It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:37

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Oct 2014, 17:23 • #26 
Piscator
I wasn't even trying to do that.
There are so many ways to use these lines. Down and across wet fly swings, high stick, drop the rod tip into the water.
When we're talking about wet flies, I hate to see somebody go out and buy a T200 and then not like it because it doesn't work for this like a T130 on a 6-wt. or BS100 on a 4-wt.

Post 28 Oct 2014, 17:26 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
I must have missed the "swinging wets" part. It sounded to me like the OP was actually talking about streamers when he talked about the line being good for streamers...

no doubt, on the wet fly thing though...hell, whenever I actually swing wets (rarely) I usually just go unweighted on either a floating line or intermediate shooting head and do well. Sounds like the OP has found a good line to suit his needs.

Post 28 Oct 2014, 17:29 • #28 
Piscator
I was going on the riffle water part, where I love using these lines.
and this
I hike down a flagstone shelf, roll-cast, swing, roll-cast swing over riffles and dolomite ruts, doing nothing else, and little bass impale themselves.
I caught 70 fish that way on a fall bite a few years ago.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 29 Oct 2014, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Oct 2014, 08:48 • #29 
Piscator
another killer way to fish these lines - I call it trolling or combing the seams
Stand at the top of a chute and cast the line straight down into the max current.
Keeping the line snug, painfully slow retrieve - maybe not even retrieve - and use the rod tip to guide the line into different current seams - as you move the tip to the side, a belly slowly moves down the line and pulls the fly into the new seam.
I've caught more than a dozen endemic bass standing in one spot that way.

Post 29 Oct 2014, 09:59 • #30 
Master Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
I must have missed the "swinging wets" part. It sounded to me like the OP was actually talking about streamers when he talked about the line being good for streamers...

Clarkman, actually I intend to fish with these on my 5 wt using the BS-100 as well. Clockwise from the top; Wooly B (6), unweighted Slump Buster (8), Garthside soft hackle (4)

I'm confident that on my particular waters this line is going to perform. I perhaps may not, but I'm willing to take my chances ;) I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

jhuskey wrote:
Ron, does the BS-100 have a slower sink rate and therefore lighter line weight than the T-130?

Huskey, according the specs on Jim Teeny's site the BS-100 has a sink rate of 3.75" per second and the T-130 is 4.00" per second. A negligible difference.

Joe

Post 29 Oct 2014, 10:32 • #31 
Piscator
the spec is also misleading, and really applies only to stillwater.
Your line tension and the buoyancy (from turbulence) of the current can prevent it from sinking at all, or restrict it to a slower, more controllable sink rate

T200 is dense enough to break past the buoyancy (with low-enough turbulence) and sink faster than you may want it to
conversely, if the current is very strong and you need to get down, it may be just right
it's just not your little creek sinking line
But BS100 shines in a little creek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number

Post 29 Oct 2014, 11:11 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
can't go wrong with that little slumpbuster...

Post 29 Oct 2014, 14:01 • #33 
Guide
Bulldog, why the splice over a nail knot? I never fish a sinking line of any kind, why I'm not sure. I need to change my ways & put my fly in front of more fish.

Post 29 Oct 2014, 16:56 • #34 
Piscator
I use a double nail knot on my TS250 (and slime line) in the salt, because the drying salt crust will pull this joint apart.
But nothing slides over the rocks better, and I've had zap splices in my freshwater Teeny lines last me 4-5 years, just keeping up with tippet additions (splicing in a piece of 3x and/or 1x as needed).
I do a lot of bottom bouncing with this rig and I bet in 30 years of fishing them I've had 2 leaders pull out. I've stuck and broken off flies at the first knot, but this rig works (tailwater stripers at 450 cfs).

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 30 Oct 2014, 08:20, edited 2 times in total.

Post 29 Oct 2014, 17:29 • #35 
Guide
I can certainly understand the splice sliding over & between rocks & such, thank you for all the info.

Post 29 Oct 2014, 21:33 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
I could have used the sinking lines today fishing unweighted wooly buggers. It took forever for the fly to sink deep enough to where the fish were. That being said, are unweighted fly better to use with sink lines or bead head/ chain eyes. Cats's whiskers seems like it would be too heavy given eyes and water logged Marabou and arctic fox for the bs100.

Post 29 Oct 2014, 21:55 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Everyone is going to have their preferences on what works for them, for me? I like my streamers weighted with nothing more than bead chain eyes, just enough to get them riding hook up so that they don't hang up as much. That said, the bead chain eyes themselves can grab onto some rocky areas. It really depends on ones preferences with how they like to fish and the waters where they're fishing....really though, it's a personal preference thing. IMO

Post 30 Oct 2014, 08:00 • #38 
Piscator
A Teeny BS100 sinks faster than a cats whisker and will bring the fly along behind it.
It makes a beautifully neutral rig both for casting and stripping, and will bottom bounce just fine (this happens to be a T130, but no significant difference between the two lines other than head length).

Post 31 Oct 2014, 08:03 • #39 
Master Guide
More field research yesterday... I fished the unweighted streamer in the bottom of this photo (garthside soft hackle)

...and caught this among many others swinging and stripping through riffles as well as tail outs.

Post 31 Oct 2014, 08:16 • #40 
Piscator
there are several spots in my tailwater where creeping streamer on the bottom, fished the same way I would target white bass harems, will bring to hand some honking rainbows. Like white bass, they will often follow the fly and pick it up when it's at rest on the bottom.

Post 31 Oct 2014, 15:06 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
This is the first I've seen of this... I love swinging wet flies and soft hackles on my 4wt, but had never considered a sinking line like this. I'm curious what other applications this line would have. Do you guys use it for nymphing, for streamers? Or mainly just for wets?

Post 31 Oct 2014, 16:29 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
I would consider the cats whisker a streamer.

Post 31 Oct 2014, 16:36 • #43 
Piscator
Technically a lure, but yes, my go to streamer. Parked in the truck right now, bit will post more later

Post 31 Oct 2014, 21:00 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Lure? Curious, is it the chain eyes being metal? If so, as an extension of that thought would a bead nymph count as a lure, technically.

To not derail the topic too much, do you use a nymph with the bs100? edit: nevermind, just saw the photo with the trout with nymph.

Post 31 Oct 2014, 22:27 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
ARReflections wrote:
Lure? Curious...

I don't know if bulldog meant it this way or not, but I've read before that in parts of the UK they refer to streamers as lures, obviously very different than what we consider to be a lure. Could be what he meant?

Post 31 Oct 2014, 23:32 • #46 
Piscator
again, technically, a woolly bugger is classified as a lure.

I'm not real big on flies, I'm more on technique. Fly fishing 40 years, I've pared my fly choices down to a handful.
Coldwater, I'll usually fish first with a floating line, sometimes dead drifting with an indicator, but more often dead drift and swing without an indicator.
I know every BWO and caddish hatch in 8 miles of my tailwater, and go out of my way to fish them.

In warmwater, I fish 3 flies always with a Teeny line.
I always bring a floating line and sliders, but most often don't use this
This particular morning we could see big bass moving out of a huge deep hole to feed on a shelf, so switched to floating line with slider to move down and ambush them - usually here we're on the shelf and fishing into the hole with a Teeny line, counting down before we strip.

Always in coldwater, I also bring a Teeny line. There are some places I'll rig it first. I use the same 3 flies as warmwater, and also add soft hackle wet flies.
In wide spots with chert bottom in the tailwater, I'll use my creeping bottom bounce with a whistler or cats whisker - places I'm more apt to drag up a leaf rather than hang a rock.

A common technique with the Teeny to get down close is cast up and high stick, dead drifting to get down, then swing. The target water is the swing, but the high stick can still take fish on the dead drift. I've caught some honking carp with a cats whisker on the dead drift, rainbows and bass as well.
But the choice for the Teeny in coldwater is across, drift to get down and swing, or just down and across swings.

This big hole after the tailout at Rockytop is a great place to fish streamers straight down the current - shoot for those rocks on the far bank - what you don't see is a creek mouth on the right - if I fish this hole, I will rig the Teeny I brought along (otherwise, I'll make the bend to the next chute and BWO hatch)
tailwater piggie as I described just above
here's my buddy Ewell with another piggie at the tailout of the same hole (left of the photo above)

BTW, sight-fishing in clear water on flagstone bottom, you really see the result of bottom bouncing - the fly makes a mud ball along the bottom. i've seen big bass chasing the fly and pounding the side of their head on the bottom, strike after strike on the mudball.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 03 Nov 2014, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Nov 2014, 09:11 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Joe,did you do all your fishing downstream with the bs 100 and how long of a leeder did you use......aurelio

Post 01 Nov 2014, 09:20 • #48 
Master Guide
Aurelio,

I did about 75% of my fishing quartering down stream. The other 25% ish was casting up and across, dead drifting then swinging.

The leader is the Teeny 4' 8lb sinking leader with about 18" of 2x mono for the larger flies then I spliced another foot or so of 4x on for the smaller flies.

Post 01 Nov 2014, 09:27 • #49 
Piscator
that's what you do

when you handle one of these lines, what will amaze you is just how freaking teeny it is. The line is thinner than your leader butt.
It casts like a dream. It rollcasts like a dream. It shoots distance like a dream. It catches fish like a dream.
Teeny 4' tapered leaders plus fluoro tippet.

Post 01 Nov 2014, 11:27 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
This is great and very informative 95% of my fishing is done upstream on small shallow creeks and use only floating lines but on bigger water like the conejos I do run into deep long pools but don't want to carry an extra reel or spool with a sink tip line.Years ago I seen some full sink leaders and was wondering if any of you guys tried them with any success .....thanks aurelio

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply