It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:40

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Oct 2018, 19:37 • #76 
Master Guide
My favorite is the first Orvis rod I ever bought, it is a Limestone Special I bought new in 1979. The second is an Orvis HLS 7'9" Far and Fine model I bought new in 1990. I have owned several other Orvis graphites that I traded off over the years. but these two remain. I also have had a couple of Orvis Battenkill bamboos. I also have a Orvis fullflex fly/spin fiberglass.

Post 19 Oct 2018, 19:41 • #77 
Master Guide
My favorite is the first Orvis rod I ever bought, it is a Limestone Special I bought new in 1979. The second is an Orvis HLS 7'9" Far and Fine model I bought new in 1990. I have owned several other Orvis graphites that I traded off over the years. but these two remain. I also have had a couple of Orvis Battenkill bamboos. I also have a Orvis fullflex fly/spin fiberglass.

Post 03 Nov 2018, 19:24 • #78 
Glass Fanatic
Anyone have a catalog that might indicate the year or years that the Orvis Zephyr was offered? This was a nine foot 4wt with a superfine grip in a three piece blank. Recently came across one and cannot find any info on it.

Post 03 Nov 2018, 19:40 • #79 
Master Guide
Jeff check out the Facebook page Vintage Orvis Graphite Rods. Huib is a great guy and can probably help you!

Post 03 Nov 2018, 20:43 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
jeffsod wrote:
Anyone have a catalog that might indicate the year or years that the Orvis Zephyr was offered? This was a nine foot 4wt with a superfine grip in a three piece blank. Recently came across one and cannot find any info on it.

I sure hope you bought it :)

Post 03 Nov 2018, 21:22 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
I thought about it after leaving the shop and did some research online and realized it was pretty rare so sent a note later to the shop and committed so yes. Previous owner was a collector of Orvis unfortunately the reason for consigning was due to health.

Post 04 Nov 2018, 02:25 • #82 
Sport
Well if you like a nice 9' #4 rod that is really soft, go for it. One note though it is tip heavy. I like it very much for nymphing, I cant think of a rod that is better for roll casting (apart from some nice bamboo of course). The tip weight and easy loading make it cast effortlessly on those roll casts. It will still cast a full line overhand mind you (if you can cast of course ;) ) I use an Airflo Nymph taper in WF4F on it for wet flies, and for dry fly a cortland sylk DT5F. I really like to do North Country Spider Fishing with it. No idea what that is? Here is a link on a short intro. https://youtu.be/Ge7Cl6ltAAs
What I like is short line upstream fishing pockets and edges, it is really intensive and you have to watch your leader carefully like a heron while all the time keeping in tough with your line/flies, just keeping enough slack to guarantee a drag free drift. Try it, esspecially when the fish are rising, you will be amazed how effective it can be. AND fun with a Zephyr as it bends on a fish as well.

Post 04 Nov 2018, 07:16 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
Huib thank you very much for your input on the subject fly rod! Sounds like you like this fly rods unique action.

Post 05 Nov 2018, 22:59 • #84 
Glass Fanatic
The first trout on the newly acquired Zephyr. Had perfect conditions yesterday to get some casting in unfortunately that was all it was casting. This evening I managed this nice trout to round out the experience. Very full flexing with a fish.

Post 05 Nov 2018, 23:03 • #85 
Glass Fanatic
A picture of the butt showing the rod name in the daylight...

Post 06 Nov 2018, 01:11 • #86 
Sport
Nice fish Jeff, I can imagine it bent your rod quite a bit. Enjoy! You are lucky to have one of these zephyrs. I only know of 3 people to have one.

Post 06 Nov 2018, 16:33 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
That is awesome, rod and fish.

Post 09 Feb 2020, 18:33 • #88 
Guide
Jeff, With that 4wt line on the 2wt, does it slow it down to feel more like the original Graphite series OR is it still pretty quick? I owned a 6wt Western, which was awesome, but completely different then the original graphite series, or course.

jeffsod wrote:
pgwulf wrote:
Since then I have divested myself of all but the 8 1/2' "Western 2 wt" (built in 1988) so that must be my favorite.

I have several of the vintage Orvis graphites and love them all. The Western 2 wt is a favorite of mine also but I fish it with a 4wt line which I find a nice match.

Post 09 Feb 2020, 18:48 • #89 
Master Guide
During that era of my life, I preferred the 8 ft Trout, Far & Fine, Brook Trout, Otter, and also owned, but didn't really like, the 8 ft Trout (3pc)—Sleeve ferrules ruined the action vs the 2pc version. If I were to go back to classic Orvis graphites, I'm pretty sure I'd choose the Tippet and 7/11 instead—I like to think I'm more "refined" now, lol.

Post 09 Feb 2020, 19:10 • #90 
Master Guide
Small stream 705. Fishes a 4 line well too.

Post 09 Feb 2020, 23:13 • #91 
Unsanded 7'9" Far & Fine , Such a great rod . Heck I was just getting out of HS one of the local shops was showing me this used rod and they snapped the tip top off , the owner was so embarrassed he said if your buying a reel I`ll give you the rod ... Lost about 1/2 inch and was fishing this rod that evening .. That rod has caught so many fish and created so many great memories , its the rod that both my kids learned how to fly fish on to boot ..

Post 10 Feb 2020, 08:12 • #92 
Guide
Finally got my hands on a 8'3" "All Rounder". Wonderful rod that can do it all as Orvis said in their catalogs. My only complaint is that the cigar grip should have been a half or full wells for a rod of that length and line weight. Other than that, the rod performs well with it's medium blank.
I ham read that not only will it cast the 7 weight line, but can handle a 6 and an 8. Very versatile.

On a sad note- I heard and read that Orvis is no longer producing their superfine graphite rods.
They are retaining the glass version :) in superfine.

As much as I do not ned another rod, will be on the look out for an original superfine. :)

Post 10 Feb 2020, 08:57 • #93 
Guide
My favorite? Tom Rosenbauer...and he's that kind of man...loaned me an 8'9" "Bass and Bonefish" rod when we went smallmouth fishing on the Connecticut together in the mid l980's. When we finished and I tried handing it back, he wouldn't take it: "That's for you," he said, and that generous gesture was one of the things that got me fascinated with fly fishing for bass.

A fine rod--but, sad to say, it's now on the bottom of that same CT River, when I dropped it overboard once from my canoe and the heavy reel sank it like a stone!

Gotta say, I love my old Ultra lite 2-weight, which was I believe the first 2-weight anyone offered?

Post 10 Feb 2020, 09:19 • #94 
Master Guide
Orvis Clearwater 7'9" 5 wt. IMHO.
Gary

Post 10 Feb 2020, 13:20 • #95 
First post here , thanks to all for such a wealth of info !!

I have only 2 Orvis rods - an early superfine 'Light Salmon' , 8 1/2 foot for 8 wt. .... and a Boron/Graphite 8 foot 9 inch for 7 wt. . I've yet to fish either , but cast both on a regular basis ...

The Powerflex Boron/Graphite is likely the best casting rod I've ever had in my Hands . I can throw an entire Mastery GPX 7 wt. floater and 10-foot leader with it , and have absolute loop control . This model has a reputation for blowing up for any reason , or no reason at all . Wood reel seat insert , so I'm not sure I will ever use it (I fish only salt these days.) ....

The Light Salmon ? While it is labeled for 8 wt. , I can barely cast a 6 wt. with it ! Gutless , so slow that you struggle to not fall asleep while waiting for it to respond .... just weird . Kind of sad , since it has nice fittings (Aluminum seat , removable fighting butt ...) . I bounce between vintage soft Glass , and kooky-fast 'modern' rods , but I just cannot get this one to work !

David

Post 10 Feb 2020, 13:55 • #96 
Guide
what wd68 said- losing a prized rod and reel, having also done that, a rod leash of some sort is an invaluable piece of necessary equipment when fishing from a boat, canoe, yak or float tube.
when the rod is not being used, leash it and when being used, use a wrist leash. you will not regret it.

Post 10 Feb 2020, 15:34 • #97 
Guide
It was the Rocky Mountain version of the 7'-9" Far & Fine. I gave it to my daughter-in-law this past summer when they were passing through on their move from the west coast to New England. I hadn't use it much the last several years due to some Fenwick Fenglass I have acquired and she was really impressed the light weight ( she's all of 5' tall). I even got her a new Battenkill click pawl II to go with it. I still have an Orvis Rocky Mountain 8"-6" 4 piece 6 weight. Fairly nice rod but somewhat tip heavy due to all the ferrules. At least the 5 wt. is still in the family.

Post 28 Feb 2020, 15:20 • #98 
I have a 7-1/2ft "Trout" marked for a 6 line that I fish with a 5DT for brookies here in Maine. Also an "All Rounder" that I use a 6DT for on landlocks and a 7WF on Smallmouth.

Post 29 Feb 2020, 09:44 • #99 
Master Guide
I have two, 1979 made Orvis Limestone Special and a 1991 made HLS Far and Fine. My very favorite Orvis rod is my 1975 vintage Battenkill bamboo.

Post 08 Mar 2020, 00:36 • #100 
Sport
another nod to the HLS version of the Far & Fine. Mine is a '92 model that is my fave trout rod but the vintage graphite rod that I like above all others is an 8', 6wt. Fisher Original from the early 80's. Oh man! You want to talk about a graphite rod with glass soul this is the one for me.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next New Topic Add Reply