It is currently 13 May 2021, 17:46

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Jan 2017, 19:07 • #1 
Master Guide
I watched the events in DC today via live stream. When I saw President Carter in attendance, I remembered that he is a fly angler himself, and would've been fishing with cane and glass rods for years by the time he took high office. I know President Bush Sr liked to fish too, but never read if he was a fly angler or just gear. I don't believe that President Clinton or VP Gore were anglers - I think they were golfers. VP Cheney fly fishes, and VP Biden seems like he'd be a fisherman, though I don't know if he does or not. This all got me wondering what sort of tackle that these gents would fish.

The picture I get in my mind of President Carter fishing is with a fine, light weight cane rod fishing for brooks and browns in an Appalachian stream.

VP Cheney I see using a fast action 9' 5 or 6 weight, knowing that he likes to fish near Jackson Hole. He seems like a graphite kind of guy...

I get a similar vibe from Bush Sr - IF he was a fly angler, I can see him using graphite to chase striped bass around Chesapeake Bay.

VP Biden seems like he may be a glass guy - probably something top notch like McFarland or Morgan.

I can't see President Trump as a fisherman - and I've not really seen VP Pence much aside from the campaign trail, so I don't get a vibe on if he's an angler, and if he'd be a fly angler. I know President Obama got a nice flyrod as a gift sent to him, and there's photo ops of him actually using it, but I don't think fishing is a real passion of his - he really seems to like golf though. I think his successor is likewise a big golf fan. To each their own.

I would say though - that given the opportunity to fish with any of them, I'd jump on it, even if we were on opposite ends of the spectrum, politically (a shocking sentiment to some in our modern wold that folks can get along even if they don't have the same opinions about politics.) May be one of the safest fishing trips a guy could go on, what with the number of guards keeping the riff raff at bay, the med evac on standby, advance teams scouting the route ahead to warn of hazards. Maybe they'd even spot fish, or radio back with likely looking spots. At the very least they could use a sonar to map depth and bottom conditions. The shore lunch would probably be pretty awesome too.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 19:51 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Gerald Ford used to go skiing at Vail. The secret service would ski a ring around him at all times. That would make a mess of a stream.

Pence might be a calm and methodical fly fisher, but think the Donald would be more the type to fish with a stick of dynamite.

I read a nice article on Carter fishing for giant taimen in Mongolia. The guide said he was the hardest working guy in the entire camp. Was very pleased with his first spey rod. He finally got a trophy and the guide dropped it before the picture was taken.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 19:52 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I seem to recall a photo of President Carter with a rod and reel in display (Cover on the initial release of his On Angling book). Maybe a Fenwick HMG and Ross R. I think I first saw it on one of Hellmtflies posts over on clarks.

Fishing the Hoover camp is a good hike in on the Rapidan. Great brookie fishing in Shenandoah National Park.

You got me googling and I came up with a few neat pages.
http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/m ... -in-chief/
https://www.whitehousehistory.org/the-p ... of-the-day

And to prove Jimmie Carter was into some serious fly fishing:
http://www.flyfisherman.com/warmwater/o ... ng-taimen/

Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:07 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Ah yeah, I also saw one of President Carter's bamboo rods in the Fly Fishing Museum in Manchester, Vermont

Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:13 • #5 
Master Guide
I guess all & all, I'd rather fish with the losers rather than the winners-smaller crouds. I don't necessarily agree with his politics or private life for that matter, but I bet Bill Clinton would be a fun fishing partner if he was willing to take up a fly rod.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:14 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Here's Carter with an Oyster bamboo rod.

http://www.oysterbamboo.com/files/carter_collage3.pdf

Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:18 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Donald Trump jr is an avid fly fishing I believe.

Bob

Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:22 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Bill Oyster built President Carter a fly rod and I know he had some H.L Leonard rods, one which was swiped from him during the the move out of the White House which is about as low as it gets.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:38 • #9 
Guide
If I remember correctly Jimmy Carter wasn't really much of a fly fisherman (if at all) until he left office. When asked what wanted to do with his time he said one of his wishes was to become a "really good fly fisherman".

So I doubt he had any experience with fine glass and bamboo before becoming President.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:45 • #10 
Guide
mmckenzie wrote:
I watched the events in DC today via live stream. When I saw President Carter in attendance, I remembered that he is a fly angler himself, and would've been fishing with cane and glass rods for years by the time he took high office. I know President Bush Sr liked to fish too, but never read if he was a fly angler or just gear. I don't believe that President Clinton or VP Gore were anglers - I think they were golfers. VP Cheney fly fishes..

VP Cheney I see using a fast action 9' 5 or 6 weight, knowing that he likes to fish near Jackson Hole. He seems like a graphite kind of guy...

VP Cheney shopped at the Anglers Lie in Arlington VA. We'd be in there shooting the breeze and SS agents would pop In, secure the place and in he'd come and shop. Yes he's a graphite guy. Was very very nice. Never had the shop cleared and closed while he was there. One of his daughters, Lynn I think, shopped there for his birthday and Christmas presents.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:47 • #11 
Master Guide
Or maybe Carter was a fisherman before but then wanted to improve himself.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:54 • #12 
Guide
Kalgrm wrote:
Or maybe Carter was a fisherman before but then wanted to improve himself.

That's what I got from that. And getting fine tackle was obviously a part of becoming a really good fly fisherman. I know my wife fell for that one a few times.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 21:02 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Boathouse Rat wrote:
If I remember correctly Jimmy Carter wasn't really much of a fly fisherman (if at all) until he left office. When asked what wanted to do with his time he said one of his wishes was to become a "really good fly fisherman".

So I doubt he had any experience with fine glass and bamboo before becoming President.

During President Carter's term, stretches of Spring Creek in Pennsylvania would get shut down by the Secret Service so he could get some fishing in.
Talk about drool worthy, that Oyster fly rod of his looks incredible.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 23:02 • #14 
Master Guide
Then Governor Carter would fish in the salt creeks around Saint Simons island , marches of glynn, for speckled trout. The local paper in Brunswick Ga. reported that while traveling in a boat down a narrow creek a shot gun totting sentinel standing on a pier ordered him to stop and turn around. The Governor reportedly told the sentinel he had a right to the waterway and that he was the Governor of Ga.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 23:18 • #15 
Master Guide
I don't know if Trump is an angler, but man, that Pflueger reel they named after him is pretty lame.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 23:26 • #16 
Master Guide
Carter's bamboo sure fits the image I had of it! That thing is beautiful.

As stressful as being President seems - I couldn't fault anyone from sneaking away every now and then to get some mental rest, relaxation, and enjoy the peace of being outdoors. No man enters that office and leaves looking as youthful, as exuberant, or healthy as the day they took it. Barrack Obama is young, as far as ex-Presidents go, and the job has aged him visibly - moreso than the simple passage of time. His predecessor was noteably younger looking at the beginning of his 8 year stint - and again, I think the constant stresses of the job and the huge responsibilities it holds just hacks years off their lives. For 4 to 8 years, you are under immense scrutiny, every decision you make is going to be attacked, nothing you do is "right" in the eyes of all the people - and of course you have to see things, do things, and decide things that 99% of us will never be privy to, and because of the national security aspects - you can't simply vent to your friends and family, you can't blow off steam like the average Joe can. So I think its honestly a good thing for them to take time off - when the job allows - to have fun. They're human too - which we sometimes easily forget.

I think out of all of the current or former Presidents, alive or dead - I think I would've most liked to spend a day afield with President Eisenhower, with Carter coming up runner up, because I think both men would've been very pleasant company and both seemed to have a deep appreciation for the outdoors, and our outdoor sports.

Post 21 Jan 2017, 01:25 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Foolish rhetoric from a few here.

I won't tell you my political views and would appreciate the same in return.

Don't find killing President of either party humorous, especially with the political climate of the last decade.

Barry

Post 21 Jan 2017, 01:29 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
mmckenzie wrote:
I think out of all of the current or former Presidents, alive or dead - I think I would've most liked to spend a day afield with President Eisenhower, with Carter coming up runner up, because I think both men would've been very pleasant company and both seemed to have a deep appreciation for the outdoors, and our outdoor sports.

For meTeddy Roosevelt has that hands down!

Post 21 Jan 2017, 01:38 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Allowing rhetoric whether foolish or not is what makes the USA the USA. Otherwise, allowing freedoms to be silently taken away, including in the name of so called security, is no different than a government controlled country like Russia. Politics aside, anyone who enjoys the piscatoral pursuit would be fun to fish with. Kind of levels the playing field in a way.

I think Carter, Biden, GW Bush, and Reagan would be interesting. Teddy Roosevelt too.

Post 21 Jan 2017, 01:39 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
This is a fishing, not a political board.

Don't think forcing others listen to your political views is really what America is all about, although people thinking it's their right to force their views on everyone around them seems to be the way of some Americans.

Barry

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 21 Jan 2017, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Jan 2017, 01:42 • #21 
Master Guide
ARReflections wrote:
Allowing rhetoric whether foolish or not is what makes the USA the USA. Otherwise, allowing freedoms to be silently taken away, including in the name of so called security, is no different than a government controlled country like Russia. Politics aside, anyone who enjoys the piscatoral pursuit would be fun to fish with. Kind of levels the playing field in a way.

I think Carter, Biden, GW Bush, and Reagan would be interesting. Teddy Roosevelt too.

I agree with this... I'm not ignorant... I know I'm on a fishing forum... a fly fishing forum... I know where 95% of you probably sway... but I'd fish with all of you as long as we keep the subject on fishing and fiberglass

Post 21 Jan 2017, 03:46 • #22 
Guide
I think I'd have a fun day streamside with this gent. From the look of things I might outfish him too.

Post 21 Jan 2017, 04:26 • #23 
Master Guide
Newfy - for some reason I totally blanked and forgot Teddy. He'd be a hoot to have shared a day afield with, for sure. Certainly an accomplished outdoorsman.

And I'd second Barry's comment - I cringed at the mention, even in jest, of the demise of the president. I'll say I wasn't the biggest fan of a few of our recent executives, but wouldn't even joke about killing them - too much respect for the office, if not the office holder. I'd hoped that this wouldn't devolve - and that we could look upon those who have held the office before that shared a common interest with us - that being fishing, specifically fly fishing. I'd venture to say that we here are a diverse group, politically speaking if not otherwise - but we all share similar passion. I would just as happily fish with the most far out from either end of the spectrum, provided politics was off the table for discussion, because it's a sign that we could always find some common ground.

So lets nudge the thread back to it's light hearted direction please, and avoid jokes about dead presidents. I don't want a visit from guys in dark suits with bad haircuts, and I'm sure none of you folk want that either.

Post 21 Jan 2017, 06:13 • #24 
Global Moderator
Thanks self-moderators. None of us "staff" can be there every minute, and I actually worked a long, long day yesterday.

I have lightly edited in most cases, and deleted only a post or two that seemed over the line. If the joke was one I thought the Presidents themselves would laugh at while the secret service agents kept a stiff upper lip, I left it.

There was some pretty good streamside humor for a smaller audience, but once a few members perceive a crack as a political comment, "we don't do politics." prevails.

Post 21 Jan 2017, 08:48 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Boathouse Rat wrote:

I wrote President Carter after he left office when the story of the Leonard rod(s) being stolen was in the news. As a Leonard fan, his pain was mine.

He replied to my letter which contained discussions of fly fishing in PA so I know he was using bamboo as President.

Did we all forget about President Herbert Hoover who wrote "Fishing For Fun and To Wash Your Soul".

Last edited by Bamboozle on 21 Jan 2017, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply