It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:33

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Dec 2019, 17:33 • #76 
Piscator
lkaa wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:
the tip collapses because he pushes the rod too hard, it doesn't matter how far you arc it - might even make it worse because of trying even harder to get there.

Whatever is going to make him feel the rod load rather than trying to force the rod to load is going to solve this, and learning how to load it smoothly with short arcs and haul is going to let him feel the rod load in both hands. .
Too many cooks in this kitchen.

My casting stroke was refined by years of fishing Teeny lines (first on Orvis Fullflex A), but the same feel I'm looking for in my line hand applies to all rods and all lines. Slow down the rod hand, keep it smooth and short, and look for the feel of loading the rod in the line hand.
It works well enough I can take a CGR with a foot of front taper out the tip, be through the belly on the 2nd stroke, and shoot twice the belly on the 3rd.

I honestly can't remember the last time I tied a wind knot with any rod.
Can you describe how you arrange the timing/power/length of the haul when casting a soft rod using a short arc? With fast rods I haul right at the end of the power stroke, but this seems to reach a point of diminishing returns with soft rods as the distance increases. It just feels like the rod shocks but without a corresponding increase in line speed.

start by trying to cast short and slow, and let the rod surprise you with what it delivers - you should be able to feel glass load this way.

Once you have that, work on shorter arm movements and more more haul to load the rod.
I have to think about it, because my haul is so second nature...
...ok, I'm back - was planning to try a T200 on the Harnell 645, anyway, because the longer belly of the TS250 was a bit much to feel on the 7-1/2' rod.
My haul is there every time the rod changes direction - line hand is moving away, and is coming back toward the rod at the end of the stroke unless I'm shooting - so I apply haul at the beginning of the power stroke - both arms are accelerating line at the same time.

Don't take this the wrong way, but jerk is the 2nd time derivative of velocity - acceleration is the 1st - there's no reason acceleration can't be smooth, and that's the word -
- the less hurry you're in, the more the rod works, and the farther it will cast.
If jerk is involved, one is trying to throw the line rather than let the rod load and cast it.

Post 27 Dec 2019, 19:10 • #77 
Master Guide
easternffer wrote:
Epic 580 looks like perfect rod, but I have problems to make consistent error-free casts with it.

Hoping I don't sound like a wise guy but ...... I'd get (or just use) a different rod. Seriously.

Post 27 Dec 2019, 22:49 • #78 
Administrator
Just so everyone knows, the OP is figuring out the catching fish component of our sport rather well. He mentions in that post that his casting is improving too.

Tom

Post 28 Dec 2019, 10:33 • #79 
Sport
Thanks for the replies, I will work on this. I think my casting stroke by itself isn't half bad and smoothly loading the rod is not an issue. I just have never felt like hauling does as much for me on glass as it does on my faster rods so assuming this is not the case for everybody there is some kind of technique problem involved.

To clarify I am not the OP, I just came across some nuggets of wisdom in this older thread and wanted edification.

Post 28 Dec 2019, 11:26 • #80 
Piscator
You're always hauling just by holding your working line, because you're moving the rod away from your line hand.
Hauling is just adding a natural motion to increase that distance, and thereby add a little bit of line speed with your line arm.
Going the other way, your reduce or modulate the power you're putting through your rod arm, and gives you a finesse on your cast distance. (you can do something similar by dropping your rod arm a bit).
Both hands are always involved in this process, so learn to use both to your advantage. The big advantage of glass is you get to learn it slowly.

Likewise, Tom, was just answering his specific question. It's less than a threadjack, since we're discussing smooth power application with a rod that rewards the smoothness.

Post 28 Dec 2019, 12:33 • #81 
Master Guide
Hello, go on U Tube and watch the old Fenwick fly casting video featuring Jim Green. I watched it several times applied his techniques and my casting improved 10 fold

Post 28 Dec 2019, 14:49 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
What's fundamentally wrong with your casting stroke is getting ahead of the rod.
My buddy Mick is one of the most generous-hearted Type A individuals I know, and it all comes out in his cast.
But he eased into cane, so I promise you it's possible to let the rod do the work.

This is excellent advice. My fishing distance casts turn over just right, but if I try to push the rod too hard or too far, I’ll get tailing loops. Slow down and enjoy that nice rod.

If you realize that you are about to throw a tailing loop move your rod hand to the left (right handed caster) as the rod unloads on the forward cast. That will (at least) prevent the line collision that you will have to untangle.

Key point made by most here are the basics...”Use the force Luke...feel the cast.”

PS: I can’t cast the entire line with any rod/line that I own..I have said before that I use my exceptional wading skill to avoid the need for my exceptional casting skill.

Post 29 Dec 2019, 02:51 • #83 
Guide
Little kern golden wrote:
Hello, go on U Tube and watch the old Fenwick fly casting video featuring Jim Green. I watched it several times applied his techniques and my casting improved 10 fold

Love that video, and yeah don't shock the rod!

I can only describe that for me, fishing the right size and length glass rod for the river I`m on and the size flies I`m casting, its effortless, its different than faster rods and different materials where I have to work a bit more.

I can only add that if I`m fishing a glass rod that is too short, small and slow for a larger river, its work, it just means I`m using the wrong tool for the job.

Without getting technical and there are already good solid posts on this thread for that, that's how it Is for me. I need to slow down, let the rod do the work, and just look where I want the fly to land and it happens when the mechanics are right and I`m making the right movements. its very zen, and its nice when I fool one of those wily old wild driftless browns that take my dry fly and spin the clicker and put a good bend in that rod.

Post 29 Dec 2019, 04:18 • #84 
Sport
easrterner OP,is your casting any better with carbon?cause im finding this a mute point my casting sucks,i think if this the case joining a flyfishing club or contact a guide,maybe Hank Patterson LOL,otherwise you will get confused here,too many cooks,relax and enjoy your fishing,
crooksy

Post 29 Dec 2019, 05:14 • #85 
Glass Fanatic
When you say hauling doesn't do as much for you with glass, what exactly do you mean? Are you talking distance or control?

Some of the vintage glass rods have a low number of guides and/or more friction so you need a very slick line to haul effectively.

Also the line choice will have an effect on how hauling affects the cast. I suggest going to a lighter line at first. Basically you are limited in how hard you can haul if the rod is already heavily loaded by a heavy line. Most glass rods are more heavily loaded than graphite rods at their designated line weights (by the Common Cents measure).

Post 29 Dec 2019, 13:39 • #86 
Glass Fanatic
The only rod i can throw to the backing is a G/C 8'6 8/9 bass bug rod.It will shoot the entire bass bug line with a big bass popper.But i need a lot of room which is not often where i fish.A long high backcast and a big forward haul and it just sails.I have a similar carbon rod that womt do this as it wont push the bugs with the line nearly as well.Not pretty casting at all but when you drop a big weedlees bass bug in some pads on a hot summer evening 70 feet away it is a thing of beauty.

Post 29 Dec 2019, 15:48 • #87 
Sport
giogio wrote:
When you say hauling doesn't do as much for you with glass, what exactly do you mean? Are you talking distance or control?

Some of the vintage glass rods have a low number of guides and/or more friction so you need a very slick line to haul effectively.

Also the line choice will have an effect on how hauling affects the cast. I suggest going to a lighter line at first. Basically you are limited in how hard you can haul if the rod is already heavily loaded by a heavy line. Most glass rods are more heavily loaded than graphite rods at their designated line weights (by the Common Cents measure).
Distance. I use a double haul all the time I suspect, probably subconsciously, and even for short casts. It seems to tighten up my casts and lets me use less power from the rod hand, and I like the feedback. But when I really need to crank a cast out there, a strong haul really generates line speed on my graphite rods but not nearly so much on the fiberglass ones. It feels like the glass rods just absorb it and don't give as much back.

These are great points. My glass rods are vintage (both Fenwicks: a FF85 7-8-9 H-serial and an FF837) and the guides are small, worn and there are fewer of them than my graphite rods, which are all modern. I've been using the FF837 mostly, and mostly with modern 8wt lines, which means I'm probably casting what amounts to an AFTMA 9wt a lot of the time...no doubt the rod is overloaded. At usual fishing distances, it doesn't seem to suffer much from this but trying to carry 60' of that already overweight line is probably folly.

Post 30 Dec 2019, 03:56 • #88 
Glass Fanatic
Ikaa - I am also always casting with both hands, even at very short distances. Hauling will always produce a given amount of line speed with less casting arc than no haul and this allows for a more compact and stealthy casting motion. It also eliminates slack and increases control.

Getting back to distance, I have a Fenwick 867 and I remember casting a SA 6WT extra distance long belly line and finding it a nice combination well suited to longer casts and fairly aggressive hauling. However ultimately it might be possible to cast further with a 7WT or even an 8WT while taking care not to overpower the rod - I never tried to test the comparison. Glass has "speed limits" and the optimal line speed/mass tradeoff is different to when you are using carbon fibre.

Relating to distance it's also a bit of a philosophical question. Are you going to pick a line and choose the rod with which to cast it? In this case you are likely to pick a stiffer faster rod (for example an 867 to cast a long belly 6WT). Or are you going to start with the rod and then put a line on it to maximise distance - in which case you might opt for a heavier line.

Post 04 Jan 2020, 16:54 • #89 
Sport
This is getting way to complicated. Simply slow down your casting stroke and wait for the tug on the back cast. Then again what the hell do I know.

Happy Holidays Bohemian Bob

Post 12 Jan 2020, 09:11 • #90 
Glass Fanatic
These guys give your some great advice but for me I just went with a little faster glass so I did not have to change my stroke or hand position.One time I fell in love with a 7’ 6’ 2pc. 3/4 Steffen but would get a lot of tailing loops when I got on it so I had him make me a 5

Post 12 Jan 2020, 10:08 • #91 
Sport
As a followup, I did play with lengthening the haul (same distance, but over a longer time) and that helps make it a bit more effective. A shorter rod stroke combined with a good haul as bulldog suggests does seem to make a very nice efficient cast, though I had trouble getting much distance out of that either. I am likely overlined, and I also may be expecting unreasonable casting performance out of this rod/line combo.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 17:34 • #92 
Guide
It is likely that you are asking for too much out of that rod. Perhaps a larger size, or a bit longer rod with more power is what you need.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply