It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:01

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Dec 2019, 11:43 • #1 
Sport
I greatly enjoy my Fenwick FF806 and fish it quite frequently. I'm mostly a warm-water guy, so the versatility of the rod is what I value. I can get a decent bend on modest size sunfish, yet sling a pretty good size bass fly with it and have it manage the results quite well, wrestling in decent size largemouth bass is no problem. I also streamer fish with it and even toss small dries on occasion (warm water, SA GPX, cold water usually Cortland 444 WF, both in a 6 weight).

I wish it traveled better and at times on the river I wish it was just a bit longer! Is there a 3 or 4 piece glass rod out there that fishes like the FF806? Even better, is there such a rod that might even stretch to 8'6"? Being a graphite-to-glass convert, I wouldn't want anything "slower" than the Fenwick, but faster would be ok as long as it isn't a broomstick like so many of the graphite 6 weights already on the market.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Post 31 Dec 2019, 12:08 • #2 
Guide
While not modern(?), the Fenwick FF85-3 might fit your criteria...they come up occasionally in the Classifieds. Bud, a very generous Forum member, was kind to send 1 of his 2 FF853s to me. Best of Luck, Bob

Post 31 Dec 2019, 12:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The Fenglass rods are terrific rods for the price. The 6 wt would fit the bill except it is actually shorter at 7'9". The 7wt is 8'3" and has a lower swing weight than the 806, but would be a bit of a beast for "moderate sunfish". The Orvis 8'6" Superfine Glass might be perfect. It is definitely on the fast side of glass but nothing like a graphite rod. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64214&p=348857&hilit=bassin+orvis+superfine#p348857

Post 31 Dec 2019, 12:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Fenwick also made a FF806-4 (and an earlier FF80-4) and a search might show some useful comparisons to your rod.
Steffen 8’ and 8’6” rods in 5/6 should be out there in decent numbers and may still be in his offerings.

Post 31 Dec 2019, 13:24 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
FF 80-3 and FF80-4 are slower action. I am thinking Epic 580. Or a custom CTS with faster action (more butt) in 8' or 8'6". The 8'6" Orvis felt a bit heavy for an allrounder when I had it in my hands. Never had them in hand but the ********* rods enjoy a great reputation as well when i comes to faster/longer glass.

Post 31 Dec 2019, 14:12 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Upon further review, a rod which might be the one would be a Graywolf build Ben's S Glass 8" 5wt 4 piece. From my review:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I clamped them to the bench and did a basic flex test, hanging a weight off the tip. Also weighed them since the weight I used was a little digital hand scale. Once I got started, I trotted out all my 5-6 wt 8’ rods. It would be much better to do flex profile like Yellowstone does for their reviews, but while I’m a data guy, there is a limit to my geekiness, at least when the rivers aren’t frozen over. Interesting results, softest to stiffest:

Aventik 8’1” 5wt 4 piece 3.8 oz tip deflection 76.5 cm
FF 79 6wt 2 piece 3.3 oz. 75.5 cm
Orvis superfine 8’ 5wt 3 piece 3.2 oz 72 cm
FF 80-4 6wt 4 piece 3.5 oz. 71 cm
FF805 5 wt 2 piece 3.0 oz 70.5 cm
Graywolf Bens 5 wt 4 piece 3.2 oz 67 cm
FF 806 6wt 2 piece 3.5 oz 66 cm
Eagle Claw Featherlite 5/6 wt 2 piece 4.0 oz 58cm

The chart fits my fishing experience well. I don’t like casting heavy stuff with the Aventik or FF 79. I use a 7 wt line for the Eagle Claw. Looks like a 6 wt line would be good on the Graywolf.

I strung it up with an Orvis Hydros Superfine WF 6wt line and went back to the dock. It casts great, never a tailing loop from overloading, shoots a mile with an easy motion, loads up close in fast and accurately.

I like how similar flex tests compared to the FF 806. That rod is on every list as an all-round one rod choice. The Ben's is much lighter and a bit faster profile than the FF 806. So, the rod is packable, light, ought to be versatile, and did I say an immaculate Graywolf build? Got what I want for sure. Got to get some fish on it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67149&p=358457&hilit=bens+s+glass#p358095

Post 31 Dec 2019, 16:23 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
McFarland GTX 866 is great. It's more delicate than the FF806.
I would also throw in graphite like the Redington Classic Trout. Inexpensive, robust and very similar to the FF806. Its a bit clunky compared to higher end glass and graphite, but for the price, it's a really nice rod.

Post 31 Dec 2019, 21:33 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I had a FF806 and FF806-4. I couldn't tell a difference in action (some have a FF806-4, which they think is stiffer), so I sold the FF806, since the 4 piece traveled better.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 09:22 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
If you’re talking about sheer versatility, then I think it’s hard to beat the Epic 686. It’s got both power and delicacy, depending on what you line it with.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 10:48 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I don't think it possible to have a "modern" version of any " vintage" flyrod just because it would need all the materials used back whenever, that may not be produced any longer. It would almost need to be made on the same mandrels and use the sane hardware, even cutting in different place or using a different ferrule material changes the rods character. The question is similar to "what is the modern version of a roller skate key?" or "what is the modern version of a Studebaker carriage?"
However, in one sense a modern version of any Fenwick would be a Sage, Fenwicks were the popular mass produced fast action rods of their day and the modern version of that is likely Sage for popularity and stiffness, although a different MOC, I reckon that S glass as used today is also a different MOC and none of the Sglass rods have Sage or Fenwick popularity.
If one wants the characteristics of any special particular rod, the best option is to acquire that rod and forget about looking for an "almost like" version. Almost like is a way of saying "it is not the same". Fast is not the best aspect of fiberglass as a rod building MOC, for fast you go to other materials. "Almost like but completely different" is an often sought after description.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 12:36 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
The question is similar to "what is the modern version of a roller skate key?" or "what is the modern version of a Studebaker carriage?"
However, in one sense a modern version of any Fenwick would be a Sage,.....

If one wants the characteristics of any special particular rod, the best option is to acquire that rod and forget about looking for an "almost like" version. Almost like is a way of saying "it is not the same". Fast is not the best aspect of fiberglass as a rod building MOC, for fast you go to other materials. .

Good points Trev, but I don't feel that is quite what he is looking for. It seems, to me at least, the post asks for a rod which is not the just same his vintage rod, but rather a glass rod with a few modern tweaks.

A Sage graphite is a different universe in rod feel even if it occupies the old Fenwick niche. A Fenwick Fenglass however is just a modern tune-up, a bit lighter and a bit faster flex, with the same reassuring brown color. Still a glass rod for sure.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 12:40 • #12 
Master Guide
The FF806 - 4 is great I’ve had a number of these over the years and they never disappoint.
If you are willing to look at a 3 piece, I would Suggest the Steffen 5/6 8’6. I personally enjoy casting that one a tad more (it’s a bit faster, but also more accurate in my hands at least).

Post 07 Jan 2020, 13:30 • #13 
Sport
Sorry about the late reply, shortly after posting this I came down with flu-like symptoms and have been on my back for DAYS!

This analysis is absolutely fantastic - thanks for sharing. After reading all of the replies that everyone has offered, the Ben's/Graywolf combo is one that I'm going to check out!

It so happens that I just got to handle a CT in a 6 weight. While the swing weight was slightly noticeable but I really enjoyed how it cast -- the action was great and more along the lines of what I've come to appreciate in glass rods.

I believe what I enjoy most about the 806 is the moderate action I experience with the line/reel combination that I use. I've come to enjoy letting the fly rod do most of the work. The CT felt like that. I'll hang on to this as I continue to poke around.

Thanks for sharing!

Post 07 Jan 2020, 14:43 • #14 
Master Guide
If graphite is not out of the question, an 8'6" or even a 9' IM6 graphite rod will probably fit the bill for you. A tad faster than your Fenwick, but not the broomsticks like the Sage rods (and example) made today. Even in high end graphite, the designers hit "peak stiffness" and are going to more moderate actions now.

I have a pair of 1990's made IM6 graphites in 6 and 7 weights that are wonderful casters and very versatile. They are 2 piece tho, so travel won't be as easy as your 8 footers, but really, how small do you need? I used to drive a a compact 4 door sedan (Chevy Cruze) and I hauled around my 9' 2 piece rods (in cases usually) as well as rods upto 8' one piece. Where there's a will, there's a way. I traded that Chevy in for a Toyota minivan last winter, I can carry a 12' one piece rod, if I had to. Unless you're driving a Smart car, 2 piece rods really aren't that much handier than 3 or 4 piece rods. If we're talking air travel, then yeah, 4+ piece is the way to go to fit carry-on standards.

New Topic Add Reply