It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:14

New Topic Add Reply
SA Amplitude DT Lines
Post 19 Jan 2020, 11:54 • #1 
Master Guide
Has anyone tried this line? It's expensive but I think this is the only textured dt line available. Looks like it's a true 6 wt (160 grains) and only 85' long. I like the weight but wish it was at least 90'.
My favorite DT line so far is SA mastery dt. I hear 406 is good but I've never cast it.

I wish Cortland still sold 444sl dt...

Post 19 Jan 2020, 12:31 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Being slightly shorter is nice as it allows for slightly more backing and/or no need to use a larger reel.
406 DTs are also shorter (80ft).

Amplitudes are quite expensive (the most expensive?) lines. Not quite sure why you'd want to fork out an extra $30+?
I've used anything from H&H lines (both WF and DT) which are just $29 during sale, SA Mastery and 406. Basically below $80 and they are all great lines.

Post 19 Jan 2020, 13:02 • #3 
Guide
ibookje wrote:
Being slightly shorter is nice as it allows for slightly more backing and/or no need to use a larger reel.
406 DTs are also shorter (80ft).

Just as an aside, the 406 lines in size DT6 and up are 90' long and DT5 and under are 80' long.

Tom

Post 19 Jan 2020, 13:27 • #4 
Master Guide
Got ya. I'm looking into this because it's the only textured dt line I can find and I think textures lines shoot better. That advantage combined with the advantages of being able to carry and mend lots of line (because of the dt taper) have me thinking about it.

I have tried most dt lines HH, 444, 444sl, mastery. I agree they are all good lines - I liked 444sl the best. I will eventually try 406. Are there any other textured DT options besides amplitude?

Post 19 Jan 2020, 14:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
novisor12 wrote:
Are there any other textured DT options besides amplitude?

Apparently, the Airflo Superflo Elite DT utilizes their "Ridge Technology".

Coincidentally, this line and the Amplitude both feature two different colors on each end, while the Airflo additionally offers a different taper on both ends. As I am a fan of DT's being the same on both ends, I am interested in neither line although I do own an Airflo Super-DRI Elite DT (the old name) that I bought not realizing the tapers were different on either end. I do like it, however I doubt I'll ever buy another.

I use Mastery DT's on everything else I like a DT on save for bamboo. As far as textured lines go, I like real silk.

Post 19 Jan 2020, 18:16 • #6 
Sport
This isn’t going to help but I did just pick up the DT4 & DT5 at a deal $30 a line but have not used them yet. I’m hoping the work good. I’ve really liked the SA lines and the cortland 444. I’ll give a update when I get out.

Post 20 Jan 2020, 07:44 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I often use the SA sharkskin DT which is the precursor to these lines. I really like textured lines, especially for older rods that perhaps don't have as many guides as they should because it helps with hauling feel and shoot. SA lines have always been pretty good so would be surprised if these were not.

If you don't like the price just wait for them to go on clearance...... I could see saving on lines for applications where presentation isn't particularly challenging and environments that are tough on lines but otherwise a good line is a priority in my books.

Post 20 Jan 2020, 10:30 • #8 
Sport
I will echo the praise for the 406 DT lines and add praise for Hook & Hackle's DT lines as well. Hook & Hackle lines go on sale occasionally and are a really good deal; they seem to last forever. I've never used a textured DT line but have used SA Sharkskin and Mastery Textured Series WF lines. IMO the Sharkskin lines are just TOO textured; they can actually tear the skin on your fingers up a bit. The Mastery Textured Series lines are not so overly textured. Textured lines do really fly through the guides, but the sound is a bit disconcerting to me and textured lines get dirtier faster; and don't even think about using a line dressing on them. I've found that they just don't float as well if any type of dressing is used.

All that being said, I have purchased my last textured line. I've sold a couple that I had used a couple of times and currently only have one...a SA Mastery Textured Series GPX Taper WF-6-F. I only have it because I rarely use a 6-wt. and if I do, it's out west on fairly large water where I might need to make some long casts.

Post 20 Jan 2020, 15:21 • #9 
Master Guide
Thanks. I agree textured lines make a difference on rods which have too few or small ring sized guides.

New Topic Add Reply