It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:29

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Sep 2019, 23:20 • #1 
Sport
Does anyone have insight on the Moonshine glass? Not a bad price... $230 and not a bad look. Question is how does she fish?! Thank you!

Post 13 Sep 2019, 09:24 • #2 
Master Guide
I have never cast or fished a Moonshine rod but my experience with the cheaper glass rods made over seas has shown me that it’s better to save your money and buy a rod from makers like *********, Barclay, Orvis, Epic, Scott, Steffen etc.

The import rods always disappoint me. They may cast ok but the cork they use and the finish work on their final product is usually pretty poor. Like poor fitting ferrules and low quality components. I know to many people this stuff is not an issue but in many cases for a few hundred more dollars one can get a far superior rod that will last a life time. If your willing to buy a used, some times the price difference between a new import rod and a used rod from the above makers is not that much.

Post 13 Sep 2019, 09:30 • #3 
Sport
Thanks for your reply! I am not adverse to spending a bit more money. Being in Ohio, there aren't many fly shops to visit, mostly the big O. Nothing against Orvis and I would be open to Superfine...but maybe the best play is to post a WTB in this forum for Epic, Barclay, *********. I really like the look of *********.

Post 13 Sep 2019, 09:33 • #4 
Master Guide
Little kern golden wrote:
I have never cast or fished a Moonshine rod but my experience with the cheaper glass rods made over seas has shown me that it’s better to save your money and buy a rod from makers like *********, Barclay, Orvis, Epic, Scott, Steffen etc.

The import rods always disappoint me. They may cast ok but the cork they use and the finish work on their final product is usually pretty poor. Like poor fitting ferrules and low quality components. I know to many people this stuff is not an issue but in many cases for a few hundred more dollars one can get a far superior rod that will last a life time. If your willing to buy a used, some times the price difference between a new import rod and a used rod from the above makers is not that much.

I totally agree with the above comment. If you are going to buy a rod to try out fly fishing, I get it, and then I'd say its hard to beat a Cabela's CGR or a used 2 piece vintage Fenwick. I would also check the Rods for sale section here as there are always some great used deals to be found.

Post 13 Sep 2019, 10:03 • #5 
Sport
Not new to fly fishing. Just glass. Have a large quiver of premium graphite. Price range is 250-450. Do want to buy just entry level.

Post 13 Sep 2019, 10:19 • #6 
Master Guide
There is a Fenwick FF805 for sale in the classifieds that is in very nice condition. This model is a fine rod and would be great for bass, trout and panfish. The one import rod that is a very good is from Blue Halo. Their blanks are made in China but they assemble their rods in the US and do good work and use quality components. I personally fish rods from *********, Orvis and Epic and really enjoy them. The best deal in a high end American made glass rod is Orvis SFGs. You get allot for $400

Post 13 Sep 2019, 10:37 • #7 
Sport
Little kern golden wrote:

I totally agree with the above comment. If you are going to buy a rod to try out fly fishing, I get it, and then I'd say its hard to beat a Cabela's CGR or a used 2 piece vintage Fenwick. I would also check the Rods for sale section here as there are always some great used deals to be found.

About a year ago, I was looking at the Moonshine Revival as well. Here is my long story, hope you find it helpful.

The CGR's are probably the best value in fly rods. I have the 5'9" 3wt and love it, and have heard many good things about all of the rods in this series. I also have a Moonshine Drifter (graphite) 7'6" 3wt that I picked up used, but with the plastic still on the handle for about the same price as a CGR. I like both rods, but find myself going to the CGR more often than the Moonshine. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, and I think moonshine makes a good product, but for the same price you could get an entire CGR setup (rod, reel & line) and be just as happy. Also, I have noticed that the CGR's go on sale around Christmas and can be had for a very reasonable price.

If you want a really nice rod, find a used one here. I've been fortunate to pick up Steffen and McFarland rods on here for less than the price of the Moonshine Revival. I'm sure the Revival is a nice rod (I looked at getting one for a while, but never found any reviews on it), but I honestly can say that I delighted with the way my Steffen and McFarland cast and fish. That's not to say I wouldn't have been happy with the Revival, but there is a reason these rod builders are as highly regarded as they are.

Lastly, vintage Fenwicks are also amazing. They are a lot of fun and a great way to get into glass. I found quite a few on the big auction site and on FB marketplace for the price of a tank of gas. They were not mint or unfished, but in good condition and very fishable and fun.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and good luck in your search.

Post 13 Sep 2019, 20:20 • #8 
I have a 3wt Revival, and for the money it is a decent rod that casts well. It's no Kabuto, Orvis glass, etc, but I enjoy fishing it from time to time. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Last edited by peyton on 13 Sep 2019, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Sep 2019, 20:56 • #9 
Sport
Thanks for all the help everyone! Holding out for a used ********* or something of the like. James Green also a possibility.

Post 13 Sep 2019, 23:53 • #10 
Guide
The new Fenglass rods are a good rod for the money. I have a friend who fishes bamboo and he recently got a 3 wt Fenglass which he absolutely loves. I recently got a chance to cast his new rod and I liked it.

Post 17 Sep 2019, 23:28 • #11 
Guide
Preast has a new, custom build ********* 4-wt for sale for $350. It may still be in the for sale section, or you can PM him. I have several of his builds and he does excellent work.

Post 18 Sep 2019, 09:50 • #12 
Master Guide
Every time I see their ads on social media I make it a point to ask where the blanks are manufactured. This isn't because I dismiss offshore manufactured components out of hand, but rather because it seems to have become an interesting practice either not to disclose this information outright or to make it downright difficult to locate in some remote corner of a website especially when these are primarily US companies selling products for which all or most components are coming from China or S Korea. In the case of Moonshine, it's pretty obvious based on pricing but other companies have adopted a similar tactic of apparently intentional non-disclosure when it comes to origin of manufacture, especially for products for which the cost approaches or sometimes exceeds that of domestically manufactured comparable items.

Notably, never ONCE have I received a reply, public or private, in response to my query of where the blanks are manufactured, from Moonshine.

But of course this is coming from someone who builds $650+ custom rods on US-rolled blanks with US-made components (not $500 rods as some have alluded to previously, just want to be clear).

Post 18 Sep 2019, 10:31 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
And I thought I was the only one. A while back I sent them an email asking about what kind of glass the revival was made of. Crickets.

Post 18 Sep 2019, 14:42 • #14 
Master Guide
Odonata wrote:
And I thought I was the only one. A while back I sent them an email asking about what kind of glass the revival was made of. Crickets.

"well it's made of fiberglass," said their chief of marketing :lol :lol :lol

Post 18 Sep 2019, 20:52 • #15 
Yeah, I wasn't happy about that part, but as my first fiberglass rod, I found it more enjoyable to fish than any of my medium fast small stream graphite rods (except the Douglas Upstream 3wt, but it was a close contest with that rod). The 3 wt Revival will end up being my truck rod or something friends use to fish, but for what it is, it was more enjoyable to cast than a butterstick, etc.

Post 19 Sep 2019, 08:44 • #16 
Master Guide
peyton wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't happy about that part, but as my first fiberglass rod, I found it more enjoyable to fish than any of my medium fast small stream graphite rods (except the Douglas Upstream 3wt, but it was a close contest with that rod). The 3 wt Revival will end up being my truck rod or something friends use to fish, but for what it is, it was more enjoyable to cast than a butterstick, etc.

Good to know.

Re: No Reply at All
Post 20 Sep 2019, 06:53 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Notably, never ONCE have I received a reply, public or private . . .

Good to know.

Post 20 Sep 2019, 08:01 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
The only import I fish regularly is a 3wt Cabelas prime.6' 1 piece . I have a couple of the Chinese glass I bought years ago and they cast well but seem to separate too often.I hate constantly checking the ferruled fit.I have never had an American made glass ferruled come loose while fishing and I have several from several makers. The only china made rod that is reliable is the eagle claw .I have owned 4 but I keep giving them away to new fly fishers.Anyone can learn to cast on those things.I can't believe they are less than 30 bucks.Unfortunately I think we are a dying breed and 200 dollar "cheap" rods plus line and reel are not gonna attract too many new people.And graphite advertised as mid priced at 400 plus?

Post 20 Sep 2019, 09:20 • #19 
Master Guide
I think it's great that there are affordable options for getting more people interested in the sport. Ultimately the more people that connect with the environment, the more people out there that have a vested interest in protecting it.

That said, we also need to support the craftspeople who have to constantly fight against, the race to the bottom on pricing. Companies like Moonshine are effectively wrapping a neat bow on cheap often abused overseas labor and taking pricing power away from legitimate craftsmen who are passionate about what they do and trying to make a living in a developed nation.

If you can afford to pay for a decent craft made rod, you should do it. For those who can afford it but complain about prices, buy a blank and build your own, then come back and talk about the inflated cost of labor.

Post 20 Sep 2019, 14:17 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I wholeheartedly agree.I have wanted a Barclay ,not ruling out any others,hand made rod and i feel he can make me just what i want.Rods made by people who are not just in for the money but are true artisans and almost have to do what they do.My problem is i cant stop buying every vintage rod i run across and there are lots in my area.Just had a guy ask me if i wanted a vintage St Croix he found at a yard sale.5 bucks.I dont need it or even really want it but it,s a pint of Guinness.I have a locally made bamboo rod that is awesome and a flea market guy who actually fly fishes finally sold me after 2 years.It is beautiful and casts nice even tho not what i am used to.I guess i am afraid i might break it.I just dont want to spend 5or 600 on a rod i am afraid to use.Maybe i need counseling.

Post 20 Sep 2019, 18:39 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Really nothing to say about Moonshine other than I'll never own one. If I want a less expensive made overseas rod, I'll go with an Echo where I know the company will be around to back their products.

The funny thing is, that for the $5-600 you pay for a high end glass rod, that'll still only get you a mid-level graphite stick. Well worth it, imo...plus, just by perusing the classifieds here, you can often find them used. Hell, the well-used (but still in great shape with loads of mojo) Seele I picked up from a member is an absolute bomber of a rod and cost me a fraction of what it would for brand new (I suppose a "fraction" could mean pretty much any amount).

Cheers!

Post 21 Sep 2019, 12:15 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Some great craftsmanship out there on new rods for sure; but there are so many "Grandpa died and we found this unused fly rod in a closet" deals out there that I can't see paying more than $40-50 for any unknown product.

Post 21 Sep 2019, 15:28 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
I have paid more than 150 for a couple vintage rods trev.But i bought them from people i knew and had plenty of time to think about it.I have more than my share of less than 20 dollar rods from flea markets garage and estate sales etcSome i almost feel bad for the sellers.I keep saying no more until i sell at least 20 or so off and some reels which i dont find as often.I have a hand made cane rod and a custom rod is just so different.I haggled with a guy for 3 years and he finally sold it too me.Me promising to fish it and not flip it.I am going to get a rod made to order for me.Just the way i want it cosmetically and what i want it to do.Getting to that point where i go to more wakes than i care to.Fishing has been the one constant in my life and i still get as excited now as when my dad took me as little kid.

Post 21 Sep 2019, 23:42 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Ahh, well the vintage stuff is hardly unknown, that was my point. I'd pay $500 for the right vintage piece long before I'd pay $60 for some brand new unknown, untraceable, who-done-it, maybe Asian item; is what I meant. There are some craftsmen that post on here whose work is probably worth more than they charge.
Not many old fly rods in this area so I don't have the problem you do with too many yard sale deals. I've seen maybe three fair to good rods for sale locally in the last 15 years, I guess.

Post 24 Sep 2019, 00:49 • #25 
Master Guide
Had it. Sold it. Good rod but lacks soul. They can do better. Feels like a tighter Cortland 619. CGR 4 weight is more fun on the same water.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply