It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:13

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jan 2020, 14:36 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Went out today on the Red and did some euro nymph fishing and my new Chris Barklay 5 pc. 7’ 9’ GP worked great.Anyway after 20min. and 6 fish my fingers got numb and I quit for the day.The gloves I used have the finger tips exposed.What do you guys use that works.......thanks Aurelio

Post 11 Jan 2020, 15:37 • #2 
Piscator
Filson are my favorites, because the wool still keeps you warm if you get them wet, which synthetic fleece won't do.

For winter kayak fishing, I have Pelagic Battle, also exposed finger-tip gloves, which are neoprene with breathing strips, and keep you warm when they're wet. They're very good for handling fish, which you don't want to do with the wool gloves.
Of course these stay wet when you're paddling, but I've taken them off in the cold, and put them back on wet, and they still felt pretty good.
Pelagic End Game are full-finger.

I cycle in these inexpensive neoprene gloves, which work great for finger-tip feel.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Post 11 Jan 2020, 15:45 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Aurelio:

I hate wearing gloves, mostly because I hate having all of that bulk on my palm area which never gets cold.

I have the original wool "Millar Mitts" but as you said, your fingertips still get cold which is why I now use the Simms Headwaters Foldover Mitts which give you the option of leaving your thumb tip exposed or not, and exposing the tips of all or just a few of your fingers as necessary.

I like 'em and if they had a really thin neoprene palm, I'd love 'em.

On the rare occasions when I wear them, I leave just my index finger out of the finger tip flap and my thumb. If they get cold, I cover them up. I also use glove grabber things like my mother put on my mittens as a kid so I can pull them off with my teeth if I want to get rid of them completely and not worry about dropping them in the water.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 16:08 • #4 
Guide
I have the fox river wool fingerless, and the glomitt. If and looking out living room window right, lots of freezing rain and snow, so that is going to be a big if the water levels ever come down enough to fish im going to try hand warmers attached to my wrist for extra warmth.
Mike.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 16:44 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I forget the brand that I just got, but they're merino wool fingerless. I've used them once while musky fishing and they worked great, although it was only in the low 40s....but, my hands did get wet (a real killer) and stayed warm because of the wool (I'll be using them again tomorrow in colder temps, so I'll be able to report more later...cold, rainy--barely, and windy). I have yet to try it, but some friends swear by wearing nitrile gloves underneath to keep their hands dry. As Bulldog mentioned, fleece just doesn't cut it since when it gets wet, it's useless.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 16:47 • #6 
Guide
I use the same rag wool fingerless gloves that I suspect most of us have used or currently use.

However, I know that there’s a variant of these with fold-over mittens to keep one’s hands warm when dexeterity isn’t required.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 17:59 • #7 
Inactive
I like the fingerless wool gloves. But they're pointless if your digits get cold. Whatever you choose, latex gloves underneath also does wonders.

Edit: I think spell check does more harm than good.

Last edited by the abandoned brane on 11 Jan 2020, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 18:12 • #8 
Master Guide
I've been wearing nitrile exam gloves under my Simms mitts. Keeps my hands dry but still dextrous enough to tie on a fly.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 19:19 • #9 
Sport
I was using Filson fingerless wool gloves. The pair I had were too thin (for me) and didn’t offer much insulation and eventually started to unravel, YMMV but I don’t think my experience is unique, judging from some of the reviews.

I just picked up a pair of Barbour fingerless gloves (via Orvis) for Christmas. Haven’t tested them yet but they seem much better quality and thicker than the Filsons. Same price too, $35.

-Dwight

Post 11 Jan 2020, 19:22 • #10 
Guide
salvelinus wrote:
I've been wearing nitrile exam gloves under my Simms mitts. Keeps my hands dry but still dextrous enough to tie on a fly.

Yup, or use the thin latex food service gloves, just be sure you have no allergy to latex.

Additionally, put one of those had warmer packets under the glove on either inside of wrist or on back of hand

Post 11 Jan 2020, 23:12 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks,I will try the latex gloves underneath my glacier glove which give me the best feel,the rag wool seem a little slippery, the fold over mitts I had were the warmest but to bulky.......Aurelio

Post 12 Jan 2020, 08:41 • #12 
Master Guide
Military surplus wool glove liners. 75% wool, 25% nylon. Ten bucks or less. Lightweight and they stay warm when wet.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 09:06 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Aurelio
I think any mitt which folds back with fingerless gloves will work. I use these for waterfowl shooting too.

Les

Post 12 Jan 2020, 12:55 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Get nitrile/rubber whatever exam/work gloves, make sure and get them big enough that they are a loose fit, I have used em for decades, makes a huge difference, you can slip your fingerless gloves over top of em if you feel the need.

I get em for work at my local NAPA.

I'd be happy to send you handful if you would like to try some, PM you address

Post 12 Jan 2020, 13:27 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I've got the Simms fleece fingerless gloves/over mitt. They stay warm when wet and when my fingertips get cold, I can put the over mitt on until they warm up again.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 14:15 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Ive tried the wool gloves without fingertips and the fold back mitten styles and my fingers still get cold after an hour or two. Depends on temps. Also my toes! I thought about getting neoprene waders or booties.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 15:09 • #17 
Master Guide
Keeping your core body warm by using good long underwear, warm hat, layered clothing with windbreaker etc. will help a lot in keeping fingers warmer. Wool is GOLD for warm clothing, while cotton kills. Wool fingerless gloves are about the best thing to wear on the hands when dexterity is required.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 15:44 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
People love to recite that mantra "cotton kills". Cotton is as warm as wool. Ya just gotta keep it dry. And wool is warmer when you keep it dry.
So in this ap (fishing) it would make $$$$$ handwear.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 17:43 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
well, my merino fingerless gloves worked great. Buuuut, now I'm after something that is fingerless but has the mitten flip-over in wool. Air temp was 38, water temp was 44 and it was raining sideways periodically on my (short) musky outing today. I knew it would be brutal out there, but I had an itch that had to be scratched. Fish were active (saw multiple fish rolling) but they didn't care about my stuff (as far as I could tell, but visibility wasn't the best). Still made it home in time to watch some football.

Cheers!

Post 12 Jan 2020, 18:48 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I use these fingerless gloves with a thumb/mitten foldover.
I like the fleece because they don't really absorb water and they dry quickly. Just throw them in the washer when you get home.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 11:16 • #21 
Sport
A small towel tucked into the front of your waders to dry your wet hands.

I wear the folding wool mitt things but usually yank them off when needing dexterity or sticking my hands in the water.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 17:19 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
I use neoprene gloves with a slit cut at the base of the thumb, index and middle finger. If I need to tie a knot, I can stick my fingers out those slits. My fingers will get wet and end up looking like prunes, but they stay warm, which makes all the difference in the world when you're out breaking ice to float it off the sandbar so you can get a good location to cast from.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 18:07 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
working outdoors dark to dark for about 50 winters I've used a lot of "this is best" gloves and always end up with the ambidextrous brown jersey. Nothing is a better value in cold weather, buy 25 pairs at a time and carry an extra pair of dry ones and a shop towel. Keep the gloves dry as possible by taking them off before wetting your hands and drying your hands before putting the gloves back on. Exam gloves will be wet inside in about 90 seconds if you aren't even close to water- your body is water and these create a vapor barrier.
Wool does retain some heat when wet, polypropylene doesn't seem to get wet, but the brown jersey beats both overall. and if the temperatures are warm enough to allow wearing of wet wool, it's too warm for gloves anyway.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 14:31 • #24 
Guide
I suppose it depends on your tolerance. I've tried all sorts of gloves, the wool fingerless and fleece with flip fingers. Those never kept my hands warm enough.....granted my hands get cold easy. I recently purchased a pair of Dakine goretex ski gloves.....took the Barclay 72 to a local creek; caught some fish and my hands actually stayed warm. When I'd catch a fish, I'd just wade to the edge take the gloves off, release fish, dry hands and put back on. Dexterity is compromised somewhat, but to cast streamers or large dry flies, it's fine. I'll also use the heat packs in my jacket pockets.

Post 02 Feb 2020, 11:39 • #25 
Guide
Simms gloves with the tips that fold, fingerless wool gloves, neoprene gloves for cold water kayak fishing, gloves with the fold-over mitt....pretty sure I’ve used every most variations available. Wool is best. Barbless hooks are mandatory!

And I’ll fish through the winter as long as it’s above zero (an arbitrary guide that I’ll overlook occasionally).

The absolute key is extra gloves and warming up periodically. I use Hestra Pull Over Mitt. They are worth the price. Once cold, slide these mitts on and move your butt for a few minutes; hike to a new spot or just walk about.

Overall warmth is key to keeping your hand warm.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply