It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:09

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Jul 2007, 10:24 • #51 
Master Guide
Great idea for a thread. I'm originally from Ct. however I've spent a considerable amount of my life out west traveling (like a gypsy;) ) Have lived in Alaska, Southern CA, Oregon, New Mexico, Arizona, and Mexico. Currently residing in Maine fishing her beautiful waters and working for the man.

Post 05 Jul 2007, 18:57 • #52 
Sport
I live in Seattle. My favorite rivers are the Sauk and Skagit north of here for bull trout (I still refer to them as dollies), steelhead, salmon, mountain whitefish, and the occasional rainbow and sea run cutthroat. I'll fish just about anywhere for anything that wiggles.

Randy

Update: As of July 2009 I live in Warm Springs, VA since I retired from the Seattle Fire Department and now fish Virginia fresh and saltwater as well as occasional forays into Maryland and North Carolina. I am also primarily a pole fisher now (no reels) with more emphasis on tenkara with tenkara specific rods but I use other telescopic rods for warm water species and some saltwater species. I occasionally fish my old glass rods and Pflueger reels and every once in awhile I might use my graphite Sage or a spinning rod. I eat more of my catch now except for native brookies which I revere as God's special living jewels.

Randy

Last edited by wrknapp on 30 Jan 2011, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Jul 2007, 13:32 • #53 
Master Guide
I live, work, love, drink, fish, kayak and mountain bike in the New River Valley of southwest Virginia. we are off the beaten path, away from population density in an area rich with limestone, karst, sink holes and springs. Please use the info in the previous sentence with discretion.

The New River is a well-known trophy smallmouth river. The tribs that feed it typically have decent populations of rainbow trout that have gained a foothold over the past 50 years. The tribs of those tribs, and tribs of those tribs tribs, offer some excellent native brook trout fishing for those willing to walk farther than anyone else. Yes, 11-13 inch brookies are out there for those who seek them with purity of heart, glass in hand and a good sense of humor.

I've been graphite free since March and recovery is progressing well, thanks to Drs. McFarland and Steffen and the mysterious Professor Diamondglass.

Still angling to score the eBay classic Fenwick, Phillipson or Shakespeare.

Really enjoy this forum.

Yeti out.

Post 07 Jul 2007, 18:11 • #54 
Sport
Yeti:
I am glad your recovery is going well. But life is all about balance, a few graphite rods in the arsenal is not a bag thing.

Lanny

Post 07 Jul 2007, 23:56 • #55 
Master Guide
Yeti,
You aroused my interest and curiosity to the point where I did some "web surfing" and found gilescounty.org/ - WOW! What a spectacular area (New River). What type work do you do there? Any job openings?:) I think we should consider New River for our next "Glass Clave" ... what do you think?
Lou

Post 08 Jul 2007, 15:03 • #56 
Sport
I am from Milton, MA. Spent 24 years in the Air Force, Korea, Mississippi, Texas, Europe. Each place I fished as much as I could ... was into Bass tournament fishing in the early 80's (caught the Bill Dance Bug) but after a while found that all the speed, hype and jive ... fishing wasn't fun anymore, it was pressure, $$, and stress ... One day I saw a elderly gentlemen fishing a bluegill bed on the Tennessee Tombigee River. He was having a ball fly fishing, catching tons of huge bream on a popping bug, enjoying what fishing was all about ... satisfaction, solitude, and "poetry in motion". I went out to Gibson's that day and bought a fly rod setup and after a couple of scrappy bluegills pulling on a 5wt rod, I never looked back ... I fish mostly the greater Boston area lakes and ponds (over 200+ public ponds) including warm & cold fresh water lakes/ponds of Cape Cod. The Cape has some of the best smallmouth fishing and trout fishing in New England. Not much salt water fishing, but hope to some day ... Massachusetts has some great fishing opportunities
John

Post 09 Jul 2007, 15:43 • #57 
Master Guide
I'm from central NY ... I primarily fish southern NY (Catskill region), central PA and western Montana regions ... although, the house remodeling thing has temporarily squelched my Montana adventures ...
Bob

Post 11 Jul 2007, 05:17 • #58 
Master Guide
Yes, this is a nice area. Giles County is wonderful, and offers the best fishing on the New in Virginia. If anyone wants to clave here or just visit, I'll be glad to show them around or at least point them in the right direction.

Post 12 Jul 2007, 17:03 • #59 
I was born in Ontario, Canada. My parents took me to live in British Columbia when I was 13 yrs old. Moved to Christchurch NZ 6 years ago.

I like to fish small streams here with any Tom Morgan designed rod.

Hope Tom comes out with a new glass blank soon.

Best Fishes

Michael

Post 13 Jul 2007, 19:01 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
brittish columbia and then new zealand? i guess if you're gotta leave an outdoor opportunity-rife place like BC, you've gotta choose a place like NZ to compensate. nice! hopefully you can share a picture or two from your neck of the woods.
-mike

Post 14 Jul 2007, 04:36 • #61 
Guide
figured I would jump in here.
I am pretty sure I had hobbies before moving off to college in Macon GA but after being introduced to flyfishing after my freshman year everything else went out the window. I have fished a bit in SE Tenn and a bit in N. GA but my heart and most of my flies lie in middle GA. I learned to fish and have had my greatest frustrations fishing for a relatively new species of black bass called the shoal bass. Think deep south smallmouth. Wet wading 10 months out of the year is a big plus. I have some graphite, some bamboo, and one glass rod, and if there are lots more like it I will have more of them. If you're ever in the area (pretty small chance) let me know I can put you on water that very few people know and hold BIG fish.

Post 14 Jul 2007, 09:20 • #62 
Tonemike, thanks for your reply.

Having fished for forty years and knowing I like sight fishing for trout most of all in small streams with small flies and knowing Vancouver was to big for me helped me make the jump.

One only has X years to do what you love the most.

Best Fishes

Michael

Post 15 Jul 2007, 17:07 • #63 
Hi I am from northern California, right alongside the Klamath and Trinity Rivers, alongside the Marble Mountain and Trinity Alps Wilderness areas.

I grew up fishing for trout (rainbows and some cutts and baby salmon also "trout" as far as that goes) half-pound steelhead, adult steelies and king salmon. I also fish some local lakes and lagoons for bass and bluegill at times. Started flyfishing at 12, tying at 13, I'm 28 now. Fish with a flyrod 98% of the time, presently don't own a glass tho I started with them, will be fixing that soon.

Also in a quest to find the perfect tackle carrying system for small streams and high country fishing STREAMLINE is the word. Horses also figure prominantly in my thinking for this, I bought a 8.5' Cabelas Stowaway 7 5wt that solves that end of things at the moment.

-Kepel

Post 17 Jul 2007, 01:45 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I am from south central Connecticut.
I have been fly fishing all my life since I could hold a rod.
My first fly fishing memory is from when I was 5 my dad had his Heddon bass bugging rod propped up in the corner of the porch he had a rubber fly that looked like a spider tied to the leader.
I saw the spider on the deck so I stomped on it!
Next thing you know I was screaming and crying the fly had a double hook and my 1st and 2nd toe were both hooked right through.
I was hooked on fly fishing from that point on you might say.
I live on a small bass pond and fish it daily when the water is open.
The salt water is 2 miles away and I hit it when ever I get the whim.
We have a number of small wild trout streams within 5 miles of my house.
I fish all over the State we have some fantastic fisheries here in Connecticut.
I have fished from coast to coast of this beautiful country we call home.
2 of the places I long to return to one day are the Ausable
in Michigan and the Carson in CA.
I travel down the the upper Delaware a couple times a season I really love that river and would love to live on her banks.
It's a good thing George Washington didn't have his fly rod with him

Some Fish To Live I Live to Fish!

Tight Lines and Hooked Loops
Andy M

PS; Relaxing In The Salmon River Colchester CT

Post 17 Jul 2007, 04:47 • #65 
Guide
I currently live in Juneau Alaska, cannot afford to fly locally so I mostly fish the shores, estuaries and three streams on our very limited road system.

I grew up in southern New Hampshire where fishing for trout was done with fly rods, whether one fished bait or flies.
I lived 20 years in the SF Bay Area from where I fished throughout the western US.

Places I especially liked were the Thompson in BC, the Klamath, Salmon and Trinity rivers, Eagle Lake, Pyramid lake, the John Muir Wilderness between Kings Canyon and Yosemite, the east side of the sierra, and the west side of the Wind River range. I get back to some of these now and then. I combine watercolor painting with my fishing - and so have learned that it usually helps a lot to sit still and observe for an hour or so before you fish.

-Vinnie in Juneau

Post 17 Jul 2007, 07:34 • #66 
Vinnie,
where did you fish the Klamath, Salmon and Trinity rivers at? You were in my backyard. I have met many anglers from around the world here, I always felt that flyfisherman had a lil more class and in most cases I think I was right. Proud to be among you here on the board. I have enjoyed it immensely so far.

-kepelcreek

p.s you may have seen it called Capell

Post 17 Jul 2007, 12:20 • #67 
Administrator
Andy ... all the branches of the Au Sable River and the Manistee River are very special places. There is so much history and lore from those waters. I am very fortunate to have learn to fly fish on those clear brown waters.

While home last month I picked up this book:

Seasons of the Au Sable

It is a great read and each book sold makes a donation to conversation efforts on those waters.

Post 18 Jul 2007, 07:01 • #68 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The first time I ever fished size 28 Trikes and 7 X tippet was
on the Au Sable back in 72.
I have extended family in Michigan and we went to visit and fish early June right after school was out the plan was 2 weeks.
My Sister in law asked if I wanted to stay for the summer.
I really got to know the river and spent from dawn to dusk on the river most every day.
I have never had the opportunity to get back- My brothers divorce didn't help much either.
When I got home my fly fishing skills were sharply improved from the experience.
I spent the next Summer on the Battenkill another river you need to be sharp to catch the old one's.

"I Wish Again to Fish Again in Michigan"

Tight Lines and Selective Loops
Andy M

Post 18 Jul 2007, 14:40 • #69 
Master Guide
Just registered!

Central Maine ... got a Fisher 4wt, Lami Honey 3wt and an Orvis Fullflex 6wt :)
Love the site..lots of great looking rods! and reels! especially those agate strippers!

Post 18 Jul 2007, 14:44 • #70 
Administrator
kimosabe131,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

You've got some great rods yourself! I hope you enjoy it here.

Tom

Post 18 Jul 2007, 14:59 • #71 
Master Guide
Thanks Tom! I hope to make it to a glass clave someday year. Just joining makes me want another rod!. ..an 8' 5wt 3pcs Lami Honey:)

I know that there are a couple Maine glassrodders on board ... hope to flog the water with them soon!

Post 19 Jul 2007, 13:08 • #72 
I am a rookie still. I found you guys from an article in the Flyfish Ohio Web Site. Had been thinking about a Glass rod and had gone searching for info. Thanks to this site and the members, I now fish a Forcast spin turned fly 6wt. I do a lot of Kayak fishing in the Delaware river, lakes, and Schylkill River in Pa. Hit Pocono Mt streams when I can for Trout. I may try the Salt this fall ... maybe.
I am located Quakertown, Pa. Next rod I build will be something in a 3 Wt 6' or 7' Glass ... hooked now.
Thanks again ... !

Post 21 Jul 2007, 16:43 • #73 
Guide
born in Portland OR, but never spent any time there till the last few years. Actually really learned to trout in the Smokies when I lived in Greensboro in the 60's-70's, but I selected my high school because of its pond full of spiny rays. My 1st fly rod was an old W&McG Sweetheart.

Being in SE PA, I ffish quite a few days, since we have a number of year-round spring creeks as well as the usual seasonal stockers. I have ffished the Catskills so much over the decades that I consider the Beaverkill my home water. I get to the Rockies a couple of times a year, but have spent a bunch of time in OR and CA lately.

Much of my ffishing now is with a bunch of wood, but there are a few dozen borons and another few dozen glasses that occupy me. Not to mention the ubiquitous dark matter.

My current glass mode centers around Diamondglass, which I'm accumulating now. I do have some of the see-thru Feralites, a coupla white Wonders, a JK Fisher 3wt patterned after the Stalker, a longer Stalker nothing like the JKF, and an F Scott. Also have several honey Lamis including a 10 piecer (that casts about the same as the 2, 3, 4, 6 and 9 piecers - still wonder how they managed to do that) and several S Glasses that I value more than some of my cane and most of my graphite.

Spent a far amount of time in Russ's Pasadena shop and RLW when they were still in SF; but all the Peaks I have are black.

The 1st good rod I got was the SciAng System4.come to think about it, I have another rod I lusted after at the time - a 7' Silaflex. Also have a Gowdy that I haven't really gotten to know yet - need to do that one of these days. Also am fond of a Hardy JET 8' which I use 4wts on and am currently comparing to the DG in the same size. Still getting used to the newer Perfection, which is super smooth (like all my Hardys) but definitely on the slow side.

This board has stirred my interest in the modern makers as well as the offshore stuff - the latter has some neat cane too.

tl
les

Post 22 Jul 2007, 16:05 • #74 
Sport
Born in northern NJ, been living in Georgia (Gainesville) for the last 7 years. I spend alot of time fishing the streams of north GA and NC, especially around Brevard. My parents live in Michigan, so I usually head up in September to fish for the Kings, and then again at Xmas time and get in a day of steelheading on the PM or Muskegon. I like to fish lots of different kinds of places ... I spend lots of time stalking the trophy trout of Dukes creek, and an equal amount of time chasing the small wild fish in the high elevation creeks that are so numerous in the southern appalachians. This year I hope to branch out further and fish the GSMNP a few times.

Rich

Post 28 Jul 2007, 05:08 • #75 
Hello,

Grew up in CT and fished throughout the country and internationally both in fresh and salt water. Currently reside in Dallas, Tx and have been fising in northern Arkansas for quite some time (27 yrs) and know it intimately..Although when I need a dose of LL salmon and brookies, I'm in Maine. Was able to fish the upper Connecticut, Rapid, East outlet and WB last fall before season end..It always brings me back!

Glass rods are several Phillipson epoxites although I'm being summoned to small Fenwick feralites.

RFMD ... I'll drop you a note next trip I plan for Maine..

Tight lines,

Don

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply