It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:04

Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Sep 2019, 21:52 • #901 
Sport
Just another old guy from Michigan here so you’ve no doubt heard about the places I fish....(but probably not all of them.)
I do get out west to Spokane a couple times a year and some attention is given to that area and northern Idaho.

Post 30 Oct 2019, 17:51 • #902 
Sport
I'm in the troutless state of IL, near Chicago. Head to Michigan and Wisconsin Driftless primarily for trout. Just getting into the smallies, pike, and carp that are close to home.

Post 31 Oct 2019, 07:37 • #903 
Sport
Isabela, Puerto Rico

I fish on the local shores and Guajataca lake.

Post 24 Nov 2019, 22:20 • #904 
Sport
Madison, WI area. There's a trout stream 5 minutes from my office.

Post 29 Nov 2019, 05:57 • #905 
I'm from S.E.Pa. and have fished for about 5 decades or so here there and every where. I was fortunate that my work took me to places that had fish who enjoyed my flys.
My first adventure with a fly rod was on the O.P. in Wash. state. They called them sea runs, latter known as steelhead.
My latest quest is fooling carp to take my fly when it doesn't have any scent or anything else to stir the desire to eat.
I've been about 50 % successful with them so far.
I have lit the fly fishing fire in my Sons soul so when i'm too old to chuck flys, i can watch him.

Post 14 Dec 2019, 16:18 • #906 
Guide
I grew up and lived in eastern Pennsylvania until my retirement from PA Bureau of State Parks. Had the opportunity to fish many of the good wild brown and blue line brook trout streams in the state, although there are many I did not get to. My home stream was the Bushkill near Easton where I grew up. Upon retirement the opportunity to move to New Zealand arose. At the time New Zealand seemed far away(it is) but I thought my only way to fish in New Zealand would be to move there. So in 2010 we took a chance and made a big move here. Now live in Hawkes Bay on the east coast of the North Island. The fishing is as advertised. Although I don't live in an area known for its trout fishing, by most standards it would still be very good. Mostly sight fish for primarily rainbows although I go out of my way to fish for browns. The trout season is nine months long where I live and I take full advantage of it. Fish on average 120-140 days a season. If anyone finds themselves heading to NZ, I would be happy to take you out on some of my local streams.

Post 14 Dec 2019, 23:17 • #907 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like you've found a wonderful place to settle. Fishing there was one of the dreams of my youth. Maybe someday!

Post 22 Dec 2019, 08:32 • #908 
Sport
I was raised in rural northwest Ohio where there was plenty of corn and soybeans but little fishing water other than a small muddy creek and several local limestone quarries. There were 49 people in my high school graduating class of which only 3 or 4 boys were interested in fishing. The high point of my local fishing adventures were occasional trips to my Grandfather’s Summer cottage on Indian Lake 35 miles away. I developed a burning desire to fish any time I could reach water by bicycle or later by borrowed car. During High School, I went on several long, all boys Canadian canoe trips sponsored by the Toledo, Ohio YMCA. In the Canadian wilds, I found out what real fishing could be like. I spent the Summer of 1956 outside ********* Montana in a log cabin next to a tributary of the Yellowstone River. I never saw another fisherman and caught wild trout hand over fist. It was so easy I never could back into trout fishing at other times in my life.

When I attended The University of Notre Dame I made it a point to fish the two lakes located on the campus. There I experimented with fishing for Carp with floating baits made from dining hall bread. When hooked on the surface those carp jumped as much as any Smallmouth Bass. After graduating from college, I spent four years in the Army, which included a 1968 tour of duty in Vietnam with the First Infantry Division. Returning to the States, I was assigned to the staff at the United States Military Academy at West Point where I also married my first wife (now deceased). The fishing on that Military Reserve was spectacular. Folks there were busy chasing undersized hatchery trout while I had many lakes to myself that were teeming with bass and enormous panfish. Upon leaving the Army I went to work for the Toledo YMCA as the director of their boy’s summer camp which was located on a small natural lake in southern Michigan. Later I worked for Toledo Public Schools as their Resident Outdoor Education Director for nearly 30 years. Been retired for 20 years. I spend a great deal of time researching early fishing tackle and methods as well as using, enjoying and experimenting with vintage tackle. My wife and I have a Summer cottage on a small Michigan lake where I am free to try out old tackle and attempt to complete the perpetual “honey-do” list.

Post 22 Dec 2019, 08:58 • #909 
Glass Fanatic
Your is a great story. Thank you for service, especially hard service in Vietnam.

Post 22 Dec 2019, 09:00 • #910 
Piscator
Bill is a fun and lucid contributor on ORCA

Post 05 Jan 2020, 17:11 • #911 
Grew up in Pa, lived in Colorado for 30 years, retired and living in WV for the past several years. Moving back to Co as soon as we sell in Wv.
I fish any place there is enough water to hold a fish. We winter in Vero Beach Fl and I spen a LOT of time in the kayak on the Indian River Lagoon chasing specks, reds and snook.

Post 06 Jan 2020, 11:17 • #912 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome BooBoo. A sister lives in Vero so I may try to pick your brain sometime. And where in CO? Seem to have many members there.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 12:57 • #913 
Guide
Living in Killeen Texas now just outside of Ft. Hood. Recently moved here from Colorado Springs Co where trout were the primary target after I retired from the army. I have fished all over the country during my time in the service. Grew up fishing in Virginia for smallies, and trout from my home in Fredericksburg. I miss the Rappahannock and Rapidan rivers but suburban sprawl has about killed them. I fish for all kinds of warm water stuff now from white bass to channel cats and everything in-between. I always try to fish for whatever is native or unique to a given area.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 12:58 • #914 
Piscator
welcome, friend

Post 11 Jan 2020, 13:43 • #915 
Guide
I’m from Canada but caught the fishing bug at Virginia Beach on family vacation as a kid in the 60’s.
The motel owners son took me to the beach and introduced me to drowning blood worms with a bait casting rod.
As l recall we caught bluefish?
Best vacations of my life. Sand ,ocean, fishing, Coca-Cola, potato chips, swimming pool and Gilligans Island.
Now l live in NZ and will likely retire here and fish for trout.
I am forever great full to Jack for introducing me to this great life long game.
Thanks Jack

Post 28 Jan 2020, 09:23 • #916 
Rejoined this month.1/20.. RichieFish is the monnicker. 99.99 percent fly fisherman. I live in Sotheastern NH. Fish fresh water mostly.
5'3" Fenwick for the small streams, 7'6" Claudio for larger water. I haven't got a "big" glass yet, but I have a passable Orvis for salt. I am a geezer and am limited a bit now. Got to fish a bit with the late Jack Cooper (Cooper Bug).He mentored me quite a bit a long time ago. I never saw him touch anything but a flyrod.
That's about it for now.

Post 30 Jan 2020, 09:31 • #917 
Guide
SE New Hampshire; anywhere around Milford? My dad grew up there. Used to fish north of there towards Bristol when we visited relatives in the area when I was kid.

Post 02 Feb 2020, 14:27 • #918 
Just north of the Mass border..Newton,NH.
Had a summer place on Lake Ossipee for about 50 years. Great fishing in and around that area.Landlocked salmon, Lakers, bass, trout, and so on. Am a tad familiar with areas near Milford...but very limited. I'm easily accessible to some great striper fishing. Best on the fly is 42", 31.5 lb. It tails off dramatically after that buster, though.

Post 04 Feb 2020, 17:45 • #919 
RichieFish here,
I might have screwed up my reply. You also mentioned Bristol. Well, a bit north of there in the Plymouth, Warren, and Rumney back country I have had many great outings on the Baker , Stinson, and Pemigewasset (sp).
I have a retirement job a few days a week driving cars for dealers and am in the Milford area many times per month. There are some interesting looking spots all the way towards Keene and on up to rte 9.

Post 07 Mar 2020, 21:34 • #920 
the interior of BC , Kamloops to be specific, I do all my fishing within 2 hours of home and have yet to fail to find new water. I mainly seek small water that will have no sign of humans( other than the trout which in many of these small ponds were planted 50 to 100 years ago and are unknown to the rank and file) just recently acquired a 5 wt buccaneer that I think will be my go to for the upcoming season. So far we have about 14 inches of ice left before we can get going .

Post 09 Mar 2020, 17:46 • #921 
Florida born and SE PA raised. Started fly fishing in high school, was very privileged to have such great fishing all within 3 hours, and even more beyond that. First taste of wild trout on a fly was in Valley Forge. Pretty new to glass rods so I’m excited to learn more and narrow down a great rod for some small stream fishing!

Post 15 Mar 2020, 18:30 • #922 
Sport
I am from SE, PA. I caught my first fish when I was three. My Grandpop and buddy dug a hole near his trailer (near Forksville PA), filled it with creek water and added a few fish they caught earlier. He taught me how to fish from then on. I was able to spend many summers of my youth up there and am very thankful for it. About 6-7 years ago I started fly fishing in earnest. My home streams are the valley, ridley, and the Tully. I recently joined a deer and trout camp on the Penns. I also always try to get up to the Upper Delaware and Beaverkill once or twice a year. I finally got out west two years ago and man I was not disappointed. On my first trip, I fished from Denver up to Ennis MT and back. My first night I slept under the stars on the North Platte in a canyon about 20 miles down a gravel road. It was amazing. On my second trip, I spent a week on the Green River and then another few days, up in the Winds fishing Cutts. I got hypothermia though. On the third trip, I went back to the Madison River to fish for fall browns and made it safely through a pretty solid snowstorm. I can't wait to go back.

My glass rod collection is small so far: an Epic 686 and a McFarland 8'3" 3 wt.

Post 28 Mar 2020, 15:36 • #923 
Georgetown Texas...Fish the San Gabriel and Brazos rivers as well as the Guadalupe ,San Marcos, LLano and Pedernales.

Post 17 May 2020, 14:57 • #924 
Hi All,
i'm from Czech rep and mostly fished on non-trout stream here in country side for some small species :eek

Post 17 May 2020, 20:24 • #925 
Master Guide
Welcome, please post pictures of your fishing.

Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply