It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:14

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Nov 2006, 22:52 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
hey cameron,
though i fish less december through february (my 10 yr old and i snowboard then), i live just outside of seattle and if you know exactly when you'll be here, i'll talk to a few friends and let you know whats going on then ... most likely steelhead. if you ever make it out here earlier (maybe between halloween and thanksgiving) the chum salmon run is very healthy and they take a fly extremely well. and you can catch them right here in the skykomish river from 6 to 15 pounds regularly. on a decent morning you may release a dozen or more salmon. just let me know. take care.
-mike

Post 12 Nov 2006, 03:22 • #27 
Administrator
Tonmike ... we'll be out there from November 28 through December 4. It is my wife's 30th birthday trip ... and we'll have our 15 month old little girl ... so I really don't know if it is worth me bring along the fly rod. We are staying two nights in Forks and I spoke to the cabin owner/fly fishing guide who said that there should be some steelhead up in the Hoh rainforest that we can hike to. If I can combine a good hike with some fly fishing it might work out.

If you hear any good info please let me know.

Post 12 Nov 2006, 09:56 • #28 
Sport
hey goldenstair , i'm not from greenfield, but the next town north of it, which is Leyden. Adams is nice, I always have a good time when I fish the green river. Do you fish it much?

Post 15 Nov 2006, 06:48 • #29 
Master Guide
I am originally from Chile, but moved to NJ when I was 5 yrs. old and have been here ever since. Currently live in Howell, NJ and fish mostly out of my yak for panfish/ bass. I do have access to some nice smallie fishing less than 1 hour away in the Delaware River and a few of the lower reaches of some northern NJ trout streams. I don't have much trout fishing nearby, and prefer the tiny brookie streams in the states Wild Trout Streams program.

I have been building my own rods for about 5-6 years now and have a stick up my you know what about only fishing my own rods. I have a 2 rod glass arsenal right now, a Fenglass 605 that I stripped and re-wrapped with single foot guides, and a Forecast 6' 5-6wt built from a glass spinning blank. I plan to build a 2pc 6.5' 3/4wt from another Forecast blank this winter, as well as a Lamiglass 3wt in the 7' or 6.5' length in 3pc.

I also surf and fish the Atlantic Ocean for stripers, blues, and fluke and have access to miles of beaches within 15 minutes of home. I fish a 9.5' 8wt graphite and am building a 9' 6wt graphite in a saltwater configuration as well to use on the smaller fluke and schoolie bass.

If anyone is ever in the area, please drop me a line and I will point you in the right direction or perhaps head out and get you into fish.

Lou Perez :hat

Post 27 Jun 2007, 21:31 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I thought I should resurrect this thread. We have a couple hundred more members since it was posted.
I hooked up with Upsteeam in GA through this thread and we had great fishing. Lets make some more connections here.
Cheers
RFMcD

Post 27 Jun 2007, 21:51 • #31 
Emeritus
I lived on the South Shore (Massachusetts) until I decided that a certain Providence, RI ivy league college was bullshit and I joined the Army. I spent nearly two years stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA where my son was born. Shortly thereafter I found myself in Korea in the DMZ.. The Im Jim Gak doesn't fish for @#%$, BTW.

After my liberation from the green machine I returned to MA for a short while and, once I realized the real estate prices were escalating much faster than my financial situation, decided to head for greener pastures. The car ran out of gas in Cinncinnati and that's where I"ve been for 23 years. AFAIAC I can stay for the rest of my life. The fishing is decent and the community is quietly conservative and friendly. It's not perfect, mind you. But it's comfortable.

I fish the Great Miami river system its tributaries as well as the main stem of the Ohio. Those are now my home waters. I'll sometimes hit the local reserviors for largemouth but I'm a creek smallie fan at heart. Two or three times a year I'll head to Michigan or Minnesota for some eutrophic lake fishing (as close to my Massachusetts childhood as I can get) and I fish the salt waters of Florida on something like a regular basis, too.

Joe C.

Post 27 Jun 2007, 23:08 • #32 
Guide
After scanning the post I see that I never put my "Bio" up. Live in eastern Vermont in an area known as the Upper Valley, north of White River Jct and south of St. Johnsbury. I fish local waters, but prefer to travel to the Upper Connecticut or Clyde for wild fish. Being a public school teacher, I have had the opportunity to flyrod for Stripers on Cape Cod for over 20 years and make 1 or 2 trips to the Keys each year inbetween hurricanes. If I were a wealthy man I would throw in an annual trip to Montana as well. Rock Creek is one of the coolest places I have ever fished.

Rich

Post 28 Jun 2007, 00:36 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
I grew up Houston Texas fishing conventional tackle in saltwater mostly the upper coast. When in 1990 I moved to Ft Worth for employment I started fishing fresh water with conventional tackle.
My introduction to fly fishing came in 1995 when I met my future wife who fly fished. Now I fly fish everywhere - creeks and lakes in the area and for all sorts of sunfish bass, greens, and yellow bellies.
This weekend I am taking my 7'9" wonderord to the Texas Hill Country to search for fish- this will be my first fly fishing adventure with glass.
Tight lines!
Les Jackson
Arlington, Texas

Post 28 Jun 2007, 02:06 • #34 
Sport
Hello:
I live in Corona, California, which is the southern part of the state. I have lived here my entire life but want to get out someday( when the kids leave home). The over crowding here has really had a negative impact of the quality of life So Cal. I fish any where a fish will eat a fly. Local park ponds and near by lakes for bass, crappie, bluegill other assorted fish. For trout I try to go to the local mountains, southern Utah and the eastern Sierra as much as possible. I lived in Reno, Nevada for several years in the early 80s, about 200 yards from the Truckee river. I fished almost every day and really honed my fly rodding skills there.

Lanny

Post 28 Jun 2007, 02:27 • #35 
Administrator
I was asked to pin this thread to the top of the Fishing Forum (good idea Rich and thanks John for reviving the thread).

Now that the Glass Clave is over, I encourage everyone that wishes to make contact with like minded glass fanatics to put a bio in this thread. Several of us have met and fished together. I hope more of us will do so in the future.

Tom

Post 28 Jun 2007, 07:49 • #36 
Master Guide
I was born is Spingfield, Massachusetts but was raised in Brooklyn, New York. I fish mostly in the state of New York( we have it all). two miles south from my home is the ocean, sixty miles east is a trout hatchery, west is Prospect Park Lake and north is the NYC water shed. I have world class fishing all around me. My biggest problem is deciding where to spend the day fishing.

Bill

Post 28 Jun 2007, 09:19 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Other than Lanny who lives right down the street from me (thanks for the float tube, Lanny) there are few California boys in this group. interesting geographic mix. i feel like anywhere in the country i decide to go fishing i wil have a guide.

Post 28 Jun 2007, 09:30 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Born in Springville, Utah, lived for around 60 odd years in Long Beach, Belmont Shores, Garden Grove and Cerritos, California till I retired a few years back. Now living on the Kern River above Lake Isabella in the Southeastern Sierra's. Now fishing the Kern River and lake areas every day. From around 20 miles below the lake to almost 40 miles above it and alot of the streams creeks and small high country lakes and ponds as well. Mostly in the Golden Trout Wilderness areas.
Usually take a trip down to SD and go out for Albacore around August or September when they start running (short notice) and up to Alaska for some Salmon fishing with an old friend once a year as well.

Post 28 Jun 2007, 09:55 • #39 
Master Guide
Hi All ... and especially the guys who attended the clave.
Great meeting and fishing with you here in my home state of Massachusetts. The Deerfield is about two hours west of me ... I spend most my fishing time in the salt for stripers on the north shore of MA and up to Kennebunk in southern Maine.
Anyone interested in catching an outgoing tide anytime soon?
Lou

Post 28 Jun 2007, 10:01 • #40 
Master Guide
Born in San Antonio TX 40 odd years ago ... Raised in rural Oklahoma (where I fished local farm ponds with spinning and spin casting gear) ... got into motorcycles as a kid and didn't fish much after I discovered the need for speed. I joined the Army in '98 and lived at FT Bragg, Korea, San Antonio and when I was stationed at FT Leonard Wood in 2004 in Central MO I got back into fishing with spinning gear. About a year ago I discovered fly fishing and hit the local ponds for the typical warm water species and trout streams for rainbows. I've recently relocated yet again to Central Texas - just north of Austin at FT Hood. I'm an Occupational Therapist in the Army, and after another 7 years I will join the ranks of the retired and hopefully increase my time on the water exponentially!

I've been using graphite rods but plan on building my first rod (glass) soon - waiting on component catalogs as we speak. It'll be a Lami 7'6 4wt.

You guys are great and I have learned a ton from everyone on this forum.

David

Post 28 Jun 2007, 14:44 • #41 
Master Guide
I was born in Serbia (former Yugoslavia) and moved to Boston, MA in 1991. I learned to flyfish as a kid on streams of Eastern Serbia. When I moved to the USA I got bit by the SW bug and mostly flyfished in the saltwater-from Boston Harbor to Baja. I moved to the Twin Cities a couple of years ago and I now mostly fish Midwestern spring creeks. I miss stripers, though!

This is a great community-it is my pleasure to be a part of it!

Vlad

Post 28 Jun 2007, 17:04 • #42 
I was born in Southern Ohio. I grew up fishing ponds and Impoundments with a few trips to the Great Lakes. Most of my fishing was done for bass and walleye. My wife who was born in Mi talked me into moving to Phoenix AZ and I am still there. Most of my fishing here is in Mountain lakes.. I am just learning to fly fish and still have a lot of skills to learn. My fly rods were just dust catchers for thirty years while I ran a detective agency, a realestate agency and several other small businesses. A brain tumor 3 years ago slowed me down. I have written and had published several books and now I am learning to fly fish. I hope that it will help me to get well physically and learn to relax. The guys on this board have been a giant help. I have some glass and will look for more. Rob

Post 28 Jun 2007, 17:30 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Rob when your ready head out to Sadona the river there is full of nice trout. Likewise if your into a little longer drive, head for the White Mountains, its like visiting Yellowstone without the turists, tons of great creeks, streams and rivers and very few people. Went there over 4th of July weekend a couple of years ago, went for miles without seeing anyone and had a whole river to myself to fish for 5 days.

Post 29 Jun 2007, 04:55 • #44 
Master Guide
Have lived in Missouri & Kansas all my life, moved to South Kansas City when I got married many years ago. Haven't done much trout fishing for many years but plan to change that in the near future. Have fished coldwater in Colorado, 10 hours away or can get to troutwater in Missouri of anywhere to 3-6 hours away. Arkansas tailwaters are about a good 6 hours drive away. Enjoy fishing the local warmwater ponds and lakes for bass and bluegill and would like to try fishing for White bass on the larger lakes when I can. My idea of the perfect fishing trip is unloading my canoe on an ozark stream and fishing for smallmouth bass, wading the clear water and fishing through these small streams brings me back to life. Don't intend to use the graphite much anymore, I enjoy my older bamboo rods too much to divide my time that way. Hope to get started with a couple of glass rods soon.

Tim

Post 29 Jun 2007, 13:06 • #45 
Emeritus
I'm from Ann Arbor Michigan. I fish for trout in the spring in the famous Au Sable about 3 hours north. I also fish in Grand Traverse Bay for carp on the flats. Starting in late June I start fishing my home water the Huron. Late June brings the Mulberry hatch and excellent carp fishing. Late July until late August is the Hexagenia Limbata hatch where we catch tons of small mouth.
Thanks
Paul Christensen

Post 29 Jun 2007, 13:18 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
I grew up in Brooklyn, NY but have lived on Long Island for the past 22 years. I have a variety of fishing opportunities around me - trout fishing, warmwater, and saltwater. I spend the spring months on trout, late spring and early summer on warmwater, then I become a surfcasting nut for the rest of the year.

Post 30 Jun 2007, 10:05 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
I live in southern Oklahoma, about 90 miles SSE of Oklahoma City. Fortunately this part of the state has several small rivers and streams that are clear and rocky (my kind of water). During the warmer parts of the year I fish for bass, sunfish, etc. During the colder months, trout. I occasionally venture forth to Arkansas or Missouri, but not often enough.

Larry

Post 30 Jun 2007, 12:22 • #48 
Emeritus
I live in Boulder County in Colorado home of the People's Republic of Boulder. I don't wear crocs, eat tofu or hug trees, although I do like trees. This is a fantastic area because I'm never too far from water. There are several small streams to fish west of Boulder and the Big Thompson and St. Vrain within an hour. My favorite water to fish is the Arkansas River in Salida, Co. My second favorite is the Eagle River. I am a rod and reel junkie. I use plastic, glass and grass without prejudice, but I'm falling in love with glass. Howard

Post 30 Jun 2007, 12:30 • #49 
Master Guide
Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah. Fish the Provo rivers, Weber river, stillwater fish Strawberry Reservoir, Jordanelle, Scofield etc. Just a few hours away is home away from home. Fish the southeast and north east waters of Idaho, Henry's Fork, Henry's Lake etc, and a few miles north Hebgen and Quake lakes, the Madison in Montana and of coarse a quick jaunt to West Yellowstone.

Post 02 Jul 2007, 11:06 • #50 
Master Guide
I'm out here in the Pacific Northwest. A little north of Seattle and half way between to fabled steelheading waters ... North Fork of the Stilly and the Sky. When I'm not fishing in those water sheds I'm wading the beaches looking for the mini- steelheads ... our Cutthroats. Nothing like'em!

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply