It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:26

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Bright-Butt Leaders?
Post 01 Jan 2020, 17:08 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Many years ago, Orvis made tapered leaders that were a flourescent orange until about the last 2 feet which were clear. These were easy to see as they entered the water and I am using the one I have had for many years with a tippet ring as I am focused on high-stick nymphing this winter. I have looked and cannot find any others like it any more...does anybody know where you can find one (I am not talking about the leaders with the 2 ft section of colored material which can easily be found).

Harry Murray makes one that is knotted, but I am looking for a tapered nylon leader that is colored for nearly the entire length of the leader. Thanks in advance.

Re: Bright-Butt Leaders?
Post 01 Jan 2020, 17:19 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I know you're not looking for knotted, but that is what I use. I use Berkeley Trilene in "Solar" color for my leaders. Usually I do the thick two sections in SOLAR and flip to ultragreen or clear after that.

If you are just nymphing, you could use Amnesia 15lb. It works well, but it's a bit limp. Fine for nymphing, but it won't present a dry fly well.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 17:32 • #3 
Guide
Paveglass
In case you’ve not seen them l wonder if making a curly Q would be an option for you?
George Daniel talks about them in Dynamic Nymphing.
Easy to make too.
Again not knotless but just a thought.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 20:52 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I use trilene big game for butt sections ,will have to look for Solar.My wife loves the bright yellow stren on her spinning rods and catches plenty of fish even tho it is contrary to every thing i believe.I can see where the better visibility in the top sections of the leader would be an advantage.Eyes aren't what they used to be.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 21:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I use furled leaders all the time. that I get from Streamside Leaders. Mike makes some in red or chartreuse in various lengths and weights. Just order the length you want and add tippet.

Larry

Post 01 Jan 2020, 22:34 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
You can dye the leader butt any color you want with Easter egg color or Kool-aid or Rit just like dyeing of fly line that we discussed a while back. White vinegar, hot water, dye and time is all you need.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 08:55 • #7 
Master Guide
Amnesia 15lb for the first section of my leader.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 09:39 • #8 
Piscator
I use tapered nylon for dries, but for nymphing and swinging wets, H&H (Beartooth) braided-butt leaders, and charge the braided butt with mucilin.
Normally it's all the strike indicator I need.
No offense, but can't imagine a preference for tapered leader over knotted for nymphing.

I even use a fly wallet to cut off my nymphing rig at the end of the day, loop it, and loop-to-loop it back to the leader on the next day.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 02 Jan 2020, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 09:56 • #9 
Master Guide
I use furled leaders for PA spring creeks on the dry and honestly I like them better than nylon.
If you run a 24-36” nylon tippet, they work great.

I use Cutthroat leaders and they do make a Furled nymph leader with a woven fluorescent orange indicator at the Butt. They work fine for dries again as long as the tippet is long enough.

I’ve never experienced spooking any more than any other leader.
If you are using terrestrials then no worries, as you want a harder drop anyway.

If you have to use nylon leaders, I have seen guys use fluorescent sharpies with some success. I believe it takes a couple of coats.

Good luck and tight lines.

Last edited by EinPA on 03 Jan 2020, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 13:17 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Florescence verses just color in a leader butt can be a great thing.

Last edited by Bamboozle on 03 Jan 2020, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 13:57 • #11 
Guide
George Anderson sells the knotted bright butt leaders as well if you decide to go that route. I use Murray's most of the time because he's in the same state but I'll use Anderson's at times as he has 12 ft versions.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 16:23 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
I use tapered nylon for dries, but for nymphing and swinging wets, H&H (Beartooth) braided-butt leaders, and charge the braided butt with mucilin.
Normally it's all the strike indicator I need.
No offense, but can't imagine a preference for tapered leader over knotted for nymphing.

I even use a fly wallet to cut off my nymphing rig at the end of the day, loop it, and loop-to-loop it back to the leader on the next day.

Ron,

I remember your suggestion for furled leaders, but why the preference for knotted leaders for nymphing...is it because you can tell the depth of the fly based on the knots you can see above the surface? I did just order a couple of those braided butt leaders you recommend. I am still learning this.

Will look at the other solutions suggested here also, thanks all. And, Bamboozle, I will have a go at what you suggest for my tenkara rod. There is little doubt that tenkara is one of the very best methods of high sticking and, in fact, produced my first success at this, but some of the trout in the stretch of river I am fishing can easily go 5 lbs and I fear for a very brief fight followed by a "ping" as either the tippet or tenkara rod fails halfway through the first significant run of one of those big fish. What the heck...go big or go home, as they say!

Donny

Last edited by paveglass on 02 Jan 2020, 16:50, edited 3 times in total.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 16:31 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
have you looked at https://www.orvis.com/p/tactical-nymph-leader/2YA5

Post 02 Jan 2020, 16:46 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, thanks Trev. Those only have about 12" of colored leader in the butt, not much advantage over just watching the end of my fly line. I am looking for about 6-7 ft of "easy to see" leader at the butt...whether it be furled, braided, or highly visible material. Visibility in the underwater section is not required.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 17:14 • #15 
Piscator
Donny, I don't like furled leaders except nylon mono furled leaders for skinny grass salt fishing with a floating line and a dropper fluoro tippet.
I'm talking about these H&H braided butt leaders
https://store.hookhack.com/Braided-Butt ... o/HHBFT94/

The reason is hardware - with nymphing, you're fishing multiple flies, adding split shot (a granny knot to hold the first one), maybe taking a needle and sliding an Otter's milking egg and bare hook before tying on dropper tippet.

The braided butt charged with mucilin floats, keeps your fly line tip from swamping, functions as a strike indicator, and perfectly drops your knotted leader segments like a hinge
(but doesn't cast like a hinge).
If the braided butt begins to swamp you can strip it through a chamois, and it's high and dry again.
You're going to be making knots, you may want to clip your complicated rig and loop it for next time.
You get miles from these leaders by knotting in new fluoro segments.
If you want to fish shallower and add a Thingamabobber strike indicator, it stays pinned on your segment knot.

the fish is on the bare hook from taking the otter's milking egg (which then slid up to the split shot)
bottom dead center of the photo is the size 22 thread midge dropper

took this on the size 22 midge about a quarter mile upriver (it's 27" and 8 lbs)

Post 02 Jan 2020, 17:30 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Great fish on such a tiny hook.Our trout and salmon really dont eat bugs so even the flies used around here are pretty big with bigger stronger hooks.Dont get the thingamabobber.A yarn indicator i can see but why an over engineered slip bobber.Gotta really mess up your casting.I would just clip a round bobber where i need it.But there is no such thing as flyfishing only here.Wish there was.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 17:48 • #17 
Piscator
The thingamabobber is easy to install only when you need, move around for depth, and remove when you don't want it - it works singularly well with a segmented leader.
I've fished everything you can mention in 40 years.
As far as bruisers on size 22 or smaller thread midges, like most tailwaters, 70% of the biomass is midges, though in faster water I prefer imitating swimming caddis and BWOs on the swing.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 03 Jan 2020, 06:51, edited 3 times in total.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 18:01 • #18 
Piscator
Donny, there's one other approach to a strike indicator.
Take a scrapped brightly-colored floating line, cut pieces, and use a needle to slide it up your tapered leader.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 19:38 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Never mind...

Last edited by Bamboozle on 03 Jan 2020, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 20:11 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
Donny, I don't like furled leaders except nylon mono furled leaders for skinny grass salt fishing with a floating line and a dropper fluoro tippet.
I'm talking about these H&H braided butt leaders
https://store.hookhack.com/Braided-Butt ... o/HHBFT94/
That is what I ordered today, thanks!

Nice fish, my best was a 22" trout on a size #22 on the San Juan.
bulldog1935 wrote:
Donny, there's one other approach to a strike indicator.
Take a scrapped brightly-colored floating line, cut pieces, and use a needle to slide it up your tapered leader.
I used to buy indicator like this from Harry Murray. It was solid core flyline with a monofilament core. You could cut around the outer coating of the line and pull it off the clear monofilament center then slip it onto your line using a tippet knot to hold it in place. I still have some of it but have not been able to find this anymore either. It will also sink with the leader and tippet. My favorite strike indicator...of course it is not made anymore. If anybody has an old fly line with a clear monofilament center, I'd love to get a few feet of running line.

Post 03 Jan 2020, 08:36 • #21 
Piscator
Donny,
before an outing, charge the braided butt with Mucilin. You simply glide the braided butt section across the open tin underneath your thumb, flip the leader and do it again.
Then rub in the mucilin with your thumb and finger. Take your chamois to the river.

Post 03 Jan 2020, 09:39 • #22 
Master Guide
I second what canoeman 1947 said, I use Streamside Leaders. I really like the NANO leaders.
http://www.streamsideleaders.com/
Gary

Post 03 Jan 2020, 10:22 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
kimosabe131 wrote:
Amnesia 15lb for the first section of my leader.

Thought that would be an idea too, but I heard that Amnesia is quite heavy so it sinks the tip section of the fly line?...

Post 03 Jan 2020, 10:36 • #24 
Master Guide
From experience, Amnesia floats well enough. If I truly want to "float" it for a pure upstream presentation I grease it with Loon Payette https://loonoutdoors.com/products/payette-paste paste.

Post 03 Jan 2020, 12:52 • #25 
Guide
Murray still sells the brightly colored fly-liner type indicators, I just bought several last week. Go to his site and search for Scientific Anglers indicators.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply