It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:18

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Apr 2017, 05:45 • #26 
Guide
the 7 weight all rounder- a great rod
I have collected and fished the Cortland GRF1000 which is a all rounder clone in 6/7 weight for years- Unsanded blank just like the Orvis.
the blanks were almost identical at more than half the price. great rods.

Post 14 Apr 2017, 08:23 • #27 
Guide
I don't have one. Wish I did though. This thread had me searching for one and I found they were way more expensive than what I thought they would be. I'll keep looking.
Joe

Post 14 Apr 2017, 10:43 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
oldsaltnfla wrote:
I don't have one. Wish I did though. This thread had me searching for one and I found they were way more expensive than what I thought they would be. I'll keep looking.
Joe

These rods typically fetch $275-$300 in very good condition with original sack and tube.

Post 14 Apr 2017, 10:45 • #29 
Sport
7'6" 3wt Tippet for sure, followed closely by my HLS Far-n-Fine. Both unsanded. Phil

Post 14 Apr 2017, 11:24 • #30 
Master Guide
corlay wrote:
oldsaltnfla wrote:
Joe

These rods typically fetch $275-$300 in very good condition with original sack and tube.

I think these rods are excellent values. I still think there are deals to be had as well, especially for the patient buyer. I have gotten some nice buys on mine. Here's what I paid for mine. Rocky Mountain HFork - $130 near mint, Tippet $225 shipped near mint, 7'11" mint $250, Spring Creek 4 piece excellent $140. The near mint ones were close to new but not as mint as the 7'11"which I don't think was ever fished.

IMHO, $300 would be on the high side for me. At that price I would only consider a mint example. A pretty much new 7'11" just sold on the auction side for $265. I though that was a great price. I almost considered buying it, haha, but that might be getting a bit hoarder like :).

Post 14 Apr 2017, 17:09 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
flask and sandwich wrote:
Spring Creek, 9'3" 5wt. I have a 2-piece from 1977 and it's as lovely a big-water dry fly rod as I could ever want. It's my Delaware River "holy grail" rod.

Built one of those from a blank in 1981, loved that rod, used it for all my trout fishing with a CFO III. It shattered one day in 1995 during a double-haul.. still have the shards, haven't been able to throw them away..

the only other Orvis graphite I have is a Western series 9' 6wt built from a blank in the late 80s. It's a fine rod but faster than I like for most fishing. Still works though..

Post 14 Apr 2017, 18:51 • #32 
Mine is the 7'9" for 5 wt. Doesnt see much daylight these days but it is one of a few rods I just cant bring myself to sell.
Best,
Steve

Post 14 Apr 2017, 21:37 • #33 
Guide
Orvis Superfine 6 1/2' 2 pc. "1 ounce 2 weight", a gem of a rod, great for small streams and small fish but I accidently caught some pretty large fish on it too.

Post 14 Apr 2017, 21:47 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
corlay wrote:
oldsaltnfla wrote:
Joe

Maybe for the shorter rods in lighter weights. The rods labeled 6wt and 7wt can be had for much less. Comparing them to vintage glass prices, these rods seem to be twice the price for a comparable Fenwick. And many don't have comparable vintage glass alternative. The SevenEleven or any 4wt and the rods that are 9'

It's interesting to hear everyone's favorite but after reading all the replies I think there is a special Orvis graphite for any type of fishing you want to do.

Post 14 Apr 2017, 22:31 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
oldsaltnfla wrote:
Joe

It seems one of the most sought after rods is the 7'9" 5wt unsanded far and fine. There are, however, several rods from that same blank which may be very similar, depending on who you listen to. I have the 7'9" wt Superfine full flex 5.5 which I picked up for about half of what the better known models sell for. I have not cast the original far and fine so I don't have a point of comparison, but it is a super light rod with an almost glass like action.

Here's a thread on the series which discusses various models which either may or may not be bargain equivalents to the far and fine.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/show ... n-of-worms

Post 15 Apr 2017, 17:32 • #36 
Master Guide
I have an 8' rod that I bought the year Orvis came out with graphite rods. Like all my friends (we all bought one) I found it casts best with a 5 weight line, although it was rated by Orvis as a 6 weight. Sweet casting rod.

Post 13 Jun 2017, 18:34 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I rounded out my collection today. A Spring Creek 9' 3". It joins the Far&fine, Henry's Fork, Limestone Special, and Seven Eleven as my truly special named rods. I have two 1970's rods that predate the naming that fall into this category: an 8' 6wt (trout) and 8' 3" 7# (Allrounder).

I have a couple of other Orvis rods, but these are really special. I think the Henry's Fork is my favorite as a general purpose Pennsylvania trout rod. But the Spring Creek is a wonderful, full flexing 5wt with some swing weight.

I no longer have any Orvis rods on my "to buy if one comes up" list. I even sold my backup Henry's Fork recently.

Post 14 Jun 2017, 19:31 • #38 
Sport
8' 4 wt Western, 7'9" 2 wt Ultrafine, 7'11" 4 wt Seven/Eleven & 7'9" 5 wt Far and Fine.........

Post 14 Jun 2017, 19:48 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
That's a GREAT photo melodious_thunk! I need to photo my two accordingly. Very cool.

Post 14 Jun 2017, 21:37 • #40 
Guide
carlz wrote:
I rounded out my collection today. A Spring Creek 9' 3". It joins the Far&fine, Henry's Fork, Limestone Special, and Seven Eleven as my truly special named rods. I have two 1970's rods that predate the naming that fall into this category: an 8' 6wt (trout) and 8' 3" 7# (Allrounder).

It's good to see I'm not the only one expanding his collection. I recently added a 9' 4wt Zephyr. The jury is still out on how I feel about it as its awfully tip heavy, while still very lively with a fish on it and it does cast a country mile.

Still favor the 711 and the Ultrafine.

Post 15 Jun 2017, 09:53 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
I've cast more than a few. Out of all of them, I'd probably pick:

7'6" Trout
7'0" Otter
8'6" Henry's Fork
7'9" Far & Fine

In that order. These are about as good as graphite trout rods get 8'6" and below.

Post 15 Jun 2017, 10:23 • #42 
Master Guide
Anyone have Springcreek 9'3" 5 wght is great shape which to sell? It has eluded me for ever.

Post 15 Jun 2017, 12:09 • #43 
Master Guide
I'm with the F&F group. A very sweet rod.

Post 15 Jun 2017, 19:33 • #44 
Guide
I like the 8'6" Henry Fork just a little better than the Far & Fine. But then there's the 8'6" Limestone.........OK, The Henrys Fork.

Post 15 Jun 2017, 20:00 • #45 
Sport
carlz wrote:

I have a couple of other Orvis rods, but these are really special. I think the Henry's Fork is my favorite as a general purpose Pennsylvania trout rod. But the Spring Creek is a wonderful, full flexing 5wt with some swing weight.

Enjoy your new Spring Creek, carlz. It really has an interesting character, doesn't it? You can really feel that chunky upper middle of the rod working. It is fuller flexing than most of my glass rods. But boy it can cast some pointy loops. Or rather, "could". I broke the tip on mine last week.

Post 15 Jun 2017, 20:12 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Enjoy your new Spring Creek, carlz. It really has an interesting character, doesn't it? You can really feel that chunky upper middle of the rod working. It is fuller flexing than most of my glass rods. But boy it can cast some pointy loops. Or rather, "could". I broke the tip on mine last week.

I'm sorry about your broken tip. Keep an eye out for another.

And yes, it really is an interesting rod. I was going to compare it to glass, but it's so much lighter (while still having the swing weight and flex that is more suggestive of glass) and really can cast the "pointy loops". From yard casting, it seems like a real winner, but I've leaned that i have to fish a rod a few times before I can make that call.

Post 15 Jun 2017, 20:33 • #47 
Master Guide
It's funny. Just the other day in another thread some were talking about how worthless graphite rods were. You sure couldn't tell that by this thread. :)

Post 16 Jun 2017, 14:02 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:

I'm sorry about your broken tip. Keep an eye out for another.

And yes, it really is an interesting rod. I was going to compare it to glass, but it's so much lighter (while still having the swing weight and flex that is more suggestive of glass) and really can cast the "pointy loops". From yard casting, it seems like a real winner, but I've leaned that i have to fish a rod a few times before I can make that call.

the first time I cast a good cane rod, I thought, "oh so this is what the Spring Creek was designed to be".. it's a bamboo action in graphite to my mind, and perfectly executed. Terrific rod. Nearly bid on that one you just bought ;-)

Post 16 Jun 2017, 15:57 • #49 
Master Guide
I thought I might post some pics of my four piece Spring Creek. I prefer mine with a 6 weight though. Some time ago I was able to cast the two piece version which was a remake by Orvis. They would remake some of the older rods on a custom basis. I think they have stopped offering that service though. I also prefered this rod with a six under most normal fishing distances. Since it's the only 9'3" two piece version I have cast, I have no idea if it was stiffer than some of the older ones. Of the two, I preferred the four piece version. But if I had to use the this rod with just a 5, I would probably opt for the Henry's Fork as it is a more pleasant casting five in my hands.
First bend pic with about 5 oz, second with 2.5 oz if I remember correctly
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 17 Jun 2017, 19:51 • #50 
My first fly rod was an Orvis 7'9" Far and Fine and my second was an Orvis All-Rounder both purchased in Manchester Vt when that was the only Orvis store location. They are both still high up on my favorites list.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next New Topic Add Reply