It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:14

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Strike indicators
Post 01 Apr 2020, 11:02 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
I fly fish with indicators all the time and have no illusions about the terminology, methodology or make any apologies about using them.

It is a very effective way to fish sub-surface, especially on really small streams where a deep hole is two feet and a suspended fly is the ticket. Most often I use a plain piece of yarn looped on my leader. (is that still a bobber? ;)) and sometimes a foam football type. Not to mention, a tiny peppercorn sized piece of Strike Putty on my leader about 10" - 14" above a size 24 -32 midge pupa is one of the best ways I know to fish those dinky flies in moving water that isn't perfectly flat & slow.

I also bait fish with bobbers and I still find it one of my absolutely favorite ways to fish, period.

BTW - Bass pros & amateurs refer to their lures as "baits". Would the crowd that snickers at the term "indicator" be upset if the folks that use the term indicator, stated calling their flies baits...? ;)

Post 01 Apr 2020, 11:28 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
Bill Sonnett wrote:
Old School

I have a bunch of those,ice fishing bobbers is what we used those for.

Post 01 Apr 2020, 12:59 • #53 
Sport
I greatly enjoy poking fun at the seriousness and pretense that surrounds fly fishing at times. It is my #1 passion but I like to laugh and find the humor in things. To laugh at myself. I've been calling them bobbers for years and Bam, now I'm adding "bait" to my vernacular lol. Thank you. Awesome. I'm already the guy that pulls out the mops and squirmy worms whenever I find a gathering of more than 2 ffers pondering how to match the hatch just to be have some good natured fun. Mostly to jag my buddies but it turns out they work really well......lol.
Good stuff. Hard to believe we made it 3 pages on a bobber thread.

Post 01 Apr 2020, 13:14 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe the only thing worse than the dudes calling a bobber an indicator are the dudes complaining about the dudes calling a bobber an indicator....have fun with that one.

Now, back to finishing up Tiger King...

Post 01 Apr 2020, 17:36 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
I've always called them floats as that's what they do.An indicator is a bobber but could be just a float.I think if you are using it to suspend a fly/bait/lure/bug or whatever you call the thing with the hook in it,it's a float.If you are using something to alert you to a bite,strike .take or eat it is an indicator or detector.These are not necessarily floats.They can be pieces of yarn or the varying colors of mono or your finger via nerve endings or simply good eyes with good sunglasses.Just a little hyper here.We had to cancel our annual fishing trip officially today.Been going for over 20 years and there is no rescheduling.Cabins are booked a year in advance.Alot of the guys that go are in their 70s and 80s,gotta keep em safe.

Post 01 Apr 2020, 20:29 • #56 
Guide
It's really a fish alert apparatus .

Post 01 Apr 2020, 21:29 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
I will admit, when conditions permit me to high stick nymph, I catch more and bigger fish. But, if the conditions are not right for some reason, a strike indicator keeps me in the game...though I must admit an indicator makes me fish "lazier".

Post 02 Apr 2020, 10:37 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
I see the point in that PG.It is hard for me to sit still while fishing.There are times when i am fishing with family and friends and they want to camp out on an area and fish minnows for crappies or cut bait for cats.Something about watching a float drift under knowing it is probably a good fish makes it worth while.

Post 02 Apr 2020, 21:40 • #59 
Master Guide
“Hard to believe we made it 3 pages on a bobber thread”

A side effect of the times were living in currently I suspect. Cabin fever is strong and getting worse. Thank God for dispersed camping in the National Forest. I have a feeling I’ll be doing a lot of that this year to avoid going absolutely insane.

Post 05 Apr 2020, 21:24 • #60 
Sport
When I was a twenty something, I first heard the term "strike indicator"... which I had known my whole life as a bobber.

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply