It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:59

New Topic Add Reply
lost and found
Post 01 May 2008, 16:04 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
friday a week ago i fished a local river in so ca. this river in the los angeles area flows into a reservoir. every spring we get a run of nice bows into the river from the reservoir. this run is short lived and has to be timed right. i got lucky. i went to the mouth of the river where it flows in and there is a long willow lined channel where the fast water flows in and suddenly slows. i had my brodin net with me. i usually secure it with a ring to my vest but i had misplaced the ring so i was unhooking it when i needed to net a fish. i netted a fish and released him i looked down and the net was gone. not floating anywhere i could see it. i wrote it off but was kind of bumed. i continued to fish and was rewardd with a total of at least 12 nice bows. jumpers that made my 3" avon scream and put a serious bend in my steffen. the bite shut off and i tried to look into the water to find my net. nowhere to be seen. i left. today i went back to the same spot. not a fish to be had. i was casting downstream with a wooley bugger. i was about knee deep. i looked to my right to study the brush overhanging the bank thinking maybe a fish was holding there. lo and behold my net was there in the crotch of a willow bush. it was full of leaves and moss. i waded over into chest deep water ( i was wet wading) and plucked it out of the bush. none the worse for wear. i'm am glad i did not order a new one. of course i had a cheapo digital cam in my vest pocket. its toast. wet toast.

lost and found
Post 01 May 2008, 20:58 • #2 
Administrator
Larry ... that is a pretty amazing story and I am surprised that no one else saw that net in the trees this past week. I've had my Brodin fall off my back twice (once in MT and once in GA) and spent the better part of an hour looking for it each time. Both times I've been successful in finding it. I have have it corded to my vest in the case that it falls off from the magnetic clasp.

Sorry to hear about the digital camera. It might be time to look at a few of the waterproof models, eh?

lost and found
Post 02 May 2008, 01:08 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
interestingly enough the digital cameral has dried out and is now working.

lost and found
Post 02 May 2008, 01:11 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
If you find my black Ranger stockman pocket knife, which I stuck in a stump by a beaver dam after cleaning a brook trout in 1977, please let me know. I don't use a net.

lost and found
Post 02 May 2008, 01:41 • #5 
Emeritus
Great story, with a happy ending. Larry- that's the first case- ever- I've heard of a digicam drying out OK. I've got a used saltwater cell phone, if anyone's interested. No returns.

As to "finds," I snagged a full bottle of Sci Ang fly floatant sailing by my feet last Fall ... anybody lose it? (Sorry, it's about half-empty now ... ).

lost and found
Post 02 May 2008, 02:05 • #6 
Emeritus
Good for you Larry. I lost a C & F flybox full of nymphs and emergers last year on the Arkansas. If I spot anyone fishing one of my nymphs I'll know it. No one ties uglier nymphs than me. Image

lost and found
Post 02 May 2008, 02:29 • #7 
Piscator
I've gone back for my Brodin net, though not quite that exciting.

A real surprise was one day I was missing the bottom 3 pcs of my telescoping wading staff. Managed to spot it hooked in cypress knee on the way back up.

lost and found
Post 02 May 2008, 02:36 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Anybody find my Brodin in Rock Creek outside of Missoula, MT? I was so intent on releasing a trout that I didn't see it float away! I think it was in 1985? Still makes me mad.

lost and found
Post 02 May 2008, 19:58 • #9 
Sport
That wouldn't be Lake Silverwood would it? ... or possibly Big Bear?
-Ray

lost and found
Post 03 May 2008, 01:29 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
no. san gabriel river. someone told me that about a billion years ago camloops were stocked in the reservoir. not sure how true that is. these fish are silver sided with almost black backs. i think they are coastal rainbow (same genes as steelhead) that were trapped when they built the reservoir. last summer they drew the reservoir down to almost empty for silt removal. i was concerned that no trout survived but amazingly enough they did. not in the numbers in previous years though. silverwood has a similar situation in one of the canyons that has a stream running into it. bigbear is a little different. i think they stock subcatchables and they grow to adult size in the lake and they have created a good fihsery there but no spawning runs. you don't have a river like the san gabriel running into it. my grandfather used to fish the san gabriel and back in those days (40s and 50s) it must have been awsome. now it gets fished to death and we have no DFG wardens around to protect it. if it was not for the spring run from the reservoir the lower river would be barren. now that the de-silting project is over i think the fish population in the lake will increase and we may have some good fishing in the future in the east fork and the lower middle fork if only for a short period each spring.

lost and found
Post 05 May 2008, 01:24 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
for reasons unknown (maybe genetics!) I am prone to losing stuff. That is why I always tether my landing net with a bungy cord. With a big trout, I can reach back, pull the magnet loose, and let it hang until needed. If I did not tether it, I would be making the net companies rich.

Have more fun!

New Topic Add Reply