It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Dec 2013, 21:49 • #1 
I have this Walton Powell Fly rod model DF73 5-6-7wt. I was looking to get some more info on this rod as I am looking to sell it. Heard the model that I have is very valuable and rare. Thanks.

Nick

Post 29 Dec 2013, 22:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Nick, best to take pictures and post them. Include description of length, number of sections, etc. Sounds like an interesting rod.

Post 30 Dec 2013, 01:22 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
you want to get in touch with the expert, Rich Morrison
http://www.allexperts.com/ep/3209-12028. .. rrison.htm

Post 30 Dec 2013, 01:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
http://www.classicpowellrod.com/

his website

Post 04 Jan 2014, 22:09 • #5 
Administrator
Nick, Welcome to the Forum!

I have a DF73 Powell. It is a nice, two piece rod with a stainless steel ferrule, ala Garcia Conolon (they made the blank for Powell). The feel is different than the typical Conolon. My recollection is a comfortable casting rod, but it has been quite a while since I used it. Try it with a 5 weight and 6 weight line - the one you like the best is the correct line.

Value? probably not more than $200. I paid less for mine. Similar Powells have been offered on eBay , but often the seller wanted $300+. At that price they sat there. Your rod will return the most value if you take it to the water and fish it. Really. For the money you will get, it will be hard to buy a rod that casts as well. Keep the ferrule clean and it should last a long time.

Tom

Post 10 Jan 2014, 05:52 • #6 
Master Guide
jgestar wrote:
Nick, Welcome to the Forum!

I have a DF73 Powell. It is a nice, two piece rod with a stainless steel ferrule, ala Garcia Conolon (they made the blank for Powell). The feel is different than the typical Conolon. My recollection is a comfortable casting rod, but it has been quite a while since I used it. Try it with a 5 weight and 6 weight line - the one you like the best is the correct line.

Value? probably not more than $200. I paid less for mine. Similar Powells have been offered on eBay , but often the seller wanted $300+. At that price they sat there. Your rod will return the most value if you take it to the water and fish it. Really. For the money you will get, it will be hard to buy a rod that casts as well. Keep the ferrule clean and it should last a long time.

Tom

I'm surprised at your pricing, but you would know better than I. That is quite a line range in glass. The significance of the pre-corporate Powell's I believe has faded from many minds.

Post 27 Jan 2014, 11:23 • #7 
Inactive
I could not agree more about the loss of knowledge of the pre-corporate Powell. That is one of my big motivators in maintaining the website Rockthief posted a link to. I think you may have sold this rod on ebay? The one that sold recently on eBay was not a Conolon blank. 99% or Walt's glass rods were. But I have seen a few over the years that are on Phillipson blanks. If you still have this rod it would be great to see some photos. Send me a PM and I'll pass along my email address if you need it - it is also on my website.
Rich

Post 05 Feb 2014, 21:01 • #8 
Master Guide
I am a huge Phillipson fan. And was not aware that he supplied Powell with any blanks. That's exciting news!

Post 06 Feb 2014, 00:26 • #9 
Inactive
Yes - Walt and Bill greatly admired each others work. I wish I knew what sort of numbers we were talking about. I've seen a total of two of Walt's rods on the Phillipspn blanks. I bought this one here on this forum. It's the only Walton glass I've ever seen with a glass spigot ferrule. It's a wonderful rod.

Post 06 Feb 2014, 07:43 • #10 
Administrator
Rich, Do you have a link for that eBay auction? I can only find a DF70 with a Conolon blank and steel ferrule (sold Jan 9) in the completed auctions.

Tom

Post 06 Feb 2014, 18:10 • #11 
Master Guide
That must ABSOLUTELY be a wonderful rod. I am jealous. Well, a little - mostly I am very happy for you. It is the hands of someone who can truly appreciate this collaboration of two unquestionable [align=]master[/align] rod builders of the 20th century.

Sincerely,
cy

Post 06 Feb 2014, 19:52 • #12 
Inactive
Tom that is the one. That is a painted Phillipson blank. It's the same as the rod I have with the exception of the ferrule and mine is 7.5'. The label is silver vs white and the color is sort of an adobe red.

Post 06 Feb 2014, 21:12 • #13 
Master Guide
My early Orvis Fullflex (7'6") rolled by Phillipson to Orvis specifications is just as good as the 2 pre-Johnson and 2 Johnson era (a 400 & an 800) Phillipson glass rods I have. It is slightly deeper flex - a bit more of a boo feel, I love all 5 as much as I love my Phillipson cane, Kosmic, my Leonard Catskill, Granger cane and my Winston, Sage, Scott, Powell, Leonard (Texas era) and 2 Hal Bacon graph rods - one which was built on a Winston blank. My favorite 15 rods of the 29 I own.

And the remainder are no slouches: including an original Wright and McGill Trailmaster glass, a Dave Lewis glass, a Cortland 444LTD cane, 2 Edwards cane, Thomas and Thomas cane, Payne graphite, and Leonard Golden Shadow graphite. Those are my 2nd favorites of the lot.

The remaining rods are the close 3rd, including a Red Wing cane, Redington graph, a Gen II S-Curve Wright and McGill graph composite, Hardy Greys graph, and Orvis graph.

Last edited by cyangler on 07 Feb 2014, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Feb 2014, 21:24 • #14 
Administrator
The eBay photos are rather poor. The rod blank does appear to be painted, which I've not seen for a Conolon blank. To me, that sure looks like a shiny metal spigot ferrule. Also, that hook keeper was a cool little feature that I've only seen on Garcia Conolons, or rods sourced from their shop.

Tom

Post 07 Feb 2014, 01:59 • #15 
Inactive
Conolon is where most of Walt's components came from ... as you would expect. I don't know exactly when or how many Phillipson blanks he built. I'm sure the steel spigot ferrules were all over the shop as were the hook keepers. It stands to reason that he would build the blank with what was at hand. Jim at Raptor Rod seemed to think my Phillipson with the glass ferrule was probably a bit of an experiment to see if he liked it. The rod on eBay matches mine in cosmetics and finishing exactly ... including the hook keeper ... with the exception of the ferrule. And the one on eBay and mine are the only Walton glass I've seen with the silver decal vs the white. They decals were also placed on the rods in a slightly different location (vs the Conolon rods) on both of these rods.

Post 07 Feb 2014, 07:24 • #16 
Administrator
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Phillipson and Conolon sold their blanks with ferrules installed. In my opinion, a far more likely occurrence is Conolon sold Powell some painted blanks. They did some of the best paint work at the time. And no, Powell would not have had steel ferrule spigots lying around and ready to install in Phillipson blanks. Glass ferrule stock, sure. Not stainless steel.

What criteria are you using to determine your blanks were made by Phillipson?

Tom

Post 07 Feb 2014, 08:41 • #17 
Master Guide
Bill's own rods found in his catalogs do not always match the description. There are Eponites marked Eponite and some not marked from the same 50's era - maybe same year. Some rods have an extra number or letter, perhaps a quirk left from his Granger Victory days - and this letter or number may have a meaning only known to Bill. There is even more variability found in his OEM rods.

My Orvis Fullflex, well documented to have been built on a Phillipson blank to Orvis specs, uses a glass over glass spigot ferrule - possibly installed by Orvis or, possibly, Bill. I think that the detective work required to unravel this Winston ferrule anomaly will catch many Red Herring before a Rainbow leaps high across the sky and we maybe find the pot of gold where it ends.

Post 07 Feb 2014, 10:31 • #18 
Administrator
Bill Phillipson was a master with his catalog descriptions. He recycled older technology into his lower grade rods, yet the catalog described everything as new. The best example is the late 60s, metal ferrule, Master rods. Those blanks were first used in the top of the line Royal rods sold from 1964-1968.

Your Orvis Fullflex has a glass sleeve ferrule installed at the Phillipson factory (if your rod has a glass spigot, then someone did evil things to it - a photo would help). The solid glass spigot ferrule patent was held by Jon Tarantino and used by Fisher. The tip over butt ferrule was patented by Fenwick. Phillipson, Berkley, and Browning used sleeve ferrules to get around those patents. Garcia Conolon held a patent for tubular metal spigots, and used them until the mid/late 70s.

Tom

Post 07 Feb 2014, 15:17 • #19 
Master Guide
You are correct. The ferrule is a glass sleeve ferrule not a spigot. I used a mixed description in saying "a glass over glass spigot ferrule". It is one of the finest casting tools I own.

Thanks for bringing that forward. I would not wish for anyone to be confused by my incorrect wording.

Post 09 Feb 2014, 18:21 • #20 
Inactive
One of the biggest factors that leads me to believe it is not a Conolon (my rod that is) is how it casts. I own/have owend numerous Conolon blank Walton Powell glass rods and this one is different. I also put the rod in the hands of two guys out in CA who know Walt's rods better than just about anyone and they both felt it was Phillipson blank. The one on eBay looked very much the same cosmetically with the exception of the ferrule. Based on what I knew of Walt and how he ran the shop I could see him putting a steel ferrule on it, to include pulling it off another rod, just to see how it cast. And then selling it regardless of the results. Or just as you say Tom it could be a painted Conolon blank. The photos were indeed poor. Walt was so bad about documentation I will probably never be sure. I do love the one that I have.

Post 21 Mar 2021, 10:16 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
My google search lead me here.. but the 'no photos in this post' needed to be improved upon.
Here is one example I have :

Post 21 Mar 2021, 10:51 • #22 
Piscator
Except Brian, you left out the signature Powell reel seat.

Post 27 Mar 2021, 18:33 • #23 
Glass Fanatic

Both these rods will be seeing plenty of action this year. More to come.

This gold tube definitely has a sticker at the top that says DF76.
A keen eye will catch every detail - bulldog taught us all that.
One sock is MIA at this time.

New Topic Add Reply