It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:22

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Jul 2007, 17:19 • #76 
Guide
Grew up in Michigan and Ohio. Fished trout all over Michigan and some bass fishing during my college years at Ohio State.

Fished a Wonderod 6wt and Fenwick custom 3wt for almost 20 years beginning around 1972.

Moved to Las Vegas in 1995 and have fished quite a few of the big western waters. I guess my home trout waters are southwestern Utah. I have a 1960's St Croix Fiberglass 6wt DT and have planning the construction of some smaller glass rods for Alpine stream fishing.

Post 01 Aug 2007, 20:37 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
i live in the Netherlands. I mainly fish the alps region (southern germany, austria) for my trout fishing.

i fish with graphite and bamboo. soon to get my first glas fly rod.

Jay

Post 04 Aug 2007, 03:57 • #78 
Guide
Just signed on - first post. I am from Eastern Washington, I fish the Blue Mountains, the Casdades and the Bitteroots for the most part. Would like to spend some time on the Washington Olympic Peninsula fishing the small streams there.

I own several fiberglass rods; an old Heddon Pal 7 1/2 foot for a 5 that is a great light little rod, several Wonderods including an old one with some interesting characteristics. I need to post a question about that rod here. Also, a Scott Fibertouch 7 foot for a 3 line that is wonderful on little creeks. Also have a Daiwa and a Wright & McGill but these are not great rods. A side note though, I did learn to cast with the Daiwa.

Hope to post some photos soon.

Post 04 Aug 2007, 07:35 • #79 
Administrator
fisherofsmallstreams,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

I like Heddons and I haven't decided about the W&M rods. But I also learned to cast with a Diawa. I still have the rod. Every now and then, when the moon is full, I can hear it baying with the coyotes. We must really like flyfishing to persevere after such a start.

Tom

Post 04 Aug 2007, 07:43 • #80 
Guide
Yes, I learned to cast with that old Daiwa rod and a Pflueger Medalist reel. Some old cheapo fly line. I was fortunate though to have caught a fish on my first time out with the rod. After that I was hooked - not just the fish!

One o' these days I'll pull that stuff out and take it fishing! What the heck. Maybe I'll post a photo of the setup just for fun. The rod actually doesn't cast all that badly. And, I've got a bunch of Pflueger reels. They are perfect for old fiberglass rods.

Glad to have found this group. Interestingly, I also am a Tom.

Tom

Post 07 Aug 2007, 16:17 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
welcome fisherofsmallstreams!
good to have another guy here from WA. i live just a mile from the skykomish river. some of its tributaries hold some spunky little cutts (and are very scenic). do you ever get out on the naches or yakima?
glad you've joined us.
-mike

Post 08 Aug 2007, 16:23 • #82 
Guide
Mike,

I have tried but not caught a Steelhead on the Sky! I have done some cutthroat fishing in the west side rivers as I used to live in Seattle and Port Orchard. You are right, that's great country!

The Yak can be good but is best in May and then in October/November. I had an awesome day there a while back on Thanksgiving. #18 Griffith's Gnat. Nice rainbows! Naches is good down low (east) but I have fished the American which is a classic beautiful small stream and have been skunked every time.

The Tieton can be good, I've caught some cutts (of all things) up there also. Mostly it's rainbows. Can be tough as the water is high and off color this time of year for irrigation.

Regards, Tom

Post 08 Aug 2007, 20:17 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
i've never fished the Tieton. i'll have to find that one on my map.

Post 09 Aug 2007, 00:15 • #84 
Glass Fanatic
good ole redneck east Texas-p-

Post 09 Aug 2007, 16:52 • #85 
Sport
We'll have to have a Washington clave guys.

Randy

Post 09 Aug 2007, 17:43 • #86 
Guide
Yep, a Washington clave is a great idea!

Tieton, drains the east side of White Pass. Good access all along the highway there for miles. I am going to fish for Steelhead with the Spey rod tomorrow. (not in the Tieton however ... )

Tom

Post 12 Aug 2007, 13:22 • #87 
Hello all,I have been reading hear for a while,got here from thread on Young reels, thanks guys now I,m looking at glass rods as well. Mainly fish small mountian streams in West Kootenay area of BC and some still water.New to glass,although started with an old cherrywood rod.Great site and lots of info. will try and send in some pics of area and fish. Daryl

Post 12 Aug 2007, 13:53 • #88 
Administrator
Daryl,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

Short, light, glass rods and small mountain streams are a beautiful match.

Tom

Post 13 Aug 2007, 03:52 • #89 
Sport
I live in Missoula, Montana and so have many choices for fishing. My local favorities are the Bitterroot and lower Clark Fork. While I have had the opportunity to fly fish many areas of the US and throughout the world, I still consider Montana to be the center of the fishing universe.

I fish bamboo, glass and graphite and feel that all have their advantages.
winglas

Post 13 Aug 2007, 11:58 • #90 
Master Guide
I live in Whitney, TX. I fish for all the local warmwater fishes, including carp. I was raised in Central Oregon, back in the 60's and 70's, spent a number of years flying Air Force Cargo planes all over the world. Carried a 9 ft Lamiglass 9 wt and a Pflueger 1498 with me on my trips and was able to catch an amazing number of Saltwater species during my travels ... By the way, never had the ole 1498 let me down, even with the big trevally in Diego Garcia. I miss the Steelhead fishing of my youth ... but I get a big kick out of the White Bass Runs here in Texas. Cut my teeth on glass rods, tried the graphites ... but keep going back to the glass ... Love the click pawl reels. If you are out this way ... give me a shout.

Post 13 Aug 2007, 15:21 • #91 
it's been an age since I last posted here. I 've been in SE Va. for the past 25 yrs after spending the first 25 in PA.
I fish the SNP and south central Pa. waters with an almost yearly trip to the Yellowstone area and a yearly trip to Canada. I'm intent on exploring the SW corner of Va. along with NW NC and Tenn next year. had planned a few trips this year in that area but family health concerns had me postpone them.
Best,
Steve

Post 13 Aug 2007, 17:58 • #92 
Glass Fanatic
hey winglas,
i'm jealous of you. work used to bring me to missoula every three or four weeks. you've got some of the nicest waters! sure miss being on rock creek regularly. please post fishing reports periodically.
-mike

Post 14 Aug 2007, 09:41 • #93 
Sport
Tonemike,
Due to the high temperatures and fire danger there are many restrictions on the streams in our part of Western Montana. Some streams, including Rock Creek, are closed and many others have the "hoot owl restrictions in effect. One can only fish in the morning and the afternoon until 2:00pm. I was on the Bitterroot this morning taking spey casting lessons from a friend and and we saw clouds of tricos and lots of fish rising. The water temperartures are very high and the fish are stressed! It's best to leave them alone until things change. There are always lakes.

winglas

Post 14 Aug 2007, 09:48 • #94 
Glass Fanatic
Bud,
I get down on the Nolan and the Brazos near the Hwy 16 bridge.
If you're interested, I'd like to meet up and throw some flies.
Les

Post 15 Aug 2007, 14:15 • #95 
Master Guide
works for me ... let me know when. My schedule is a nightmare to work with though ...

Post 17 Aug 2007, 12:59 • #96 
Glass Fanatic
Born and raised in the SF Bay Area, still live there. Most of my fishing is Northern California and So. Oregon, from the coastal rivers and salt, to all the mryiad of Sierra streams, from the Stanislaus north. Get to So. Western Washington to fish when visiting the folks and I try to make a Yellowstone Park pilgrimage every year. I have no favorites(species of fish) as long as it swims in water I'll try fot it. Respectfully RVReclus

Post 20 Aug 2007, 05:04 • #97 
Sport
Refugee from North Texas now living in North Central Arkansas. Used to be in the Dallas flyfishing club along with greyghost.
I live an hour from the Norfork tailwaters, 1 1/2 from the White and 2 hours from the Little Red, home of the World Record Brown trout. (Got to spend a half hour or more several years ago casting to what would have been a new world record Brown but that is a different--and long---story)
The best part is that I'm less than a half hour from the best kept secret in Southern trout fishing, the Spring River, which jumps out of a single hole in the limestone karst mere yards South of the Missouri state line at the rate of 9M gallons per hour of 58 degree water to create the best spring creek trout fishery between Penn. & Mont. The only major non-tailwater fishery in the state the Spring is fishable virtually year around barring severe rain events which can muddy the karst aquifer that feeds Mammoth Spring.
I live on a tributary of the Spring, the South Fork, that is rated an Ozark Quality Smallmouth Stream so choices here are staggering.
If any reading this should ever have occasion to visit the area be aware that tailwater fishing isn't the only choice in Arkansas. In point of fact the Spring River is now a better bet for big Rainows than are the tailwaters and I expect the same to be true in the case of Browns within a few more years. If you want to know more you can contact me or take a look at the website that describes the Spring River.

Post 20 Aug 2007, 14:18 • #98 
Master Guide
I'd be up for a washington clave ... fishersmallstreams welcome aboard, I too live over here on the wet side ... about a little down river from Tonemike ...

Post 21 Aug 2007, 05:16 • #99 
Master Guide
Live in Western Canada, SW Alberta to be exact. I'm just north of western Montana so I don't have to cross too many borders or drive too far to get into some petty decent fishing. :)

Post 22 Aug 2007, 13:47 • #100 
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff.

Atta boy Tom..Our secrets out!

Don
aka grayghost

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply