It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:03

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Nov 2017, 18:44 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
The new(ish) local shop here in Toronto (Drift Outfitters) is run by a friend of mine - he keeps it very well stocked with anything you’d need. But the prices are higher than what you can find online. For me, I’ve decided that if it’s something he sells I’m going to buy it from him because I want to support the shop. But I can totally understand the need to stretch your dollar a bit farther.

Post 07 Nov 2017, 18:52 • #27 
Guide
Richford? are there a good number of fly fishers close by?

Post 07 Nov 2017, 19:33 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I'm lucky to have Lund's Fly Shop (River Falls, WI) and Bob Mitchell's Fly Shop (St. Paul, MN) within a 15-20 min. drive and Lund's is on the way to my favorite rivers anyway.

Post 08 Nov 2017, 05:57 • #29 
Inactive
Lunds is around the corner from me. But like everyone else, I don't shop at my loc fly shop as much as much as I should. I love fly shops, but... we all know the story.. I do like to order tshirts from fly shops though. FFP is always great when I was in town. Sad to see oak orchard close. But they all seem to close eventually. It's tough going to a new area to fish without a local fly shop near by.

Post 08 Nov 2017, 06:55 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
We in MA are fortunate to have one of the best stocked fly fishing shops in the country. If you are ever in the Boston area you owe it to yourself to stop by and check it out. They ship worldwide for any out of the country and do so daily.

There is a virtual tour link on their webpage for those curious-

The Bears Den Fly Shop

https://www.bearsden.com/

Post 08 Nov 2017, 07:24 • #31 
Master Guide
I have seen many come and go over the years (mostly go), but I am certainly privileged to be among those that can stop in at The Bears Den Fly Shop. I remember Scott first opening the shop in the basement of his father's veterinary office before moving into its present and expansive location. Besides being a fully stocked fly fishing shop, they are great people and very helpful. My biggest problem, my work hours are the same as theirs. But they do a great online business as well.

Post 08 Nov 2017, 08:23 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
I'm lucky to have a good shop here in my hometown of Columbus, Mad River Outfitters. They've survived, and thrived, by being early adopters of online sales as well as developing their guiding business locally as well as to far away destinations. Other large well-run shops I've encountered include "The Fly Shop" in Redding, CA, Kingfisher in Missoula, MT, Dan Bailey in *********, MT.

Post 08 Nov 2017, 09:10 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Those of you wishing for a good local shop should be careful for what you wish for--within 20 miles of here there are seven specialty shops, as well as the bigger places, all promoting fishing and spilling the beans on local spots to all the tourists....... Actually, every one of them has a great staff and are very helpful. They have much better attitude than say, the bike shops.

The best of the bunch in my book is "the Fly Fisher's Place in Sisters, Oregon. It shows too, as the place is always busy, even in the winter.

Post 08 Nov 2017, 09:16 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
For years my go-to shop was Feather-Craft because it was my local shop. That got me to think about how all these mail order shops are actually local shops as well. The guys and gals that work there are fantastic. That said, I try my best to shop my local shops, or local shops to where I am. The Green Drake here in Winston Salem is a great shop, but as many are he's limited by what the locals will buy to what he carries. Another favorite 'local' shop is The Driftless Angler in Viroqua, WI. Murray's Fly Shop in Edinburg, VA is a great one too. Heard great things about Green Top north of Richmond, VA too.
Mossy Creek in Harrisonburg, VA is incredible. Living Waters in Round ROck, TX is also worth a stop.
Lots of WNC fly shops too that I always like to visit.
They always have the local flavors dialed in and are great for info - like others I always try to buy

Post 08 Nov 2017, 12:08 • #35 
Guide
Trouterbass wrote:
Richford? are there a good number of fly fishers close by?

Lots of fly fishers within a 20 mile radius, not necessarily in Richford, but definitely enough. Besides, I already own the building and it's right on the river. :)

Post 08 Nov 2017, 13:23 • #36 
Master Guide
Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, MT

Post 08 Nov 2017, 14:24 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
ffftroutbum wrote:
Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, MT

+1. Was there but once, this September, and they were very helpful. Plus, gotta love a place well-stocked with animal skins!

Post 08 Nov 2017, 15:02 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Tochtermans and Great Feathers in Baltimore, and Bear's Den for mail order.... and Chris Barclay!

Post 08 Nov 2017, 20:55 • #39 
Guide
Anglers All, Littleton, CO (home town)
Charlie's Fly Box, Arvada, CO (on the way home from work)
also, the local Bass Pro, Cabelas and Sportmans Warehouse.
some internet

Post 09 Nov 2017, 06:38 • #40 
http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/stpr_ ... c=US&st=VT and there is always Orvis.

Post 09 Nov 2017, 07:23 • #41 
Guide
Sgoodroe, Great, if you start the shop I will show up, only an hour, or so.

Post 09 Nov 2017, 11:00 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Fleabay!!! :)

Post 09 Nov 2017, 13:49 • #43 
Guide
If you are ever in the St. Louis, Mo area be sure to stop in at "T. Hargrove Fly Fishing". It's an experience well worth checking out!

Post 09 Nov 2017, 14:16 • #44 
Guide
I move between two continents, and as a result do see differences of stock in Europe and Canada. And though my office is in Stockholm, my wife, mortgage and tying vise is in Canada. So as my vise is in Canada, I am also thinking about shipping cost, ease of the border, et cetera ...

Canada - L'ami du Moucheur - our relationship goes back more than 20 years!
. there is also Stuart at Flymart, and First iCast n Guelph.

US - Bears Den - call in your order

FeatherCraft - but phone the order in, to manage shipping costs (their new website is a vast improvement)
Caddisfly - good stock, but their new website is a step back.
[*]I do not like site that use the WAPSI product photos only - like Caddisfly, as you do not get the full view of colours et cetera

I will go direct to the manufacturer like Hedron, RIO, NextCast, Monic or I will find better stock for Airflow or Guideline (3D lines) in the UK. I wish I could go direct to SIMMS (other than for repairs). I am happy to pick up my supplies in Munich or Stockholm too.

Always check the price!

I have used Anglers Workshop (but new owner has poorer shipping policies) and Mudhole. I really like Chris at Whitetail and hope the new owners are doing well.

If I am in LA, I will try to stop in Marriotts, and I like Backpackers Shop near Cleveland, Orlando Outfitters and Michel Young in Vancouver. If you are in Pulaski, please se Malinda!

I use to have an office in Boston and was a frequent visitor of American Angling in Salem NH and Hunters in NH. Both were amazing and sadly missed.

Post 09 Nov 2017, 18:28 • #45 
Guide
Pretty covered these days with local shops--Living Waters is good and close by. Miss the Austin Angler though. Online I used to really like Madison River, but it's like something happened right when they changed website formats. I liked the old one better and doesn't seem like they have deals on stuff I'm in the market for. It seems in general, online vendors are tightening up on their deals. Not sure what the deal is but I find less and less online that interests me. But then I'm not really buying a lot of gear and mainly obsessed with rod blanks and components. Angler's Workshop ships fast but are not super friendly but I recently discovered their extensive tying supplies selection.

If I may add rod building supplies, then Matt at Proof Fly Fishing is the clear standout. Hands down the best vendor service I've had with anyone ever. He wouldn't even have to do half the extra stuff he does to help you out but it's always the extra bit you didn't expect. Good selection too. Been meaning to throw that out there for a while. Seems like a lot of rod building supply outfits are kinda squirrelly in some way--not sure what's up with that. Even at that, Matt's awesome.

Post 10 Nov 2017, 04:12 • #46 
Guide
FishFirst is a ten minute bike ride away. It's a small but great shop whose sales guys are all really experienced and generous with their knowledge. They also offer lessons and guided trips from the Delta to the Sierra. Sister Store in Chico.

Jim Adams (Adams Angling) lives up the hill, and I've bought a couple of rods from him.

Further afield, in the Sacramento area, is Kienes Fly Shop. That's a great one if you're fishing the American and have a little time to spare. I finally stopped there for the first time last spring and bought a handful of shad flies.

The Fly Shop on the upper Sacramento is also a great shop.

Generally, if I need something that requires trying on or seeing in person, I head to Fishfirst for a look-see. If it's a fit, I follow through with a purchase from them. Thus Fishfirst has gotten all my wader and boot business, a lot of flies, whatever lines I feel need a look before purchasing, maps, etc., even if that item is less online. I want them to stay in business.

If I stop in at a fly shop in another area, I always buy some flies, tippet, something.

If I already know what I want and am just looking for the best price, I'll go online. Amazon Prime gets almost all our book business, and they deliver to a locker half a block away. That's a big relief as porch theft has become somewhat common hereabouts. Cabelas Bargain Basement has really done well by me, and the feeling is mutual!

Most of the vendors mentioned so far in this thread have gotten some of my business.

Ebay for all the old stuff - Martins, Medalists, Fenwicks, etc. - and the board here for newer used glass.

In a nutshell, I guess my approach is to spread the love but be smart about it.

tiptop wrote:
here in my hometown of Columbus, Mad River Outfitters
Thanks for this one, tiptop; I'll have to stop in next trip.

Post 10 Nov 2017, 08:23 • #47 
Sport
sticknhook wrote:
FishFirst is a ten minute bike ride away. It's a small but great shop whose sales guys are all really experienced and generous with their knowledge. They also offer lessons and guided trips from the Delta to the Sierra.

FishFirst was my preferred store when I was living in the Bay Area too -- little further of a drive than you as we lived in Richmond and then San Rafael. My first graphite rod (Sage LL) was from them. They got me (re-)started in fly tying too with their intro course. Wonderful store, it was always crammed full of stuff and the staff was always super helpful. So little space there that casting their rods was always done underneath the elevated BART tracks down the block! Good memories.

Post 10 Nov 2017, 08:53 • #48 
Master Guide
Lowcountry Fly Shop here in Mt Pleasant, Backwater Angler in Monkton, MD, Kirk's Fly Shop in Estes Park, CO, Fly Fishers Place in Sisters, OR, Coleman's Fly Shop outside of Rochester, NY and Mossy Creek Fly Shop in Harrisonburg, VA. It hasn't been easy but I haven't made a big-box-store fly fishing purchase in almost 4 years. One of the best in the business, Oak Orchard Fly Shop in Williamsville, NY was a tough loss to take.

Post 10 Nov 2017, 10:04 • #49 
Guide
shudaizi,

San Rafael? Then you probably remember and patronized Western Sports on 3rd or 4th. They closed their doors four or five years ago. Major loss for the Marin area.

Post 10 Nov 2017, 10:27 • #50 
Sport
sticknhook,

I was only in there a couple of times (the three years we lived in SR I was eyeball deep in writing my dissertation and the grueling job search process, with little time for anything else, so I was on an extended hiatus from fishing). But it was a large and well-stocked store -- sad to hear of that loss for north bay sportsmen. Same story almost everywhere I guess.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply