklong trip, with unfortunate weather, the time cost could feel a lot higher. It happens that I own multiple rods, and feel there’s really no reason not be prepared for a little trouble; a lot of rod tubes seem to fit two rods, and if not, one’s easy to find. And that the second rod (and reel) is a little more fine-tuned to some of the variety I hope to enjoy is just a bonus.

Post 31 Mar 2020, 21:19 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Del Gue wrote:
A few years ago when I went I took a 4 and a 6, and then won a 5, which is what I caught my fish on.

Won the 5 at the 'clave, heard Dusty's dad talking about the purple haze at the 'clave, went forth and caught fish using the won rod and the purple haze! First trout on a fly rod, and first trout in the Rocky Mountains. It was a damn fine trip!!!

I remember those events! A great day!

I took a bunch of rods up there, mostly so people could get a look at some vintage glass rods. Fished my Lamiglas 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt on the streams and fished a Fenwick FF-79, 8 ft, 6 wt on the bigger water. I'd probably take those two if I could only take two. Maybe the FF-806 would edge out the FF-79 if I didn't plan to fish on top most of the time or if I was going to be throwing big hoppers. Here is the Lami at work on a fine cutthroat amid some fish-landing challenges.

Post 31 Mar 2020, 21:32 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
My Fisher 8'6" (5-8 wt) and Airrite 6'9" (3-5wt). Bases covered.

Post 31 Mar 2020, 21:42 • #33 
Master Guide
Upstreeam wrote:
Golfswithwolves wrote:
Of my fiberglass rods for airline travel I choose my 6 weight 8 footer (McFarland 4 piece). I think that this one rod would probably cover mostly all needs from delicate small creek work to bigger water uses. Unless there were specific requirements for some place you will fish I don't see much advantage to including a lighter or heavier rod to take on a Montana trip.

While that rod (or one like it) could well serve almost all purposes on a Montana trip, I always take (at least) two rods on a trip. Putting aside that conditions may not be as expected and you really want a heavier or more delicate rig than anticipated, stuff happens; in the 35 + years I’ve fly fished, I’ve had several rod or reel failures. Having another rig back at the car has saved that day for fishing, even if it’s not a first choice for that spot. Sure, you might be able to get to a shop, buy something, and get back, but even in a heavily visited area, that could be a couple of hours, or maybe all day. But besides the $ cost of that, on a weeklong trip, with unfortunate weather, the time cost could feel a lot higher. It happens that I own multiple rods, and feel there’s really no reason not be prepared for a little trouble; a lot of rod tubes seem to fit two rods, and if not, one’s easy to find. And that the second rod (and reel) is a little more fine-tuned to some of the variety I hope to enjoy is just a bonus.

Mr. Upstreeam- That's a good point; would you then recommend two rods of the same specification?

Post 31 Mar 2020, 21:57 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
It wouldn't be a bad idea to have two identical spec rods--in 'glass that would be a 6 weight for all around coverage, the second one as a backup. Similarly, the thinking in my response is that I would have two different fiberglass rods, but relatively close in specification, such that either would do in most circumstances if something happened to the other one. It's the same idea as the old truism, "beware the one-gun man."

Post 01 Apr 2020, 16:58 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I almost always carry a Lamiglas 6 1/2 ft, 3 wt, 6 pc, (which I actually fish with a 4, or 5wt line) in my backpack so I have a spare rod on every trip, if needed. That rod is short but it will do the job if needed and having a spare on your person is pretty nice.

Post 02 Apr 2020, 20:06 • #36 
Master Guide
Only two rods?.....probably my Dickerson 8014 six weight and my Orvis 7.5 foot Battenkill, both bamboo. For glass, I would want my SA System 7 and my Kennedy Fisher 8 footer for a 6 weight. In graphite it would be my Orvis Far and Fine and my Limestone Special.

Post 02 Apr 2020, 22:23 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Golfswithwolves wrote:
Mr. Upstreeam- That's a good point; would you then recommend two rods of the same specification?

If you mean would I take, for instance, an FF806, and then as a backup, a second FF806, no, I wouldn’t. There’s a nice variety of water in Montana, a likely a variety of weather conditions on a trip. If I expected a 6 wt to serve regularly, I’d probably take something like a 4 wt for smaller waters or calmer conditions. It would primarily serve a different purpose than the 6 wt and only serve on the water where a 6 would be preferred if need be.

Post 03 Apr 2020, 10:24 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty irresistible to take two rods two line weights apart or different lengths but for the same weight. Not mentioned much, a vast range of variety with just a single line weight, in fiberglass let's say a 5 or 6, is possible in different lines and leaders, so luggage could be devoted to that. One DT, one WF+1 of the DT line weight, one intermediate, and a couple of sink tips--one long and moderate sink rate, one short fast sink rate. Five reels, loaded up with a chosen variety of fly lines, one pack of leader/tippet material is the "one gun" way.

Post 04 Apr 2020, 10:03 • #39 
Master Guide
I think I'd take my Steffen 3/4 wt for everyday -- dry and nymph -- use. Since I'd also spend a lot time chasing lunkers, I'd use my Tom Morgan Unity with the Universe for serious streamer work. (Both courtesy of Graywolf by the way.)

If travelling by air -- uuggh!-- they would travel in a serious, indestructible, two gun, case as protection against baggage handler/gorillas along with waders, wading staff, etc.

There'd be room for another rod or two from ********* on the way back too.

Heddonist

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply