It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:16

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Dec 2019, 08:57 • #76 
Sport
I have not tried the short (7'-10') add-on sinking leaders for floating fly lines, but they may come in handy for some of the streams I like to fish with nymphs. My question is what length tippet to use? I am presuming fairly short since it is the leader that is dragging the tippet down to the desired depth. But, I also have to consider not spooking the fish with the leader. Most of these sinking leader products appear to be black in color which I would think would be quite visible in the water. Most of my fishing would be done in streams no wider than 25 feet and 4'-5' deep in the holes.

Thanks,
Warren

Post 02 Dec 2019, 09:22 • #77 
Piscator
My Alaska gear includes a length of loop-on deep water express for the rare (for me) excursion to snagging sockeye.
Deep nymphing is the one place sink tips work.
I'd say like a Teeny leader, shorter is better, because a long leader defeats the ability to get the fly down fast.
2' tippet makes sense.

Post 02 Dec 2019, 10:41 • #78 
Glass Fanatic
I have played around with various sinking leaders in the past, tis fun to play with stuff, but haven't used one now in years.
I would use short tippets, 2' would be the max.

A black leader underwater is not going to spook fish. There is all sorts of stuff floating by down there.

Post 02 Dec 2019, 15:50 • #79 
Sport
Thanks for the input on tippet length. By the same logic, should the sinking leader also be pretty short? Most sinking leader products appear to be either 7 or 10 feet in length. Perhaps cutting them back to 4 feet would be more effective for nymphing on a small stream with maximum water depths above 4-5 feet.

Warren

Post 02 Dec 2019, 18:41 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
The sinking leaders I have tried are Air Flo and Rio, both are short, a Rio one I have right here is 5ft.

I dislike long leaders. I also dislike sink tips.

Post 08 Dec 2019, 22:17 • #81 
Master Guide
Trev wrote:
So what would happen if you cut a 24' head (T-130) back to get the desired weight for the ultra light rods served by the BS100?

Yep. I’ve done that several times.
Works very well.

Post 25 Dec 2019, 21:36 • #82 
Piscator
something worth showing - I've shown this before, a Zap splice, and mentioned it won't hold in saltwater.

For the salt, I use a needle nail knot, and sacrifice a fluorocarbon trout leader, because the tip is easy to put in the needle eye, and the butt is easy to knot,
and finish with a short perfection loop for loop-to-loop
I coated the joint with Zap CA.
Of course I'll move the T200 to a different reel in the salt.

Post 27 Dec 2019, 23:30 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
A sewing machine needle works pretty well for the zap splice and needle knot. You can use a razor blade to shave the end of thick mono to fit in the needle, so you don’t have to sacrifice a tapered leader. For a 4 ft leader, I use 2 ft of 3x and 1ft each of 1x and .013”. This turns over nicely with any streamers I have fished.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply