It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:26

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jun 2019, 13:03 • #26 
Master Guide
I still have my System 7 rod and it is a real winner.

Post 25 Jun 2019, 13:32 • #27 
Guide
I have a System 5 and a System 8. I recently acquired the System 5 and have not had a chance to fish it much, but so far I really like it. I bought the System 8 a little over 20 years ago. When I lived in Florida, I used the 8 in the salt flats around Sarasota Bay and used a Scientific Anglers Wet Cell 9 weight level line on it and that combo would cast a mile. I caught lots of sea trout, redfish, snook and ladyfish with it and it was perfect for those. Now, I probably will never use it again as I probably will never get back to Florida. I may use it for bass in some of the lakes around here. About 20 years ago, when the Fiberglass and Bamboo forums were all one entity, I took the System 8 to the very first Bamboo Bash (or conclave) in Townsend, Tennessee and the System 8 was well received and a bunch of guys took turns casting it.
Joe

Post 26 Jun 2019, 01:06 • #28 
My first good fly rod was a new System 6. Caught my first steelhead on that rod and used it for several years for trout. I still have it, it's been rebuilt twice over the years, a bit ugly now but still casts and fishes well. It's a strong rod and handles larger water well. I'd love to get a System 5 but I have too many rods in that length and line size to justify it.

Post 26 Jun 2019, 08:44 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
The System rods were and are a benchmark in fiberglass fly rods. That doesn't mean they will be a favorite for everyone, for instance, as Magic indicated above., "fast" or what I think of has fast progressive. In the case of my System 5, I very slightly prefer its more supple progenitor, my Fisher 8' for 5. But all the System rods are consistent in type/action. They were perfected enough to be more than likeable for the length/line-weight and techniques of their time; thus, whatever minor dislikes any one user finds (whether in fittings or casting/fishability) tells that angler more exactly what refinements to seek in a slightly different rod, contemporary or "vintage." The previous owner mentioned above, for instance, preferred a different reel seat, whereas I like the one provided exactly as it is. (The owner of the modified rod could easily find and install a standard seat if preferred.) Or I could easily change the System 5 grip to my preferred shape, but the factory version is quite suitable for me, so I haven't bothered.

As for the reel seat, much as I like Rodon hardware with a cork insert, I like the factory seat (a standard component of the time, still easy to find) just as well and have used that model on several other rods, so I wouldn't change a thing. You can easily customize a System rod to taste, but improving it would be difficult.

Post 26 Jun 2019, 13:34 • #30 
Guide
I never did get the System 6. I've got the System 5 combo, the System 7 combo, and a System 11 rod with a System 10 reel. But, I put the System 10 reel with 9wt line on a Fenwick FF98 and have a Fin Nor #3 A/R on the System 11.

Ever since Photobucket made people pay a ridiculous amount I've taken to Instagram which has the only pics I've got of any of my SA rigs in use.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BetzQWqAjH8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Post 27 Jun 2019, 07:19 • #31 
Piscator
photobucket tried to make
clearly whrlpool never paid, and I never did, either, but rode out the teapot tempest with our free accounts

Post 27 Jun 2019, 15:42 • #32 
Guide
Rod is in the USA at my brother's. Will be picking it up in September when I visit and may get to use it in Yellowstone. At any rate will have for our trout season that opens October 1, our current season where I live in NZ ends June 30.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 14:59 • #33 
Guide

Was back to the states in September and picked up the System 5. The rod is in very good shape. The spigot ferrule gap is 1/8" which I assume indicates the rod has seen use through the years. The lettering on the lower rod is worn also indicating use. My first time out, I found out the System 5 reel drag is virtually nonexistent. I don't know if that is the way they are or it is worn. I sold the reel and line and use one of my Medalist 1494 on it. In comparing the Epic 580, Seele 805 and Fenwick FF805, to me, the Fenwick and the System 5 are the fastest of the four. I find the Epic progressive but "tippy", The Seele the a smooth progressive, The Fenwick a little stiff as also The System 5. But you can really put your fly where it needs to be with the System 5. I primarily sight fish so most of my casts are less than 50 feet, most in the 30-40 foot range. Have had the rod out five times, skunked once and landed 32 rainbows and 3 browns on the other four trips. Fish ran 18 to 25 inches. At this point as far as which rods I like the best I would rate the Seele first, Epic, System 5 and the Fenwick. Although I first I did not like the Epic because of its tippiness but grew to like it, so the System 5 may move up in that regard as I use it more.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 15:41 • #34 
Piscator
Unfortunately, there are a couple of versions of the System 5 reel - one uses a plastic C-spring, the better uses the Marquis yoke with hairpin springs (below)
If you have this one, you can remove the springs, spread them a bit, set temper them for 15 minutes in your oven (200 C), and have a new reel.

Congratulations on finding a System 5.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 14:26 • #35 
Guide
Is that 200 C (392F) true for most any reel spring ?

Post 14 Jan 2020, 21:14 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
I love my system 5 rod. It is the bees knees. Have a hardy golden lightweight reel that pairs nicely with it.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 21:42 • #37 
Piscator
Rio Seco wrote:
Is that 200 C (392F) true for most any reel spring ?

absolutely - you just need to soak it - 15 min is plenty.
Spring creep rate is a function of the ratio of exposed temperature to the set temperature.
You want a spring set temperature not high enough to alter the metal heat treatment.

this is the temperature you don't want to reach on set temper, because any higher begins to lower the spring hardness (strength), and to get that hardness back you have to austenitize (white hot) and quench
Quote:
Mf temperature. The temperature at which the transformation of austenite to martensite will be complete (finished). Mf simply means martensite finish. In low carbon, low alloy steels the Mf temperature is about 250ºC.

Post 15 Jan 2020, 13:42 • #38 
Guide
Thanks, bulldog!

Post 16 Jan 2020, 08:53 • #39 
Piscator
you're welcome bro - can't count the number of reel springs I've set tempered in my kitchen oven - I normally set temper springs at 350F, which works for bronze as well as steel.

Post 17 Apr 2020, 17:36 • #40 
Guide
Since we are in lockdown here in NZ, had some time to take some photos of A4837.

Post 17 Apr 2020, 17:41 • #41 
Piscator
nice photos - thanks for posting

Post 17 Apr 2020, 20:32 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Was that Orvis reel seat standard at some point on the SA rods? An option maybe?

Post 18 Apr 2020, 12:37 • #43 
Guide
I like the Orvis reel seat on there. I’ve never been a fan of all metal reel seats and kinda want to replace the one on my System 7.

Post 18 Apr 2020, 12:50 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Well, guaranteed an Orvis reel seat was not original equipment on an SA rod--if that seat was unique to Orvis. Quite likely it was a stock model from a supplier. Possibly--possibly--one year or another SA did some with a wood insert seat from the same supplier, Rodon, maybe. It would have been from one of the component suppliers of the time, as was the aluminum anodized seat shown above. Best I recall, though, that was the one used, the rods weren't offered with "upgrade" cosmetic options, so that would have been an owner or shop modification.

Post 20 Jun 2020, 21:21 • #45 
Guide
Got to fish my System 5 with a 406 DT-6 this past week. The rod likes the 6wt. more than the 5wt. Rod loads a lot better, seemed a little stiff with the DT-5. No photos but took four rainbows between 20 and 22 inches on beadhead nymphs.

Post 20 Jun 2020, 21:54 • #46 
Master Guide
System 5 rod and reel I pulled together a couple of years ago. It works well with a mint green SA Heritage Ultra line.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply