It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:06

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Nov 2017, 18:16 • #1 
Guide
Here in Vermont we are seriously fly shop deficient, in fact you can count every one in the state on the fingers of one hand.....and still have fingers left over. So up here we're pretty much internet dependent for our fly gear. So who are your "go to" suppliers and for what? Here's my list...

Cabela's and Bass Pro.............................................rods, reels, line, backing, and waders
Feather Craft, J Stockard, and The Fly Shack.........fly tying supplies, tippet and floatant
Clear Stream Fly Fishing..........................................leaders
ebay..........................................................................vintage rods and reels

Last edited by sgoodroe on 06 Nov 2017, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Nov 2017, 19:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Steve,
Here in Oklahoma we're in about the same boat. Just offhand I can only think of three fly shops in the state. We do have Cabela's and BassPro Shops in Oklahoma City and Tulsa area, but in most cases it is more convenient to shop and order online. The nearest Bass Pro is about 70 miles away. Aside from ordering online from those two companies, I also use Madison River Fishing Company, Feather-Craft, Amazon, and E-bay. I don't tie very many flies myself, though I need to start using up some of my fly tying material. Most of my flies I order from Big Y Flies.

Larry

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on 05 Nov 2017, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Nov 2017, 19:12 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Locally there is DuPage Fly Fishing - nice guys, and have a great selection of fly tying materials for all species, especially non-trout like bass, pike and musky. I miss Kaufmann's Streamborn mail order very much!

Post 05 Nov 2017, 19:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Big Y. They are local and ship the same day, so I can get flies in a day or two. They have some interesting flies, a big assortment, and it is hard to beat $0.65 a fly.

Post 05 Nov 2017, 20:56 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Feather Craft !!

Pecos

Post 05 Nov 2017, 20:58 • #6 
Master Guide
I live in a small town of 2200 and we have one fly shop. My town is on the Arkansas River, so the name of the shop is ArkAnglers. Nice guys.

Post 05 Nov 2017, 21:47 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Its a long drive but Forest City Fly Shop in London Ontario gets my vote.If John doesn't have an item it may not exist. :)

Post 06 Nov 2017, 11:47 • #8 
Sport
Green Top is an incredible hunting and fishing store just north of Richmond. The store has an excellent selection of fly fishing gear and much, much more. There are many experienced sales people to assist you.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 12:39 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Diminishing of fly shops is everywhere, even here in Europe. Internet and less fly fishermen.
For small items I favor the internet. I don't really need larger items anymore.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 15:19 • #10 
Master Guide
ibookje wrote:
Diminishing of fly shops is everywhere, even here in Europe. Internet and less fly fishermen.
For small items I favor the internet. I don't really need larger items anymore.

It seems you're contributing to the diminishing local shops.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 15:54 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Creek wrote:

That is a dilemma, isn't it? I never buy anything at full retail online---things like Rio Fluoro tippet and leaders are usually full price, so I go to the shop. I never buy shoes online, if I try them on in a store, I buy them there. I never let them recommend a fly without buying a few. However, when I know what I want, and the choice is $60 for a couple dozen flies at the store or $15 online, or from some home fly tier with bugs on ebay, I go online.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 15:57 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
We had a small shop here in town, but they closed and moved the shop to the metro area last Friday...

There are a bunch of flyshops in the Denver metro area and 2 or 3 in the small towns that have rivers close. Its Colorado so sometimes it looks like there is a fly shop every other block.

I tried to support my local shop, but their stock was very limited and the prices were very inflated...I bought hooks, some feathers, and leaders and tippet from them, but other items I get on line or at one of the bigger shops.

I am just learning to tie so I have relied on BigY and FlyDeal to stock my boxes.

Last edited by Bloodhound on 07 Nov 2017, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 19:14 • #13 
Master Guide
I fish all over, and work on the road so there are quite a few I like.

Below are some of my favorites:

Troutfitter - Syracuse NY
Malindas- Altmar, N.Y.
Catskill Flies - Roscoe, N.Y.
Fly Fishers Paradise - State College, PA
Hacheys Fly Shop- Veazie, ME
Jimmy'S All season angler- Idaho falls, id
My local shop was Oak Orchard Flies - Williamsville, NY but sadly they closed.

I like ordering online from hook and hackle (pa), anglers pro (pa), and wishes and fishes (ar).

There are a few shops I don't like but I won't name them.

Last edited by novisor12 on 07 Nov 2017, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 20:00 • #14 
Master Guide
1) Jack's Tackle (Jack Mickievicz). We've been friends for a long time and I visit him at least once a month. My wife knows I won't be home for hours when I go there. He sells retail and wholesale. He sells his blended dubbing to fly shops as their "store brand" and some shops under his brand. He was one of the first to offer blended dubbing. His blending machine came from a DuPont factory that closed decades ago. Sometimes he asks my input when he is blending something new. It is an amazing thing to watch. And his basement.....rows and rows of shelving and barrels. Stuff you won't find anywhere else. I'm like a kid in a candy store. He also is a master rod builder and does repairs to rods, including bamboo. By the way, the thread bobbin most of us use? He invented it.

2) TCO fly shop. I live 1/4 mile away, buy stuff there and trade info regarding the local streams.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 20:11 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Somewhat local; Paradise Fly Fishers. On line; Bob Marriott's with Cabela's in the mix for their private label hooks.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 20:42 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
novisor12 wrote:

Getting off topic, but the 65 cent flies you speak of don't come from an amateur home tier, they come from a sweatshop in Asia. If you tied flies you wouldn't balk at 2 or 3 bucks for a nicely tied fly.

http://www.bentonflybox.com Made in Maine by good folks, and lots of flies for 65 cents or less.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 20:52 • #17 
Guide
Newfydog wrote:
and it is hard to beat $0.65 a fly.

I agree about Big Y, who also ties in house, in Oregon. Incidentally, by the dozen you can get a lot of their flies for 52 (or even 48) cents.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 21:09 • #18 
Master Guide
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 22:11 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
HERTERS

Post 07 Nov 2017, 01:28 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
novisor12 wrote:

Getting off topic, but the 65 cent flies you speak of don't come from an amateur home tier, they come from a sweatshop in Asia. If you tied flies you wouldn't balk at 2 or 3 bucks for a nicely tied fly.

Actually, if you knew a bit about Asia, had lived there and spoke a few of the languages, you would not begrudge them a chance to make a living. I spent a good part of my life over there and am fluent in Indonesian, and it amazes me how many people who are only vaguely familiar with the region see fit to lecture me on how the global economy works. There are indeed some sweatshops, but there are many win-win situations. The whole story would require an entire forum, and we would be better off sparing this congenial forum of such debates.

Post 07 Nov 2017, 06:54 • #21 
Master Guide
Maybe sweatshop was harsh. More accurate would be people who have never fly fished. I strongly feel that people who fly fish tie much better flies than those who don't. That was the angle I was looking for, I was not trying to lecture you on how the global economy works. I'm much more well versed in fly tying and fly fishing than the global economy or Asia, so I'll stick to what I know from here on out.

At the end of the day, I tie my own flies so it really doesn't affect me at all. Everyone's situation and opinions are different, by all means do what works best for you.

Post 07 Nov 2017, 07:56 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Having fished for as long as I have, I have more stuff than I need and I have developed tackle preferences that I stick by after years of trying everything new that came down the pike. It’s the same with my other hobbies.

In this day of 40,000 fly-fishing SKU’s, the likelihood that any one shop can carry everything, let alone the brands I like means I don’t bother going into fly shops anymore because I never find what I am after or buy anything anyway. The same goes for the fly-fishing shows.

These days it is the Internet about 100% of the time with whoever has the lowest price/free freight/no tax winning out.

The lone exception might be Harry Murray’s shop for flies & poppers when I am in the area.

Post 07 Nov 2017, 11:08 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Creek wrote:

So you know my reasons why?

Post 07 Nov 2017, 12:19 • #24 
Guide
Personally, I'd be happy just to have a local fly shop at all. I wouldn't mind paying a little more to help out a local business. But that being said, I'm a 3 hour round trip drive to my closest fly shop. I've made the hike down there a few times...nice people, decent inventory........but I definitely feel the quality of the service I get when I walk through the door would be a whole lot different if I pull into the parking lot in my wife's Escalade instead of my 32 year old Jeep. Just that kind of place.

When I used to live in St.Albans, VT there was a small shop called Booth Sporting Goods that carried just about everything for all kinds of fishing (and hunting), The owner Doug, carried more fly fishing and tying stuff then anything else and was always happy to order in what he didn't have. That shop has been gone for 20 years now and I've never found anything to replace it.....other then the internet.

For what it's worth I've been seriously thinking about turning my now empty, old automotive repair shop in Richford into a fly shop.....but that's still a couple years away at best.

Post 07 Nov 2017, 17:51 • #25 
Sport
Shannons in Califon NJ. Small shop with a pretty good selection of basic gear. They don't stock everything I want but they do supplemental stocking on local rivers with money donated plus funds added by the store plus they run a lot of educational programs so I try to buy what ever I can from them.

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply