It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:56

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Overlining?
Post 19 Mar 2020, 15:49 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
I don't throw stuff near as big as you CM but i do throw some big bass bugs that are very wind resistant.I am throwing These on an 8.5 GC bass bug rod with a 9wt bass bug taper and it launches these things 70 80 feet.I have thrown the whole line a couple times.I tried overlining a Gowdy parametric 8'6 7 wt which is usually a cannon but the the bugs just sucked the life out of the rod at 40'.The GC bass bug rod is glass sleeve ferrule and stout but light and even with a big heavily dressed bug it develops some real line speed with a good haul that really flings some line.I am reaching some weedlines and pads that were out of range on a couple small local lakes.
'

Post 19 Mar 2020, 16:07 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
hersh,

Oh yeah, I do have to be careful with my Bandit in that once you get over 400gr, it just deadens it too much. Plus, I limit my fly size to 8-9" max when using that rod. Even with just a 30' head, a 60' cast isn't too much of a problem. Since I fish out of a boat, I can always move closer, but I'd say that the vast majority of my casts are in the 50' range with some up to 75' and some as little as 20'. For that style of fishing, it's just a waste of energy to false cast more than a time or two (actually it's a waste with any type of fishing) and with all of that weight in the 30', it's just far easier to fire it away after minimal false casting and still make throwing the larger payload easy.

I've noticed the same with my Gowdy (mine's a 7'6" 6/7), but it's a damn rocket with virtually any streamer under 4", not to mention a damn fine dry fly rod with a standard 6wt line. For my trout streamer fishing (and smallie and surfperch), my BAG Quickshot 7wt has way more guts to throw junk when necessary.

Post 19 Mar 2020, 16:37 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I don't own many modern glass and all are 3wts.The BAG rods are not expensive and seem right up my ally.I do have some elderly aunts ,3 of them who all live on the gulf in FL.I have an open invite,i think a 9wt would a good choice for local preds and carp and some saltwater canal fishing and inland bass.

Post 21 Mar 2020, 07:00 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
My fisher rod has a 5-8 wt window and throws all of them very well. It is like having 4 rods in 1. The fly or whatever line I have determines what is used. The line wt will correspond to distance but for me that is not an issue as most of my cast are within 40 ft.

For rods I build I do not put line wt on the rod anymore. Line wt is very subjective. Even for me the 5wt line used one day with excellent results will seem to suck the next day and changing to a 7wt line is better. Then the next day the 5wt line just seems to feel better than the 7wt line.

That has been my journey regarding over lining.

Post 21 Mar 2020, 11:05 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
OK, I set my all time overline record last night. I picked up a $30 Chinese 9' 3/4 wt rod. The 7' rod in the same line is a true 3/4 wt rod. The 9' worked best with a 7/8 wt bass taper line.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68401

Post 24 Mar 2020, 21:04 • #31 
Master Guide
ijuin rods are in a class of there own. im really impressed with tomo's blanks, they load up close like they were made to do just that one job but then they turn around and will lay out 55' casts with out feeling stressed out. i under line them, over line them. just a special blank. as for line weight on rods and lines, unless the maker specifies a make and model with the weight i don't pay any attention to what they say. so many different tapers load so many different ways and paying $100 for line doesn't guarantee your getting the best match for the rod.

Post 05 Apr 2020, 21:32 • #32 
Sport
I have the Yomogi 7.5-ft, 4 wt. First few times casting, then fishing it, was just OK. When I "overlined" it with a WF5, I found I could do one-handed spey-type casts... no false casting, just efficiently getting the fly back in the water. I now fish what I thought would be a small stream rod on larger, western rivers flowing ~3,000 cfs.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply