It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:53

Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Apr 2018, 21:36 • #826 
St Joseph, MO. Been reading here awhile and really enjoy the helpful attitudes of everyone. Not a glass only guy. So far a 3wt SFG which I use for bluegills and small bass in my pond. Also 2 cgr's , a 4/5 and a5/6. The Cabelas rods are used mostly in the jon boat which is a harsh environment and there is a risk of the rod going overboard. While I like them, the SFG I like a lot more and am trying to decide if I'm going to add the 4 or the 5 SFG. Will make three trips to Bennett in the next 6 weeks and use 4 and 5 wt graphite there. Also have been below the dam on Taneycomo a couple of times for short 2hr. wading and twice to Roaring River which I didn't care for. Planning to investigate several of the conservation areas in NW MO this spring and summer.

Post 03 Apr 2018, 08:34 • #827 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, lefever! You might have seen this thread regarding the Orvis SFG 4 and 5:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=62307#p317823

I have the 4, and like it, but the 5 may be more versatile.

Post 03 Apr 2018, 20:36 • #828 
Thanks. I did see that thread. Leaning toward the 5 for the reason you said. Versatility. For the 3wt I have 2 Battenkills, a I and a II with a 3 wt on 1 an a 4wt on the other. Covers a lot of situations. Planning to set up the 5 with 5 and 6wt lines.

Post 04 Apr 2018, 15:47 • #829 
Sport
I’m from VA then VT, but stayed in TX after the military. Here in League City I live on Galveston Bay and spend most of my time on the flats. I go to South Padre frequently to the inlaws house and am always after tarpon. Took a bit to get the pattern down. For freshwater, my favorite place is the Canyon Tailrace. It is a stock trout fishery, but I exclusively fish for stripers. The striper fishing is simply to productive for me to target stocked trout.

Post 13 Apr 2018, 08:31 • #830 
Master Guide
I'm right on the eastern border of NY at the southern end of Lake Champlain. I'm close to the Metawee and Battenkill, along with many other NY and VT streams, rivers and lakes.

I don't care much for the taxes and politics in NY, but the fishing opportunities abound where I live!

Tight lines,
Bob

Post 20 Apr 2018, 15:44 • #831 
Sport
Bob, you’re from my old neck of the woods! Lived in Old Bennington through high school, but graduated from Cambridge, NY before college near Potsdam. I know the waters you fish well. I used to slay it on the Waloomsac. Less pressure than the Battenkill, but less native fish. Monster browns.

Post 22 Apr 2018, 07:06 • #832 
Master Guide
JasonTX wrote:
Bob, you’re from my old neck of the woods! Lived in Old Bennington through high school, but graduated from Cambridge, NY before college near Potsdam. I know the waters you fish well. I used to slay it on the Waloomsac. Less pressure than the Battenkill, but less native fish. Monster browns.

I've never fished the Waloomsac... I'll have to give it a try!

Too many hobbies and not enough time,
Bob

Post 27 Apr 2018, 11:12 • #833 
Sport
Bonjour mes amis!

I live in Normandie France and spend alot of time fishing on l'iton, l'arve and La Risle for trout and grayling. I also fish la Toque for sea run brown trout.

Whilst I'm not new to fly fishing I'm new to the world of fibreglass. I bought and built an Epic 764 and started fishing with it a little over a month ago and fell in love at first cast. I've just ordered an Epic 686 that I hope to get built by the start of the sea trout season at the end of May.

Post 27 Apr 2018, 15:42 • #834 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Eure! Please post pictures of your beautiful country and fish. Enjoy those rods!

Post 28 Apr 2018, 04:54 • #835 
Sport
l'arve is shallow chalk stream and not particularly big.

I mainly fish around Dreux, it doesn't have many big fish but lots of beautiful small wild brownies.

The l'iton is another shallow chalk stream but smaller than the l'arve. It has fewer fish than the l'arve but they're a bigger size, grayling are more common than trout. There are also some nice chub.

My first grayling on my new Epic, 45cm around 2lb

Chub are the poor mans trout :lol . Like trout they will take a streamer, nymph or dry and can be shy or greedy. They are dirty fighters and know where every branch or patch or weed is and when first hooked they'll dive for it and they're strong

La risle is my favourite river to fish, it's alot bigger than the l'arve or l'iton. It holds bigger trout but most are stocked. I only have one picture which is a shame

Post 28 Apr 2018, 05:21 • #836 
Sport
Although fly fishing is my biggest pleasure I also bait fish, mainly on the the l'eure. It's not as beautiful as the other rivers and doesn't have trout or grayling.

It has lots of barbel and they're incredibly strong! You can catch them on a fly rod but need to stalk them and that isn't possible in many places

Being in France it contains carp too, Europe's favourite fish. A small mirror caught on a float and cheese

There are bigger carp too. This is a 25lb+ leather carp and incredibly rare, they're the same species as common carp but have no scales and small fins. They where bred to make them easy to clean when carp where still eaten.

My favourite fish in l'eure is the humble roach, they love a peacock and black.
It might not look impressive but at 2lb it is equivalent to a 5lb bass size wise

Post 28 Apr 2018, 06:40 • #837 
Guide
My lifelong hometown is in the Lehigh Valley, Eastern Pennsylvania. I cut my fly fishing teeth on local limestone streams, including Monocacy Creek and Little Lehigh Creek. But I’ve also been conducting a lifelong affair with the limestone streams in Central PA including Penns Creek, Spring Creek and Big Fishing Creek. I love tying flies to match their abundant insect hatches. My retirement three years ago has allowed me to fish on weekdays, and be home on weekends for cycling and other outdoor activities with my wife.

My last manufactured rod purchase took place in 1984, when the rod building bug bit me. Since then I’ve built mostly graphite rods, then a few bamboo rods on purchased blanks in recent years. This winter I had no rod plans but ended up building out a Chris Barklay blank and just finished a CTS 8’ four weight Quartz. Neither have been fished yet, likely this week though as I plan to visit Central PA for a few days.

Thanks go out to the builders here on the fiberglass site. Their sharing of information and rod photos has provided lots of inspiration.

Regards,
Jeff

Post 28 Apr 2018, 08:12 • #838 
Glass Fanatic
Eure and PENZZZ, you fish some very pretty water. Thanks for showing!

Post 28 Apr 2018, 08:46 • #839 
Glass Fanatic
Bienvenue Eure!

Here's a thread you might like:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58338&p=283320&hilit=dammarie#p283320

Love the interesting carp picture

Eure wrote:
There are bigger carp too. This is a 25lb+ leather carp and incredibly rare, they're the same species as common carp but have no scales and small fins. They where bred to make them easy to clean when carp where still eaten.

I like to show American friends this photo from a store near Dammarie les Lys with carp more expensive than trout.

Post 28 Apr 2018, 08:55 • #840 
Guide
Tomah wrote:

I've fished Colorado several times Tomah, no shortage of scenery and pretty water there.

Post 28 Apr 2018, 09:43 • #841 
Sport
Thanks for the link, I'm not far from the Seine myself so interesting seeing someone fly fish for chub. I was planning on fishing streamers for perch this year, it might be an idiots idea but I'll try anyway.

Post 28 Apr 2018, 12:19 • #842 
Glass Fanatic
PENZZZ wrote:
Tomah wrote:

I've fished Colorado several times Tomah, no shortage of scenery and pretty water there.

No doubt about it!

Post 30 Apr 2018, 09:27 • #843 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Eure! It is always nice to see posts from other waters. English chalk streams are often mentioned in U.S. fly fishing discussions but I should have realized there was some similar geology on the other side of La Manche.

And welcome to you too PENZZZ! Is that pic one of those PA limestone creeks? That's bigger water than I thought.

Post 30 Apr 2018, 16:00 • #844 
Glass Fanatic
Eure wrote:
Although fly fishing is my biggest pleasure I also bait fish, mainly on the the l'eure. ..
It has lots of barbel and they're incredibly strong! You can catch them on a fly rod but need to stalk them and that isn't possible in many places.

glorious fish and pictures, thank you..
I grew up in South Africa reading English fishing books, so know a ridiculous amount about fishing for European fish that I've never seen, the barbel and roach among them. That roach is tremendous.
I like the cane rod and centerpin reel.. have been known to baitfish myself, here is a glass rod and centerpin with a handsome young carp..

Post 30 Apr 2018, 17:16 • #845 
Sport
I read many English books too, it keep saying it help my English :lol My fishing has an English feel, infact those cane rods and centrepin are English.

That's a lovely common, a carp and a centrepin is alot of pleasure.

Post 30 Apr 2018, 21:13 • #846 
Guide
Upstreeam, that picture is from Penns Creek. I’m there now.

Post 21 May 2018, 18:58 • #847 
Sport
I'm from the western part of Virginia, in the Southern Shenandoah Valley near Lexington. I'm not very discriminating in where I fish, I'll fish for anything depending on the season and my mood. Within thirty minutes of my house I have multiple blue lines to fish for natives, larger streams with stocked trout, farm ponds with bream and bass, and warmwater streams with smallies and sunfish. My in-laws live in Massachusetts so every few years I get to fish the northeast, my goal for the next time I visit is to land a pickerel or pike as they're both pretty uncommon in VA.

Post 26 May 2018, 20:51 • #848 
Currently, hail from near Salt Lake City, Utah...mountain streams are fun here with a 2wt glass...

Post 08 Jun 2018, 21:45 • #849 
Guide
Hey all. I’m in the No VA area outside of DC. Trying to hit Shenandoah and upper MD but sometimes it is easier and faster to try some urban fishing closer in to the city. If anyone is around the the NoVA area and wants to go fish - lemme know. I’ve started to map out my target trout streams... but wouldn't mind going after carp or something else.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 21:52 • #850 
Sport
Im from Irving, Texas, right in the middle of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Most of the fishing I get to do is urban creeks and city parks for green sunfish and the occasional Bass.

Every now and again I have to get out of the city and head a to a river that reminds me of the Texas hill country, just not as far.

Most people go to this river to see these.

I go to catch some of the most amazing colored bass I have ever caught.

Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply