It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:43

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Nov 2019, 10:00 • #1 
Guide
My local shop has a bunch of double taper lines on sale; considering picking some up.
I'm thinking of cutting the line in half and winding on; just store the other half. Anybody regret doing this? For small streams I don't think I ever cast past 30ft; so I don't really need the whole line on there.

Just curious what others do. thx

Post 11 Nov 2019, 10:11 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I wouldn't. You can always turn it around and use the other end some day, and a short line won't fill you reel spool.

Store the other half on the reel.

I had one of those Cortland short lines, 30 meters? maybe there were times I was shooting my backing with a 3wt.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 10:39 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Only cut the line if you have a very small reel to fill and are restricted to fishing close in. Otherwise it might not be advantageous.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 10:47 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'm with magicwrench & giogio for the same reasons and others:

I use Micron as backing. To be honest, with the price of Micron, 3/4 to a half a reel spool of the stuff is almost as expensive as half a discounted fly line.

Have you ever stepped on a fly line and damaged it badly or cut it completely in half because you have sharp new screw in studs on your wading shoes? Well I have unfortunately and it happens most often, where exposed rocks abound which also happens to be most of the small streams I fish. On one occasion, turning around a DT saved the day.

I fish a few tiny creeks that have revealed surprises like a really long, deep run that had to be fished standing in it belly deep and throwing casts up to 70 feet to get to some far off risers. I also discovered small reservoirs on quite a few others that required similar casts if you wanted to try for those fish.

In regards to reels, I own more than a few small reels from 2.5" to 2.75" and there isn't one that won't hold a DT3. If you need a 4 or 5wt line on a reel that small you are still better off with a WF4 or WF5 versus cutting.

Nope, I want to have a full-length line on every reel that will work anywhere versus a half of line that will work in many places, but not all.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 12:32 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
What he/they said^^^!!
You can buy those on special though and store the ones you don't need right now. I recently installed a 444 peach DT that I bought at least twenty years ago on a closeout.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 12:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have 1/2 of a double taper on several reels, none heavier than a 3wt. Never had an issue and not having the line filling the spool is just aesthetics in my opinion.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 13:52 • #7 
Piscator
no reason not to if the lines are inexpensive enough.
For an alternative, the 10-m lines BPS sells (on and off?) are made by Cortland and fish very well.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 15:47 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I didn't like the one cut years ago, maybe just me but I found I was using more line than I'd thought and my Albright knot wasn't as slender as I'd thought. Made lanyards out of most of it.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 16:22 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I bought some reels from China some time back and, to my surprise, they were teeny-tiny. Instead of pitching them I cut a DT line in half and (after taking even more of the running line off) I was able to load about 30 ft of line on each one. These will be grandchildren training reels when they get to the right age to fish some small streams. It was not an expensive line.

I have no cut lines on my reels.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 18:22 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I cut a S/A Air Cel line in half because a Hardy fly weight wouldn't hold the whole line and I had just bought both in Pennsylvania.The only problem was that I had to cast some distance to reach the fish and ended up into the backing.If I didn't have to cut it I wouldn't do it.I caught an absolutely beautiful 15 inch brown on the East Branch of the Clarion river at Johnsonburg PA. on that line and reel the first time they were used.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 19:35 • #11 
Sport
Recently I received a vintage reel with 42 feet of the front end of a heavy line. Probably it's a 6wt to 8wt WF front section. The line casts very nice with my 3wt graphite rod. Didn't like that in 2 false casts I was into the backing.

I just welded 42 feet of running line to the back and now I have an 84 feet continuous line with a shooting head. I can cast that thing 75 feet easy on minimal false casts. I can even do short roll casts.

I fish lakes for peacock bass and inshore for jacks, baby tarpon and baby snooks. My targets are not shy about presentation at all.

Post 11 Nov 2019, 22:30 • #12 
Guide
I've cut down several DT lines over the years. All of them have worked well. You have the option of adding Amnesia or another running line or dacron only. I've also cut down a cheap 8wt WF to make a short shooting head for a 6 wt rod. It worked great on the Green River. I think I cut the 8 down to 24' or 26' based on a Dave Whitlock article from years ago. Now I use an accurate gram scale and convert to grains.

Post 12 Nov 2019, 07:32 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
A fly reel is best filled to capacity so the rate of retrieve is at its best for the diameter of that reel. A 45' line, about half of most DTs, can be ideal. In some cases, it would be desirable by allowing more room for backing. For other fishing where you are certain you will never get into the backing, makes no difference except rate of retrieve. The line will work fine cut in half, or any odd length you want, for that matter, as long as you give yourself enough for the maximum cast you will want to make with the rig. Otherwise, if the full length line is put on a reel, one end is nicely saved for later use when turned around. A DT line fills a reel well, reducing the amount of backing needed. So it depends on the reel used and the intended fishing.

Post 12 Nov 2019, 07:41 • #14 
Piscator
where I use the 10m DT BPS line is on my Lami 605 on a 2-1/2" prewar Young.
Same rod, different reel and line, and the same place I would fish it - no worries about snook here.

If you want a good snook line, I bought a Cortland Salt Guide last year for my CGR7/8 - it's kind of like a triangle taper in reverse, and leaves the guides in a hurry.

Post 12 Nov 2019, 08:16 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Martin reel with 1/2 of a 6dt on it.Igot it this way.I use for test casting new to me rods.The. backing is attached in a very neat knot and goes thru the guides with no problem if I get that far.My new house is a corner lot with about 80 ' of frontage on one side with trees and bushes .Gives me some interesting casting lanes.I miss my 7acre yard but I make due.

Post 12 Nov 2019, 08:44 • #16 
Inactive
Rio Seco wrote:
I've cut down several DT lines over the years. All of them have worked well. You have the option of adding Amnesia or another running line or dacron only. I've also cut down a cheap 8wt WF to make a short shooting head for a 6 wt rod. It worked great on the Green River. I think I cut the 8 down to 24' or 26' based on a Dave Whitlock article from years ago. Now I use an accurate gram scale and convert to grains.

^^^This ^^^ Me too except I used a 10wt line .

Post 13 Nov 2019, 09:37 • #17 
Master Guide
I cut several DT lines # 3 and 4.

Due to short range cast needed, I do prefer maintain my line in large coils leaving a good gap by the reel foot. Half a DT 3 line does well the job. It's tiny, so onto a #6 reel like Hardy Marquis or Hardy Prince 5/6 almost disappear.
This way to sum vantages of a line well stored and job of a light over sized reel. Modern large arbor reel, where perhaps machined keeping in mind vantages of a large diameter spool on fishing for good fish !

Post 13 Nov 2019, 14:33 • #18 
Guide
Bamboozle wrote:

I use Micron as backing. To be honest, with the price of Micron, 3/4 to a half a reel spool of the stuff is almost as expensive as half a discounted fly line.

Have you ever stepped on a fly line and damaged it badly or cut it completely in half because you have sharp new screw in studs on your wading shoes? Well I have unfortunately and it happens most often, where exposed rocks abound which also happens to be most of the small streams I fish. On one occasion, turning around a DT saved the day.

I fish a few tiny creeks that have revealed surprises like a really long, deep run that had to be fished standing in it belly deep and throwing casts up to 70 feet to get to some far off risers. I also discovered small reservoirs on quite a few others that required similar casts if you wanted to try for those fish.

In regards to reels, I own more than a few small reels from 2.5" to 2.75" and there isn't one that won't hold a DT3. If you need a 4 or 5wt line on a reel that small you are still better off with a WF4 or WF5 versus cutting.

Nope, I want to have a full-length line on every reel that will work anywhere versus a half of line that will work in many places, but not all.

+1 I have paid more for backing on a reel as compared to the fly line purchased. I have found that cheap DT lines do just fine, for a long time, which saves a lot of money. Just keep clean.

Your reel and day on the water will thank you with the backing there. Memory in the line is no joke.

Post 17 Nov 2019, 17:34 • #19 
Guide
Bamboozle wrote:

Whether one cuts a double-taper line is totally up to the owner of the line. But when it comes to backing and which one to use, that’s another story.

I have used Micron, but what is it? Hollow braided Dacron, right? It seems the advantages are that it is traditional, and it has a high strength to small diameter ratio, while stretching very little. But if Spectra multi-braid lines have the same qualities, and often at a much lower price, wouldn’t they be good candidates as a substitute backing?

Post 17 Nov 2019, 17:39 • #20 
Piscator
spectra braids are tiny - I like ice-fishing lines for backing because they're sealed braids (Woodstock, Gudebrod).
If you want a sealed spectra braid for backing, look at Yo-Zuri Super Braid, which is not the thinnest braid, but is coated.

Post 17 Nov 2019, 18:43 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Backing that is too small in diameter won't spool as well--tighter coils digging down into looser ones--unless more attention is given to spooling it evenly, so next thing your fingers are bleeding. Low stretch dacron about 20 # test is still the way to go. It doesn't have to be labeled fly-line backing. Early winter, lots of good ice fishing line is on sale. If nylon is used--much stretchier--this needs to be compensated for by using at least 30 # test, which will stretch less than 20# for a given amount of tension. That may be fine on some reels that would take 100 yards of dacron 20# if 50 or 60 yards is all that's needed. Just realize, "enough" backing and breaking strength for anticipated fish isn't the only purpose of the choice. It is to enable the spool to be filled, and for handling when a fish runs into the backing. I find even the common 18# IFGA greenspot braided dacron--another good inexpensive choice--too fine diameter for my liking and use it only to get a few more yards on a relatively small reel, say a Pflueger 1494 with a DT5 line on it.

Post 17 Nov 2019, 19:24 • #22 
Piscator
I would assume he's talking about smaller reels if he's cutting a DT in two.
I had shop-loaded "gel-spun" (spectra) backing on my 2-1/2" JAF Sandstone - I never saw it again, but it worked great for being there if I needed it.
I fish 15-lb Yo-Zuri braid, and it doesn't cut

Post 18 Nov 2019, 01:09 • #23 
Sport
I have used spectra fishing lines as fly backing for years. In some ways better than dacron, in some ways probably worse but overall works great and I don't think there is a more affordable option. I use roughly 60-80lb test, always the off-brand import stuff, and I buy it in half kilometer spools. Don't let other folks discourage you, just try it and see what you think -- not a lot risked if you hate it.

Post 02 Dec 2019, 10:15 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Hook & Hackle Classic fly lines are on sale now (early Dec 2019).
Why bother if you can get a DT (or WF) for just $25?
These are great lines (made by Cortland).
https://store.hookhack.com/Hook-Hackle- ... ments/713/

Post 21 Dec 2019, 16:17 • #25 
Sport
A note on my experience cutting a line in half. Almost 50 years ago I cut a wonderful Gladding double taper in half in order to fit it on the small 1492 Medalist. I only used this reel on an Orvis Midge rod (a 7&1/2 ft cane rod with the backbone of a noodle) fishing for large bluegills. They bent that rod right down into the handle. I put a "no-knot eyelet" in the base of the line and attached it to the reel with 20 ft of dacron.
While fishing from shore in crystal clear waters I saw a Largemouth of about 4 lbs+ cruise through the bluegill bed in front of me. I quickly bit off the wet fly I was using and tied on a black marabou streamer. I flipped it in front of the bass and watched him immediately inhale it. I set the hook with care and watched him try to eject the fly which I could plainly see was hooked on the end of his tongue. He slowly cruised away seemingly unaware that he was attached to me. As I tightened up on him he got the picture and turned on the afterburners. I watched my shortened line disappear from the reel in a matter of seconds along with the backing. The 3lb test tippet broke without slowing him down. For the next 10 minutes, I watched him jump far out from shore still trying to get rid of the fly on his tongue. After that day I never used the 1492 again and have stuck with 1494's and a full-length fly line -- live and learn

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply