It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Jul 2018, 14:40 • #1 
Hello all.
New here.

I am a cane user, spinning and fly rods are vintage cane rods.
But, vintage fibreglass rods have been in the back of my mind a long time.
How are they?
I do like to get myself one and try it out.
But, what to look for?
Anyone who restore and sell these?

Cheers from Norway

Post 26 Jul 2018, 19:12 • #2 
Master Guide
Either fly fishing shows or eb*y or the rods for sale on this forum are good sources. Generally older fiberglass rods get hefty after 8ft, and with some brands after 7ft 9in. Many of the better vintage glass rods are 5&6 wt and lighter in hand. Maybe look thru the forum archives for reviews & charastics for specific brands & models. Is there a brand you are partial to because of past family history or etc ? There’s a ton of expertise available from members on this site.

Post 26 Jul 2018, 19:37 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
good place to see some of them described and reviewed: https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Main_Page

It is remarkable how many of the rods from the '60s & '70s show up in like new or unfished condition on Ebay. Some nicer than others but many must have been in closets since day1.

and welcome to the forum.

Post 26 Jul 2018, 21:03 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
My short answer, and in no way complete, is to start with a shorter Phillipson or Fenwick 5 or 6 weight. By short I'm meaning 7 1/2 feet or less. If I had to choose one coming from graphite, it would be a Phillipson. You are in for a great journey if you so choose.

Post 26 Jul 2018, 23:42 • #5 
Master Guide
I'd highly recommend you get yourself a vintage Fenwick, 8 feet or shorter. Some rods that come to mind are the FF70, FF705, FF75, FF755, FF756, FF786, FF79, FF806, etc. Any of those will be fine rods and will be either 5 or 6 weights and would make fine all around fishing tools. Ebay is a good bet to locate one.

Post 27 Jul 2018, 15:10 • #6 
Hello and thanks for the reply and tip.
Great.
One thing, an old fibreglass rod, will the fibres be weaker if left in the sun? Dam conditions?
Cheers all

Post 27 Jul 2018, 16:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If left in the sun fiberglass will begin to deteriorate. I don’t know how much sun glass can handle, but I’ve seen rods left exposed on a boat for a year or more that were getting fuzzy.

As you are in Norway it is difficult to know what types of rods you will run across. Generally speaking vintage rods with more guides relative to their length are better.

Post 27 Jul 2018, 20:05 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
My thoughts after forty odd years of using glass rods are that by the time the fibers-resin lose their strength and elasticity they will look bad. I have never seen one that had clear shine to it that was not fully functional.
Coming from cane you will adapt easier than if you came from carbon. I'd say look at rods in the same lengths and weights that you have been fishing, but that's just my opinion. I like to stay between 7'6" and 8' and between 6 and 8 weight in most of my fishing, though I have 5wt and 9wt and 8'6" and 9' rods.
I'd guess that if you state what you are currently using in cane and the sort of water and fish you seek, that some one here might make more specific recommendations. I've never seen one that i couldn't cast with and catch fish with, so some of the choice comes down to seeking a brand/model for looks or collectibility or other aesthetics.
An 8' Fenwick in what ever weight would not be a bad choice.

Post 28 Jul 2018, 04:49 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
That is a good take on it so far. I'll try to say it in another way. There are plenty of beaters and clunkers out there that are still sound and can be touched up or refurbished to be excellent rods. Others that look similar may be beyond satisfactory repair. Some of us fool with them, but for $5 out of a barrel at a junk shop.

There is no reason, if inexperienced in assessing condition, to mess with rods that look the least bit damaged or weathered. Plenty of rods in very good to as new condition are available used. A 'glass rod that has been used but stored carefully will be about as good as the day it was made.

Look at those and sooner or later you'll find a good one. Any of the Hardy rods in a length and line weight typical of what you like in bamboo might good. Not sure of what is commonly available in your area.

Post 28 Jul 2018, 09:39 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Since there was a small factory in Strand, Norway that was licensed by Shakespeare to produce the Howald Process and use the Wonderod name these might be easiest for you to come by. Tjøstheim brothers at one time produced 60% of the rods sold in Norway, according to a Michael Jensen article.
I saw a Asbjorn Horgard made Conolon Live Fiber rod on Ebay, so that's another rod that might be commonly available.
Assuming that both Shakespeare and Conolon gave instruction and guidance to these manufacturers prior to Licensing them to use the names the rods should be somewhat similar to the write ups in the Wiki I linked above.

Post 28 Jul 2018, 12:27 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe add Hardy to the list - I suspect they might be easier to come by in Europe than Phillipson or Fenwicks.

Post 28 Jul 2018, 14:47 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I was going to make a list, but I realized there are too many :)

But ask yourself "why vintage"? In general, shorter, lighter line models are going to be more fun. Anything over 8' and I start to think about graphite or newer glass rods.

Look rods that are well taken care of. Even ones in excellent condition are much cheaper than a new graphite rod or decent bamboo rod. Things to be on the lookout for:

* short tips
* loose or worn wraps
* rusted or pitted guides
* Ferrule issues (no gap on spiggot ferrules, loose or corroded metal ferrules.
* Ridged cork

And I would go for the best rods first, it's cheaper in the long run.

Here in the US, Fenwicks and Phillipsons come up often at reasonable prices. A lot were made and they hold up well. Go back to the early posts in the forum and start reading. 10 years ago, there were very few modern glass rods available and a lot more discussion of the different vintage rods.

If I were to start over, I would start with Fenwicks and then move to later model Phillipsons (or Orvis). It is hard to find a bad one in the bunch. JK Fisher ( Scientific Anglers, and Hardy) are other rods to consider. There are a lot of good Wonderrods and Conolon rods, but also a lot of rods that are not as good. Unless you enjoy trying all sorts of rods and don't mind buying some duds, you have to be carefull with the Wonderods, Conolon and even Heddon rods.

Carl

Post 28 Jul 2018, 15:05 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I'll add my two cents to include the Browning Silaflex rods and Cortland's Pro Crest, and FR-2000 rods. These rods come up fairly often on EBay and are usually pretty reasonably priced.

Post 18 Jun 2022, 09:18 • #14 
Find sellers who refurbish, re-condition, and restore Shakespeare fly rods of 7'9" and less. Such fly rods are available on eBay. They will cost more, but will be excellent for the long-term! They are handsome rods that do not take a set. Look for sellers that have polish fit the ferrules, clean the blank thoroughly, and recondition the cork ring handle as needed. Generally, ask the seller for the rod weight in ounces and total number of line guides and stick to the two-piece Howald Process fly rods with hook keepers and wrappings that are not worn. Check for rods with a good tube and sock.

Post 18 Jun 2022, 19:49 • #15 
Master Guide
I’d start with a 7 -7.5 ft Phillipson or Fenwick.

Post 18 Jun 2022, 22:13 • #16 
Master Guide
I’d look at a Fenwick 807, handles 6,7 and 8wt lines very well which makes it a great all around rod for the type of fishing I bet you do in Scandinavia.

Post 19 Jun 2022, 04:51 • #17 
Piscator
except guys, this is a 4-y-o thread that was randomly topped with a zombie recommendation for the least-favorite rod I ever owned.
It's starting to remind me of fan-boy posts on BR forum.

Post 19 Jun 2022, 08:02 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
"this is a 4-y-o thread that was randomly topped with a zombie recommendation for the least-favorite rod I ever owned.
It's starting to remind me of fan-boy posts on BR forum."

my sentiments exactly. seems like there have been a few of these weird "bumps" of old threads....not just here either, one of the other forums I used to post on regularly.

Post 19 Jun 2022, 10:24 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Newer members doiing searches and then commenting?I have no idea why so many forums just fade away,one that used to be lively and informative is down to maybe four members actively posting and a couple posting constantly .Since we deal with a lot of vintage stuff here there isn't much that is new,just new people i guess.A lot of stuff i am or was into only appeals to guys around my age which there are fewer of all the time.One upside to the current conditions is an uptick in people fishing and there seems to be more people checking this place out,

Post 19 Jun 2022, 12:53 • #20 
Master Guide
Good grief. Thanks for pointing that out.

I , for one, really need to pay more attention to the date stamps on the original post….

I was just about to comment and provide a link to a FFR post from Dry Fly Tom from 2006….

The OP probably isn’t even around anymore…. sheesh.

Post 19 Jun 2022, 14:25 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I thought about commenting on the age too, but figured we get new members all the time, they’ll often read through a lot of posts, and some of this might be useful. And I guess it’s potentially more useful now that the time, etc., has been put in context.

And yeah, the OP hasn’t visited since a couple of weeks after starting this thread. Hope the info helped.

New Topic Add Reply