It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:53

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Jan 2015, 22:46 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
I have the 8'6" 5/6 and the 8'6" 7/8. Love 'em both. On the 5/6 I use a 5 weight Ambush, but I think the Ambush lines are generally heavy .... On the 7/8 I use an 8 weight intermediate for throwing streamers ...

Post 05 Jan 2015, 22:47 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
standman wrote:
JOHN WALLACE wrote:
the lower rating was for a DT line and the higher rating was for the WF line.

Not always. As an example, Fenwick used to describe their rating: the lower rating was for a sinking line; while the higher rating was for a floating line.

I have a pic I saved from the auction site of Fenwick specs as shown on a rod. It seems a bit overspecified at first look, but makes much more sense than the current fad of overly stiff graphites resulting in lines that are heavier than the spec, to make the rod work..

I have cast 5wt lines with 9wt rods, and vice versa. Both of those work OK, can fish with them, but certainly not optimal. Given the widely varying weights of a nominal 5wt line, it's impossible to say what will work better, unless also specifying the line and its weight profile. I think Steffen's response to this is quite reasonable..

Post 06 Jan 2015, 23:20 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Last post kinda reminds me of one of my favorite segments on the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.
Steffen rates the rods for the first number on a 3/4 rod to be 3 for a DT and 4 for a WF. Something Mark told me while I was ordering my first rod from him. John Wallace is correct as it pertains to Steffen Brothers rods.

Post 07 Jan 2015, 05:22 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
The Steffen 5/6 blanks are 6wts in my opinion. I have fished most of them. 8ft through 8'6", 2 piece through 5 piece, and each one of them felt significantly better with a 6WF line. Even a heavy GPX 5WF didn't load the rods properly.

Post 07 Jan 2015, 06:05 • #30 
Guide
I like mine with the heavier rating, as well. Loads quicker at short ranges where most of my trout fishing takes place. I prefer DT for its more delicate presentation.

my dos pfennig

Post 07 Jan 2015, 08:41 • #31 
Emeritus
standman wrote:
JOHN WALLACE wrote:
the lower rating was for a DT line and the higher rating was for the WF line.

Not always. As an example, Fenwick used to describe their rating: the lower rating was for a sinking line; while the higher rating was for a floating line.

Sorry to disagree, but on my rods where it is specified, the higher number is for sinking and shooting heads. This is because you are generally shooting sinking lines instead of holding lots of line in the air, so you want the rod to load up fast.

It is true that traditionally rods that list two suggested line weights are for a DT and WF. But that is no more an inherent characteristic of the rod than with a single rating, merely a suggestion.

Rods don't have "weights", lines do. Rods have actions.

Nick

Edit: I hadn't seen Doug's photos when I responded, but they show exactly what I'm talking about on an early FF 85.

Post 07 Jan 2015, 11:12 • #32 
Master Guide
I don't disagree with you Nicodelbosque, but my statement has to do with a comment directly out of the Fenwick catalog.

I think, regarding Steffen, Mark's suggestion regarding line weight (and not Fenwick) would be the best starting point. Where one goes after that depends upon the individual and their uses. As for me and my 8' 3/4, I was prepared to strongly prefer the rod as a 4 weight, in either DT or WF. However, I was pleased to see that a 3DT was just as enjoyable and the 3WF was pretty close.

Post 07 Jan 2015, 15:15 • #33 
Emeritus
In any event, I hope to have a Steffen of my own one of these days...

Post 07 Jan 2015, 15:52 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
I mean, really, who give's a sh!t other than the person casting the rod? Intent only gets you so far. If what was "intended" for a particular rod doesn't work for you, well, try something else. Everyone has different preferences with regard to....well, anything.

Post 07 Jan 2015, 16:04 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
this sums it up- personal preference:
"If what was "intended" for a particular rod doesn't work for you, well, try something else. Everyone has different preferences with regard to....well, anything"

Amen.

Post 25 Dec 2021, 17:33 • #36 
Master Guide
Wow! I ran across this old thread started by me, and can’t believe it took over six years for me to get a Steffen rod.
I bought a Graywolf built 5/6 Steffen in August from a board member for my birthday. I only wish that I had done it earlier, it’s the nicest rod I own.

Post 26 Dec 2021, 14:08 • #37 
Guide
Will add my two cents...have a 8ft.4/5-3 and 8.5ft.5/6-2. Fish the 8ft. with a 4DT, mainly because I have four other 8ft.5wts, so wanted the Steffen as a 4wt. The 8.5ft. is fished with a 5DT. Am happy how both perform but have not tried either with the heavier line weight.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 08:46 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
The Steffens are progressive tapers with fairly fast tapers (fine tip/some reserve power in the butt) so this makes them versatile. The action doesn't so much change with an increase in load as just slow some. As you go heavier on the line the amount of reserve power gets used up so there's less room to force a cast.

If I thought I was going to be casting in breeze or longer range I would choose a rod where the lower rating matched the line I would want to use. Fishing at short to medium range and feeling mellow I might go for a rod where the higher rating matches my line of choice.

Ideally, line choice comes before rod choice.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 09:35 • #39 
Sport
arknymph wrote:
Wow! I ran across this old thread started by me, and can’t believe it took over six years for me to get a Steffen rod.
I bought a Graywolf built 5/6 Steffen in August from a board member for my birthday. I only wish that I had done it earlier, it’s the nicest rod I own.

If ever in the LR area and would like to cast a few more Steffen rods ( pandemic permitting ) send me a PM. I have 8034/3, 8045/2, 8056/2, 8656/2 as well as a staggered ferrule 8'2" rod ( weight to be determined since it still lacks a few coats but I believe it's a 5 wt ) .......

Post 04 Jan 2022, 18:36 • #40 
Master Guide
Thanks for the kind offer, I may take you up on it sometime, not knowing any other glass guys locally means not getting to try all these great rods.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply