It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:46

New Topic Add Reply
micro thin fly lines
Post 02 Nov 2017, 15:23 • #1 
I think that this has come up a few years ago on this board but more experience may exist now so I am asking if anyone has any thoughts on the micro thin fly lines being presented by Sunray fly fishing out of England. How do fiberglass rods handle them, do they roll cast well etc.

Re: micro thin fly lines
Post 02 Nov 2017, 16:36 • #2 
Master Guide
Never used them, but I don't understand the science behind them. If they are thinner than other lines, then they must be more dense at the same line weight, which means they won't float well or at all.

I guess I'd be interested if they work as advertised, but I've found some lines that I like and I won't be switching anytime soon.

Post 03 Nov 2017, 12:33 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I hope this isn't considered an off topic reply, but here is my take on the thinner diameter design fly lines both classic and modern.
Can't comment on the "sunray" line up, however I have fished this thinner type of line since the early 70's in the English made Masterlines "Chaulk Stream" and it's American produced Sunset "Ultimate". They are the closest plastic lines can come to mimicking true silk lines. They are what I refer to as low floating floating lines. They are best used in flat water trout fishing as they float suspended in the surface film and not on or above it like a high floater. I do use mine in all types of water fast, slow, flat or broken surfaces. One does have to get used to the appearance of the very tips of these lines floating in the top inch of the water column, I do use Muclin on the first 12" of the line to keep it up. The sunray site claims a coating that helps float the tip. I get lots of weird looks and comments from my companions when they see how my lines float, asking me why it's sinking?
However, these lines are great casting lines, good for delicate presentations(lack of mass) and they cut the through the wind very very well, due to the thinner diameter having less wind resistance.
Sorry, I couldn't comment directly about Sunray lines, but I like these style of lines are very much. As an aside 406 lines are made in this thinner style
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 03 Nov 2017, 15:26 • #4 
Sport
I have fished the Arctic Silver lines (made by Sunray). They do cast/shoot very well, even in wind - due to the low diameter. Almost like a mono/shooting head setup.
They also take up very little space on the reel. (I have reels that would normally have trouble with a regular #6 line that will take a #8 micro diameter line without problems)

However, I found their intermediate line to sink WAY too fast (more like a sink 2/3), a big problem where i fish.
I have used their floating line too, and didn't notice any problems with it sinking. I only tested that one for a day though, and only with one line model (Arctic Silver MD #8F).
I have a #6 floating line too, will need to go test that soon.

Post 03 Nov 2017, 16:29 • #5 
Master Guide
I have two Terenzio artificial silk lines that are much thinner than plastic coated lines. They do require dressing to float, but cast like bullets in the wind because of their smaller diameter.

Post 03 Nov 2017, 16:50 • #6 
Thanks for the thoughts and the clarifying information, it helps!

all best

Post 07 May 2021, 08:40 • #7 
Master Guide
I know this is an old thread...but I believe this is on exact same topic with new product. So here goes. After watching Tom Bell cast like a legend with it on a video, and noticing a sale price, I bought the new 4wt “ProLine” by Sunray, which is marketed as follows: “a short 33' - 40' head length capable of huge distances with minimal back cast. Use this line from bank or boat, still water or river. Use in freshwater or saltwater from -10 celsius to 35 celsius. Start with leaders 9'-12' and extend up to 20' if needed. Use with small, medium and large flies.”
This line does not come with a plastic spool to reduce waste.
2 smooth, small, strong welded loops
Micro thin running line
100' total length
33-45' head length
Low memory
Lies straight”

These are exactly the conditions I fish in coastal Mississippi. Salt and fresh. Lots of bank and dock casting but also kayak bayou days, and time in the open water on a Bass Tracker.

I put it on a traditional small arbor Ross reel and my ********* Western Glass 8’6” 4wt to start. So far I am impressed. The line casts/shoots extremely well; it is very good in wind with bigger flies. The low diameter of the running line is surprising on the reel and in the stripping hand. As someone said before it is almost like a mono/shooting head rig. The bright orange line is highly visible on the tea-stained fresh and muddy brackish water. It floats like a cork and lays out perfectly straight right out of the pouch. In fact now that I think about it I didn’t even stretch it out before casting. Definitely takes up very little space on the reel, too. I haven’t hooked up with anything big on it yet but I caught my first gar on the fly, a spotted 16” or so. Glad he self released when I got him to edge of the water, since I only had my small hemostat in my back pocket. More to come after I test drive some more.

Post 07 May 2021, 11:43 • #8 
Guide
Never used and wouldn't use Sunray gear. His lines are marketed as a premium floating line, but I've heard too many reviews that say they cast well but don't float properly.
The problem with Sunray is the guy bashes brands like Cortland that have a big following and been around years yet his brand is new, products don't seem to work as advertised and customer service is supposed to be very poor.
Glad you seemed to have got a good line DaveS.

Post 07 May 2021, 21:01 • #9 
Master Guide
Roger that. Your mileage may vary but I’ve had a top notch experience so far. Tom is totally cocky but I haven’t seen him bash the big brands. I’m in the entertainment business so I appreciate a showman, especially one who can back up his big talk. This is a (relatively) low priced line that over-delivers IMHO.

New Topic Add Reply