It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:49

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Jan 2020, 17:35 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I remember when folks spoke and coveted (still covet) the rods from a batch of anglers mail blanks finished out by our very own tight loops Andy.

I am now a member and fan of the Andy club upon receiving what may be his last Fisher 8'6" rod. The rod states lines 5-7 and it fishes both a 5 and 7wt with remarkable ease. The threadwork, length markers, metal ferrules ring and finish makes this a truly custom fishing tool from a rod builder whose passion/knowledge would not be out of place among names like Vince Cummings.

Although the water conditions were less than ideal after a few days of rain, I had to get the rod out on the water since parking lot wiggle tests do not reveal a rod's character. The Fisher rod handled the water conditions with aplomb. It roll cast incredibly and threw lines short and long with feel and fun. This instantly became my favorite rod as a smile crept across my face. This rod will continue to be my favorite as I am done acquiring rods. Conditions requiring 5 and up to even 8wt lines is in this rod's wheelhouse. Ron once mentioned the cummings water witch being able to handle a wide range of lines and I thought about that comment fishing this rod.

My rods arsenal now includes this 8'6" 5-8wt fisher, a Scientific Angler System 7'7" 5wt (really a 6-7wt), and a 10pc 3-5wt Airrite Stream for travel and hiking.

I still need to match a reel for the Fisher. My Martin LM 5-6 and Hardy Golden LRH may be a tad too light. Any suggestions?

Anyway, if you get a chance to get an Old Yankee Rod then jump on it.

Thanks again Andy.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 18:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful rod! SA System 2 67 would probably do well on that rod.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 20:43 • #3 
Master Guide
Great fly rod and well built without question. My vote, a Hardy St. George 3 3/8" reel.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 20:48 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
“Done acquiring rods”?!?!
I’m sorry but I’m going to have to report this post as inappropriate content.
Beautiful rod. It’s too bad that you’re going to have to leave the forum with your radical ideas.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 21:56 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Brock, really, I really mean it this time...No more rods.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 22:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Fantastic. You have one of the best from one of the best. The one I built on that same blank has been a favorite for--gosh--I think it's thirty-plus years now. Most used line is a DT 6. Most used reels, various Martins (67, MG7, 67SS) and a JW Young 1525, which is probably the reel I got about the same time with that rod in mind.

I get it about no more rods, at least not willy-nilly. No more need to look for something "better." Another Fisher or two in 8,' and 9' would be hard to resist. Sometimes once you stop looking, the next great one just turns up.

Post 19 Jan 2020, 10:46 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Manchester built 8'6" Sceptre -- does it all! I use a Sage 106M on mine but any of the Martins will work. I sometimes use a 67SSA.

Last edited by picketpin52 on 19 Jan 2020, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Jan 2020, 11:08 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Yup The Sage 106M is a Young-made 1525 rebadged. LL Bean had a Guide-series reel that was a rebadged 1525. Classic outfit, very hard to beat. The Daiwa Lochmoor click-pawl is another I use, with its gesture to modernity, a large arbor.

Post 19 Jan 2020, 11:26 • #9 
Guide
Hey All,

I've been offline for a while but had to chime in on this post.

I was lucky enough to meet Andy pretty soon after I moved to CT in 2004. He mentored me in trout fishing, gear collecting, and more importantly, became a life-long friend.

Though I'm a little biased, I can still tell a decent fly rod from one that's run of the mill, and Andy has made some absolutely fantastic pieces for me over the years. I've got examples (at least one each) from his signature series production runs: Wulff one piece, Vince Cummings, Sceptre (many sizes of those), Reed, come to mind. I also have several custom builds on Kennedy Fisher blanks, lamiglass, a kick-ass switch rod, etc. Aside from that, I've got an arsenal of Andy-built cane and restored rods, including a handful of F.E. Thomas cane.

Andy is one of what must be a handful of people with such an encyclopedic knowledge of rod building, it's astounding.

He's the best and so are his builds.

Josh

Post 20 Jan 2020, 10:04 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I'm Thrilled the New Rod suits your needs,meets your expectations in terms of the custom work.
Makes me sorta green with envy,wishing I could get down to 3 rods ;)

Quote:
I still need to match a reel for the Fisher. My Martin LM 5-6 and Hardy Golden LRH may be a tad too light. Any suggestions?

I'm a firm believer that as a Rod Smith it's my responsibility to see to it that you the end user have a perfect balance of Rod and Reel.
You may recall that I offered to Script The Rod With Your Name and Balance the rod perfectly to your existing reel,or offer you suggestions to find the best suited reel to balance the rod.

Because the work was going to delay the delivery time by a week you refused my additional services,offered naturally at no charge.

No Worries Your Part Of The Old Yankee Rodsmiths Family Of Fly Fisherman Now,I'm at your service at the ready to help you.

People ask me all the time to endorse products,"please give me a plug and I'll do the same for you,hada hada hada."
We see this stuff here all the time,one guy told me it was so sickening he couldn't stand it any more,said we should change the name to the the FFR mutual admiration society.

Anyhow the reason allot of people don't exactly cotton to me is because I don't play those games.
If I Like something I say so, if it sucks I'll say so,or I say nothing, or I'll say I prefer something that I do actually like and do use.

When you make fishing rods Fly Reels and Fly Lines are one of those things people tend to ask you to plug.
I Fish and Use almost exclusively Cortland 444 Fly Lines.
Have no connection nor have I ever had any connection to the manufacturer.
Other Than The Lines Work Best And Have Been The Best Performing Fly Lines For Me For Over 50 Years.
As They say your mileage may vary ???

At one time I had over 50 reels lined up with all kinds of different lines from just about every line manufacturer you can think of.
Some of those lines performed amazingly well, Some I really liked,Some really sucked.
One line in particular stood out it was a Winner, H.L. Leonard 3/4 or 3 1/2 weight so much so that I moved the line over onto my MG3 to fish on my small stream rods,I Have no clue whom actually made the line ?

Because I use Cortland 444 Lines when I test cast a rod during the rod making process,determining guide size,number of guides and proper placement etc Cortland 444 lines are the driving force.
You could say that My Custom Made Rods are made to cast 444 Lines.
Something to think about.
When people ask me what line I say Cortland 444 however due to sales hype few listen.

I'm gonna share My fishing reels with you,these are the reels I most often fish with.Actually broke down my rods to line these reels up for you yesterday.

The Big Cortland 444 or Intrepid,Can't Remember who else marketed these reels are by far MY Favorite reels for rods over 8',Actually My #5 DT is on the Big Cortland Reel,I loaded mine up with tons of backing,by doing so the reel gets the effects of being a large arbor of sorts,you could use Toms trick of adding cork to the I.D. of the spool.

I do fish my 8' Fisher with the Smaller Cortland Little Multiplier,Also Lined with a DT 5 The reel was previously owned by a guy named Fishy something or another ?? the reel came with 2 extra spools with different weight lines all ironically 444 lines. ;)
These reels are dirt cheap and perform like the cats pajamas I really like them,the big one 3 1/2" will balance that 8'6" Fisher Perfectly.
The Line Up
Another 444 "Fishys" 3 1/4" DT #6,DT #5,DT,#4
Young badge Herters 3 1/2" WF #6
Marvel Allcocks 3" WF DT# 5
Hardy Featherweight 2 7/8" DT #4
Abercrombie Fitch MEEK 2 7/8" WF# 4
Martin MG 3 DT 3" DT # 3 1/2
Stuart Poor Mans Perfect 3" DT# 3
These Are My Reels Lined Up For Trout Fishing,The lines are all floating.
Naturally I have other reels and lines that I use Bass Fishing,My shooting tapers and such it's endless.
For one example another favorite is a #8 Cortland Bass Bug Taper on my 9' Sceptre with a Bevins Reel that performs like a champ.
Now I'm going to really share something today,My Favorite Fisher Fiberglass Rod was made by another Custom Rod Maker,I've tried to find out more about the Maker but failed,I'd Love to know more about the man.
The Quality of the work Screams Master Rod Maker,everything about the rod is absolutely perfectly done.
The only thing I would have done differently would be the addition of a ferrule support ring.
I'll get some pictures of my Favorite Fisher Rod Up.
Now I'm Not Sure who actually made the rod because it has 2 names on the rod.
The Main Script Reads as follows
A.V."Bud" Jones Jr
Reno Nevada
Fisher no. 2069
9' for No. 5/6 Lines

Then Just Above the very cool signature wrap is what I think is the Makers name in small print
Dick Herberth 83
Maybe we should be starting a Fan Club for Dick Herberth !
Thanks Again Whirlpool The Rods A Winner !!!!

Thanks to all my friends, appreciate your kindness more than you could ever know,your all tops in my book as well,Josh your the best friend a guy could have, hope we get to splash around together in the Farmy Very Soon.

Guess now would be a good time to offer more rods on the for sale forum ,I'm working to get some rods ready for the Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association Expo next month,do have some rods to offer if your interested you can send me a PM.
Got Some Phillipsons Hanging Around :eek

I'm stubborn listed the Wondermutt Complete Fishing Outfit for sale in December at an absolute giveaway price point,yet had very little interest.
You might do well to give that another closer look. ;) Just Sayin

Again Thank you for all you kindness,I'm thrilled the Fisher rod arrived safely and most of all I'm tickled by your kind comments,welcome again to the Old Yankee Rod Smiths Family Of Fly Fisherman,Remember if you ever need anything feel free to give me a call, you now have all my contact information at your finger tips,Looking Forward to hearing from you so we can work together to sort out your balance issues,I'm always happy to help whenever I can.

Tight Lines And Classic Fiberglass Loops
Andy M

Post 20 Jan 2020, 10:39 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Haha! Steady, big fella. That is only the second-best 9' midweight line 'glass rod ever. Now and then--I saw one just recently--that Fisher blank or builds on it still show up, but not for the pocket change I paid. Honesty compels me to say I'd have never let it go if I didn't have the first-best ever. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50692&p=286113&hilit=Cortland+Leon+Chandler#p286113 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40246&p=142787&hilit=Cortland+Leon+Chandler#p142787
Those Fisher-blank 9 footers are the ones I had in mind that could end a no-more-rods resolution. Toss a backcast straight up, mend line across the width of a Battenkill chute, and it's over.

Now you're buckin' to make me put an Intrepid Gear Fly on it. Will do, but I'll have a spare Martin MG10 in my vest pocket.

Post 21 Jan 2020, 07:11 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Yeppers Whirly Ha ha ha .
You Old Duffers Really Know Your Stuff,How Are The Black Flies This Time Of Year AAAhaaaaa. ???

Dad and I were fishing some tributary that flowed into Lake Sebago,we were catching 6" Brookies one right after another swinging Parmachene Belles.
Some Cronie of the Old Mans had told him where these monster Brooke Trout could be had.
I was fishin my 7' 5 Star Garcia when all of a sudden my rod bends over into the back end.
I'm holding on for dear life and the lines screaming off the 1494 1/2 reel.
Back Then I could only afford 333 lines on the little coin I earned delivering news papers.

The fish was about 16" but man was I excited,telling the story now actually brings me back.
Naturally Dad had 3 nice fish in his creel one that was about 1/2" bigger than mine.
Remember when the size of the fish caught gave you bragging rights.

On the way out back to the car ,heading down the path we almost ran head on into a Moose,
We were gabbing away about the fishing when we looked ahead and there it was,we hid behind a tree until the moose meandered away.

Wow those Leon Chandler rods are truly a thing of beauty,I wonder if it's the Fisher 2069 blank.
Or if the Chandler was another of Joes Variations or Leons Pick of the Fisher Litter ??.

That does it you and I are now going to have to get together this season so we can cast those rods side by side.
How about a week camping at the Entwhistle Stretch of the Battenkill in June ???

In your picture I can't help but notice you have a copy of the paperwork for those 444 reels.
any chance you have posted those pages or could post them.
Never got the paperwork with any of my reels.??

Tight Lines And Antlers In The Tree By Who Goosed The Moose :lol Loops
Andy M

Post 22 Jan 2020, 02:12 • #13 
Sport
Wow Andy,your story along with your knowledge of fishing and rod building,thankyou and Whirlpool for sharing,the history in this post shines

Regards from Australia

Steve

Post 22 Jan 2020, 07:10 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Welcome Aboard Mate !!
We are fortunate to have an amazing gathering of folks here on FFR.

The common theme of fishing and classic fiberglass fly rods makes for a great fertilizer of topics that never seem to get old.

Thanks Whirly and Thanks to Tom for getting the Reel Paper Work up to snuff.
Seems we had the paperwork it just had been buggered up with the photo mishap.

Have noticed some differences between the reels,I'm not sure if it's due to the time frame the reels were made or the badging ?????
Some have metal gears and some have plastic,I had a situation with stripped gears on one of my reels but can't remember if it was the plastic or metal gear.

It was a number of years ago something tells me it was the plastic gears were stripping out in the center,used J.B. weld to bond it to the spindle or something. ???
Do remember after getting it working I ended up giving the reel away to the kid next door or one of the grand kids .

How about it Whirly any gearing issues with your Gear-flys ?
It's something to be on the lookout for if your purchasing these reels from folks you don't have a history with.

Someone sent me a PM asking about the details of the C.F.F.A. Expo.
I'll post a link on the appropriate forum this morning.

Tight Lines And Exceptional Fertilizer For Conversation Loops :)
Andy M

Post 22 Jan 2020, 15:16 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I've got several of those Gear Fly reels, going to have to look to see if gears are plastic.
Never had a problem with them, reelly fun reels.

Post 22 Jan 2020, 17:09 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Hey Keith
Whirly sent me this link yesterday after the pictures were restored.
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1366&p=52766&hilit=gearfly#p52766
Now that I'm looking at the guts of the reel I remember what the problem was,the screw that retains the gear for the Multiplyer gear was stripped and the gear had kept becoming disengaged.

Filled the screw hole with J.B. weld,then drilled and tapped a new thread,new screw,also had to drill the center of the gear.
That was on the Smaller 444 Reel I got for $10.00 with 2 extra spools with all 3 spools having like new Cortland 444 Lines on them."Fishy" Someones Reel ??

One of the things I like best aside from the reels balancing the longer glass rods so well,is the quickness in getting line back on the reel when I'm playing a fish with some shoulders.
Just wish the drag knob was more easily accessible so you could adjust the drag on the fly when playing a fish like you can with the Young's.

The line roller line guards tend to get bound up and you need to remember to clean and oil them or they get really jammed up.
I like my stuff to work they way the design engineers intended.

Tight Lines And On The Fly Loops
Andy M

Post 22 Jan 2020, 20:47 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Andy, the fast retrieve helps me get line back on the reel before the dogs get tangled in it. As soon as they think I have a fish on they are underfoot.

Post 26 Jan 2020, 09:53 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Whirl, I am good on rods but yes that 9' 5/6 could definitely shake ones resolve.

"Andy" and I went fishing the other day. No fish but a good adventure nevertheless with plenty of casting enjoyment to make up for it.

New Topic Add Reply