It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:59

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Aug 2007, 13:55 • #101 
Sport
You know me---generous to a fault.:rollin

Post 29 Aug 2007, 04:46 • #102 
Guide
Hello, I'm new here. I'm from Western New York (Niagara Co.) and I fish the Niagara River, Lake Ontario and it's tributaries. I especially enjoy fishing ponds for warm water fish.
Tom.

Post 29 Aug 2007, 06:18 • #103 
Glass Fanatic
welcome, tom. we look forward to hearing from you more often.

Post 29 Aug 2007, 08:02 • #104 
Administrator
Tom,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

I learned to fly fish when I lived in the Syracuse area. I didn't know how good I had it! This time of year, I really miss upstate New York.

Tom

Post 29 Aug 2007, 14:03 • #105 
Guide
Thank you for the nice welcome. I've lived and fished in W.N.Y. my whole life and just started fly fishing a little over two years ago. There is certaintly no shortage of places to fish or species to fish for in this region. I found this site about a year ago when I was searching for information on a South Bend Classic II glass rod (my first glass fly rod) I picked up in a local antique shop. I have to say that this is a great site. There are a lot of decent people here who have a vast knowledge about their passion and are willing to share it. I hope I can contribute something back to it. Thanks for having me.
Tom.

Post 30 Aug 2007, 01:33 • #106 
Administrator
We might have reached our quota of members named "Tom" on this site. Ha ...

Welcome Scooter2022.

Post 12 Sep 2007, 12:55 • #107 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I'm actually another Tom! I grew up in West Virginia fishing for smallmouth bass in the South Branch of the Potomac and of course the local farm pond for bluegills. I now live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Having been a teacher, I have had the advantage of free summers and so have been traveling to Montana, Wyoming and Idaho for thirty years or so to fish all those great western rivers - Silver Creek in Idaho being my favorite.

I confess to being a rabid Scott nut ever since I found my F70 and F79 at Dan Bailey's many years ago. I do sometimes use Scott's long graphite G series rods but there is nothing quite like the silky magic of those fiberglass rods that Harry Wilson and Larry Kenney created back in the 70's and early 80's. It was indeed alchemy as Ernest Schwiebert once wrote. (I must tell you that I was simply amazed when I saw that Larry Kenney participates in this forum - what an incredible resource! To me, it's like having Stradavari participating in an on-line violin forum.)

Post 12 Sep 2007, 17:15 • #108 
Where are you in the valley?I live just across the hump on the east side of the mountain.[in Greene county]
I fish the South Branch over around Franklin alot in the winter,not much in the summer.
Steve

Post 13 Sep 2007, 01:50 • #109 
Glass Fanatic
Steve,

I live about 10 miles northwest of Winchester, VA. I used to fish the South Branch in Romney,WV where we used to have a camp before the flood. I've heard that the river isn't the smallmouth fishery it used to be - same as the Shenandoah has gone down hill in recent years. They are blaming it on the runoff from the poultry industry. The west has its whirling disease and we have our chickens!

Tom

Post 14 Sep 2007, 01:28 • #110 
Emeritus
Hey folks, my name's not Tom. I guess I joined several months ago after lurking for a while, it's been busy and a lot of fun talking and learning on the board. I'm also on the ORCA board, tho they're stuff is sometimes a bit older and more esoteric than I'm up for.

We've lived for 18 years in Asheville in the western part of North Carolina. The fish aren't as big here generally as in other areas, except for the lake fishing I guess- I've traveled and fished but I wouldn't trade WNC for anywhere. Asheville can be a fun town, nice seasons here, altitude about 2650 ft. A few of the the closest waters (+/- one hour) are the Mills, Davidson, Pigeon, South Toe. I can bike to the Swannanoa or to Lake Powhatan but I've been too lazy to do it lately (but you see why I do like pack rods) ...

Shameless Plug Department: If you're ever interested in exploring the mountain fishing waters, we've run a guest cottage on our property for seven years and have had visitors from as far away as Japan, Argentina, the Phillipines, Cuba, England to name a few. I built it in 2000 after our family stayed in a thatch & stone lakeside cottage in NW Ireland (no, our cottage doesn't have a thatched roof). The website is www.terracecottage.com if you're curious.

Really enjoying the comments-

Kevin McGuire / middlemac

Post 15 Sep 2007, 02:47 • #111 
Glass Fanatic
Austin, Texas and I usually fish small creeks and rivers in the area, occassionally in the company of Boy Scouts but often just grabbing an hour here and there.

Six months ago I didn't even own an fg rod and got the first as a cheap alternative. Got the second because I liked the first, then started reading this board. Just goes to show, I'm still corruptable despite my age.

I have learned more about fly fishing in general from this board, all while enjoying the gracious company.

Post 15 Sep 2007, 09:27 • #112 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome mdwwhw,
You'll enjoy this type of fly fishing. There are folks like Ron Guadalupe Bass and others in your area on this site.
Les

Post 19 Sep 2007, 08:06 • #113 
Hi, New here. Love glass rods. Live in Ohio and fish mostly for trout either at the Mad River or Clearfork.

Post 19 Sep 2007, 08:32 • #114 
Well, I've been on for a month or so now, and thought I'd pitch in my contribution ...

I live in Chattanooga, TN. I fish below the dam here on the TN river for everything except catfish - LMB, Spotted Bass, White Bass, Yellow Bass, Striper, Hybrid, Bream, Crappie and skipjack (TN tarpon).

I don't do that too seriously though - I'm mainly a trout fisherman, so I fish the Hiwassee tailwater, the Tellico watershed, and the GSMNP waters. I'm addicted to 3wt rods and prefer small, wild trout water.

Jeff

Post 22 Sep 2007, 15:19 • #115 
Sport
I live in Gray, TN which is smack in the middle of the Tri-Cities
Kingsport, Bristol, and Johnson City. I primarily target tailwater trout on the weekends. On any weekend you'll find me somewhere on the South Holston or Watagua Rivers. Although I love to get out and fish for Bream, Smallies, and Carp also. I'm not originally from here. Moved here 6 years ago from Weirton, WV a suburb of Pittsburgh, PA.
Awesome site you guys have here
Josh

Post 30 Sep 2007, 17:08 • #116 
Guide
I am just south of Lawrence, KS (go Jayhawks), and primarily fish the wadable lakes and ponds within twenty miles here. I am falling in love with glass rods and loving it, just need a few vintage reels for them! If anyone is in the area here, let me know, I need some fishing partners.

Post 30 Sep 2007, 23:28 • #117 
Administrator
Welcome flyflingerandy. We can help with the need for vintage reels.

Check out the Classic Reels and For Sale areas of the board. A lot of nice gear changes hands here.

Post 01 Oct 2007, 00:55 • #118 
Administrator
There are several of us in the area Andy. I'm in south Overland Park for one.

Also, check out the Warmwater fishing articles by Joe Hyde on the Fly Angler's Online board. Find the Features section, then Warmwater, then click on the Archives link at the bottom of the page.

Tom

Post 06 Oct 2007, 12:44 • #119 
North of Boston near the border of NH. I've been fly fishing for about 5 years. Like to fish NH and central and western MA rivers & streams. Try to get up to Maine at least once per year. Have fished Grand Lake Stream, the Kenebago & the Rapid. Managed to fish SW Montana for several days a couple of years ago. Now I know a little bit what heaven will be like. Summer evenings will find me in my canoe fishing a pond ~ 1 mi. from home using small poppers for bass, bluegill and crappie.

Grew up in rural NW CT. My father was an avid fisherman - liked to use a fly rod with garden hackle in small brooks and streams. When I was 13-14 in the late '60s, my father sent to Herters for a fiberglass fly rod building kit (8'-6" 6 wght). I built that rod and fished it. Still have it.

Fiberglass rods I currently own & use - Fenwick FF706 and FF857. Recently was looking to add a couple of Browning Silaflexs. After browsing this site the past couple of week, wish list now numbers at least a couple of dozen makes & models and is still growing. You people willing to share all that awesome knowledge on this site are insidious. :D

Joel

Post 06 Oct 2007, 22:27 • #120 
Sport
Hi, I grew up fishing farm ponds in Pike County, Mo. Very little fly fishing though we did have one fly rod and recall some popper fishing in my teens. Fast forward 30 years later, very little fishing in between, my job takes me to Calgary, which I am sure all know is in southern Alberta, just north of Montana. An easy place to get hooked on flyfishing.
Now live in southern Quebec, about an hour and a half north of Burlington, Vt. During the week, after work, I fish a local big river for shad after work. Strictly dry fly fishing, with just about any fly size 14 to 16, and they get close enough to the boat to use a 7 ft 3 wt rod if you want.
Weekends, we bought a hill farm about an hour and a half east of Montreal, with a trout stream.

Historically a brook trout stream, typically get brookies 6 to 9 inches with occasional 12 incher.

But last week end I caught I caught a small brown.
Global warming?

Would post some pictures but the Insert buttons dont seem to work

Next new interest in fishing may be north central Mass. or southern NH. My son just started going to school in Winchendon.

Post 07 Oct 2007, 01:49 • #121 
Fishthebow:

The Millers River runs right near Winchendon. Also check out the Squannacook a bit further to the east and the Souhegan in southern NH. All of these fish well from early spring to June and again in the fall.

Joel

Post 07 Oct 2007, 07:41 • #122 
Sport
JoelK, thanks for the info, I will be there next weekend. Will check out the Millers. Thanks again. Don

Post 09 Oct 2007, 03:51 • #123 
Sport
The Arkansas Ozarks, fishing the White, Norfork, Spring and Taneycomo for trout. The Buffalo and Crooked Creek for smallies.
Dano

Post 09 Oct 2007, 04:15 • #124 
Master Guide
Welcome Dano ...

I remember reading your posts at the Ozark Anglers forum. I recently moved from FT Leonard Wood near Rolla to FT Hood in Central Texas.

I miss the rainbow trout fishing on the Little Piney at Mill Dam Hollow ... the smallies on the Gasconade ... the rock bass on the Roubedoux. But recent purchases of a glass Fenwick FF755 and FF806 have made the transition to Texas bass very enjoyable!

Good to have you here! I think you'll enjoy this place. TONS of good guys with lots of good information!

David

Post 09 Oct 2007, 04:35 • #125 
Sport
Thanks David, I do remember you from OAF and when you were at Ft. Hood. Hope all is well down that way.
Dano

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply