It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:30

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Jan 2017, 12:27 • #51 
Master Guide
I know when Teddy lived hence my comment the rod looks out of place. At a glance it looks like a modern carbon rod with modern large arbor reel. No doubt its darkly flamed cane or wood. It just does not look like it in the grainy black and white photo.

Post 23 Jan 2017, 12:30 • #52 
Master Guide
That video provided some neat back story to the previous photo with Ike and Nix. Thanks for that.

Post 23 Jan 2017, 12:32 • #53 
Guide
mmckenzie wrote:
I know when Teddy lived hence my comment the rod looks out of place. At a glance it looks like a modern carbon rod with modern large arbor reel. No doubt its darkly flamed cane or wood. It just does not look like it in the grainy black and white photo.

Agree with you. Looks like a bit of creative blending went into that image - including the size of the fish ;)

Post 24 Jan 2017, 19:33 • #54 
I don't believe President Trump fishes at all, but his son, Don, Jr. is an avid and knowledgeable fly fisherman who wrote the introduction to a book on nymph fishing techniques (sorry, title and author escape me). I do believe he is a cane man, but has been spotted with glass tramping around the West Branch of the Delaware from time to time.

Post 24 Jan 2017, 21:52 • #55 
Master Guide
eorlando wrote:
I don't believe President Trump fishes at all, but his son, Don, Jr. is an avid and knowledgeable fly fisherman who wrote the introduction to a book on nymph fishing techniques (sorry, title and author escape me). I do believe he is a cane man, but has been spotted with glass tramping around the West Branch of the Delaware from time to time.

He's a hunter too. Much more of an outdoors guy than pops.

Post 24 Jan 2017, 23:04 • #56 
Guide
Following image taken at the Tree River BC

Post 31 Jan 2017, 10:22 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
Here is another President that fly fished. Chester A. Arthur. In 1883 he was the very first Chief Executive to have ever fished the Yellowstone National Park. He was said to fish with a Leonard cane rod and used a Joes Hopper patterns to lure the native Cutthroats. See "Cutthroats and Campfire Tails" by John H. Monnett published in 1988 by Pruett Publishing. President Arthur was the Vice President at the time under James Garfield. President Arthur became President upon the assassination of James Garfeild. President Arthur fished with George Bird Grinnell.

Post 31 Jan 2017, 12:29 • #58 
Guide
Both President George H.W. Bush (41) and George W. Bush (43) fly fished a good bit but obviously 41 doesn't anymore due to his age and health. 41 wrote the foreword to "A Passion for Tarpon" by Andy Mill regarding his own experience chasing tarpon on the fly. And they were well known for their place in Kennebunkport and chasing stripers- but IIRC the stories correctly they would be somewhat agnostic regarding gear vs. fly.

I went to Texas A&M (coincidentally my BA is in political science which had our classes at the Bush School of Government and Public Service) and grew up there too as my father was a professor- anyway, the Bush Presidential Library has a nice little pond on the grounds that is stocked and open for public fishing provided you catch & release and use barbless hooks. I was fly fishing there one day many years ago and President Bush was out for a walk (he and Mrs. Bush have an apartment in the library/museum) and stopped to inquire as to how the fishing was, what I was throwing (an olive wooly bugger), asked if I was using barbless hooks (I was), and pointed out a couple spots in the pond I should try and some advice on flies I could use. Very much a gentleman and a real highlight in my life. Sadly, this was long before cell phone cameras or the like were common so no pics and I didn't have a pen or paper for an autograph.

Post 31 Jan 2017, 15:01 • #59 
Master Guide
Teddy's vest looks a little modern

Post 31 Jan 2017, 16:27 • #60 
Master Guide
OKMike wrote:
Teddy's vest looks a little modern

Not only modern, but Lee Wulff invented the fishing vest. That was way past teddy's time.

The more I look at that picture the more it looks like someone photoshopped his head on.

Sorry for posting it. My bad.

Post 27 Feb 2018, 13:49 • #61 
Guide
If we are prepared to go international, I figure it is time to revive this thread to welcome President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa - "a lover of fast cars, vintage wine, trout fishing and game farming." according to the BBC.

He wrote the forward to the second edition of the African Fly Fishing Handbook, whose author Bill Hansford-Steele writes of him "He is a fine fly-fisher, and respected patron of our sport. He has contributed much to fly-fishing, enjoys it with an unbounded enthusiasm, and has brought many into the brotherhood of angling."

And this isn't new, here's a long video of him fishing from 1994. But those who would not wish to see him teaching a cross-dressing satirist to cast and fish the fly should look away now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FcrYlrLs6w

Post 27 Feb 2018, 14:45 • #62 
Master Guide
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/president ... fishermen/

Not a ton of details in the link, but one was about Nixon and Ike fishing together and Nixon hooking himself with the fly repeatedly.

Post 27 Feb 2018, 16:59 • #63 
This is a great thread :)

I would seldom be accused of making excuses for President Obama (or President Bush, etc. either) but I will attempt to at least this once.

I think his open loop is likely caused by trying to slow down for the camera - and likely at the photographer's request.
Or, in other words, "maybe I wouldn't do much better while getting my photo taken."

Of course he might also just not be that good at it because he probably hasn't had a lot of experience or training at it.

To me, the fact that he was trying it - is good enough :)

Thanks all,
Joe

Post 27 Feb 2018, 17:45 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
In his book Jimmy Carter said being the president gave him some real perks, such as inviting all the famous flyfishers he had wanted to meet and pick their brains, Lefty Kreh and Dave Whitlock among them, to the White House for a special dinner. He said he had always wanted to go to New Zealand for trout, but being a thrifty type, he just couldn't justify the cost to himself even though he could afford it. So he was immensely pleased when he received a request from New Zealand to come give a speech. With the NZ government footing the bill, he was on the way, rods, reels, and all.

Larry

Post 27 Feb 2018, 19:46 • #65 
Piscator
FDR fished for tarpon on the Texas coast out of Port Aransas, when the town was named Tarpon, Texas.
btw, our tarpon are back

Post 27 Feb 2018, 20:09 • #66 
Guide
I heard a story in NZ of when VP Cheney visited.

The guide had to meet him prior to the chosen day, apparently the secret service insisted on knowing the exact stretch of water they were going to fish. When he tried to explain that weather would be the final determination, the secret service still insisted on knowing. When asked why, they explained it would allow them to send scuba divers down the river in front of the VP in addition to helicopters and agents walking the banks/ridges etc.

Upon explanation by the guide of the impact this would have, the VP told them to forgo the security.

Post 27 Feb 2018, 23:04 • #67 
Piscator
Harry Truman stated he only fished H-I rods, a very democratic choice.

And what President Obama is doing in that photo is not a cast, it's a pile of line.

Post 28 Feb 2018, 02:36 • #68 
Master Guide
Calvin Coolidge essentially ran the United States from the shores of the Brule River in NW WI for nearly the entire summer of 1928. Apparently some people thought his heart wasn't really in the whole "President" thing and he seemed more interested in canoeing and fishing. Can't say I blame him, the stress level has to be unbelievable.

Post 28 Feb 2018, 14:30 • #69 
Guide
John Bradford made a rod for Jimmy Carter and I know it was a magnificent rod. John was one of the best.

Post 06 Mar 2018, 19:24 • #70 
Glass Fanatic
The guy who got Presdient Carter into fly fishing and hunting was a man named Mr Jack Crockford. Mr Crockford had been a "Hump" pilot in the Army Air Force during WW2 in the China-Burma-India theater. Following his discharge after the war, he returned to his native Michigan and attended college focusing on Wildlife Management, graduating in the early 50s.

After college, he was hired by the Stage of Georgia Fish and Game department where he spent the rest of his professional life, eventually becoming the Director of Fish and Game in Georgia. HIs most notable achievement was the successful reintroduction of whitetail deer and turkeys in the state. They had been almost completely poached out and eliminated during the depression and later years. After determining that the offshore islands in GA held some native deer and turkeys of pure GA genetics, he established a program and succeeded in the reintroduction of these two game animals in the state. The key to this success was Jack's invention of the tranquilizer dart to capture the deer without harming them, which is still in use today.

I got to know him because his son was a classmate of mine at the Air Force Academy. When Jimmy Carter became governor, Jack figured that the best way to get the support he sought was to get the governor involved in the outdoors and, in his book "Sharing Good Times", the former President points out Jack's influence on him.

Jack passed away shortly after I retired in 2011 and Jimmy Carter gave his eulogy, pointing out that despite growing up on a farm in rural Georgia his entire life, he had never seen a deer until he was 16. He pointed out that 300,000 Georgians bought deer hunting licenses last year thanks to Jack's lifetime efforts. A great man, to be sure.

Attached is a link to a picture of the President with Jack in the Oval Office in front of a magnificent .45 caliber flintlock Jack made for him. He always made these beautiful guns in pairs, and I have the twin to that one. President Carter took a lot of heat in his move to the White House because he insisted on carrying that fine firearm himself on the helicopter into DC (oh, the drama...). The additional pictures are of my twin rifle.

Maybe somebody can make them come up without the link. My inability to post nice pictures on this site is a great frustration to me and I have not found an acceptable replacement for PhotoBucket (a pox upon them).

https://ibb.co/bHRSdS

https://ibb.co/gevLyS

https://ibb.co/mdPusn

Last edited by paveglass on 06 Mar 2018, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Mar 2018, 19:33 • #71 
Master Guide
Paveglass,
Wow! Great history, and a beauty of a flintlock. Thank you for sharing. As for posting pictures, I personally recommend Postimage; very easy to use.
- Lunker

Post 06 Mar 2018, 19:36 • #72 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Lunker...I'm on it!

Post 06 Mar 2018, 19:49 • #73 
Master Guide
I enjoyed that read paveglass, thank you.

Post 06 Mar 2018, 19:53 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
me too PG

Post 07 Mar 2018, 07:48 • #75 
Glass Fanatic
Pave, a pleasure to read that. I have been blessed to know similar people of the greatest generation and/or, in a way, another great generation of fish and wildlife personnel inspired by people like that who studied and entered the profession as it developed in the late 1950s, and 1960s on into the 1970s, as f&w management became habitat management that helped earlier initiatives flourish.

Accounts like yours are a great way to know even more of such people. Thanks again.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply