It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:57

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Nov 2006, 11:28 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I thought If we knew where everyone is and their fishing haunts were, We might be able to steer each other to some fish. Maybe even fish together. I travel a couple times of year for fishing. April 1,2 and 3 I'll be in Blue Ridge GA for some trophy trout fishing.

I live in Mid-coast Maine. Halfway between two of Maines fabled LL Salmon streams. The East outlet of Moosehead and Grandlake Stream. Both are Blue ribbon streams. This year I averaged 6 1/2 salmon per outing. Best average yet for me. Usually I average somewhere betwwen 3 and 4. If you plan on fishing Maine next year keep me in mind.

Looking forward to Spring
RFMcD

Post 10 Nov 2006, 11:35 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
i am from chino hills, california. that is in southern cal. i fish many of the local and often underated streams of the san gabriel mountains. i also fish salt when i visit my parents who live on catalina island. my favorite salt water quary is the bonito. so much fun on a fly rod. occasionally i hit the lower owens in the eastern sierras near bishop california. that is a winter venue for me. we pretty much can fish for wild trout year round here. some of your streams are remote and you have to work to get to them.

Post 10 Nov 2006, 12:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I am from Colorado but haven't lived there for a long time due to military service. Occasionally I return to SW Colorado and I plan to settle there in the future.

Currently I live in northern Florida where I can fish for bass and bluegill in the rivers here and speckled trout and reds in the salt. I tend to like freshwater fishing much more.

paveglass update: following retirement from the military, I have returned to SW Colorado. :-) Donny

Last edited by paveglass on 11 Sep 2011, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Nov 2006, 12:04 • #4 
Guide
I'm in Albany, NY.
Generally I'll fish local streams within 1 1/2-2 hrs. away. I'm a psychologist, so to stay sane myself I try and fish most Fridays from April until about now(got skunked on the Battenkill this afternoon). Favorite streams lately have been the Battankill, W.Canada Creek and the W. Branch of the Ausable in the Adirondacks. My wife's from Colorado, so I'm out on the Western Slope generally 1-2 times per year, often fishing some small streams I've found out there, as well as the Gunnison and Frying Pan when I can. One of my sons just moved to Portland, OR, so hopefully I'll get up there next Spring.
Made my first bamboo rod this past year, but I love the fiberglass rods I've acquired in the last 2 years, esp. a wonderful 5 wt.Wojnicki, a sweet 7' 4 wt. honey Lamiglas, and the 8.5' 4 wt. Diamondglass. I love this Board.
-Steve

Post 10 Nov 2006, 13:27 • #5 
Guide
I live in Juneau Alaska and fish on our limited road system for King, Pink, & coho salmon, steelhead, and dolly varden.

I lived in SF and Oakland, CA and fished throughout the western USA for fifteen years. I still fish Eagle Lake, CA some high Sierra, and near Walden, Colorado once every year or two.

If anyone is coming to Juneau on business or on a cruise ship, between May and September, I'd be happy to show some local fishing and lend fine non-collectible glass & tackle.

I am hundreds if not thousands of miles away from most of the more well known Alaska destinations.

Vinnie in Juneau

Post 10 Nov 2006, 14:12 • #6 
Emeritus
I live in Ann Arbor, MI (go blue). My home water is the Huron river which flows through south eastern Michigan. I fish for small mouth bass and carp in my local water. I also make many trips to the famous Au Sable river for trout which is about 3 hours away. If anyone is ever in my area, the best time to fish the Huron is during August. We have a huge hatch of Hexagenia Limbata and Hexagenia Atrocaudata that lasts the whole month. There is a small mouth feeding frenzy every night.

The best time to fish the Au Sable is anytime from the opener until early July. Many hatches. I usually spend 4 weeks spread out between late April and early July on the Au Sable.
Paul Christensen

Post 10 Nov 2006, 14:16 • #7 
I live in midtown Manhattan, so I fish mainly in the Catskills- EB & WB of the Delaware, Beaverkill and the Willowemoc. These are my "home" streams and I've been fishing them since I was a kid. Sometimes the Big Flatbrook in New Jersey. When we have time, we'll drive upstate to fish the Ausable near Lake Placid (my fave), or head west to Pennsylvania. I've also fished Colorado and Yellowstone.
Rods: 7 1/2' #5 Phillipson Epoxite, 7 1/2' #4 F.D. Lyons (glass), 7 1/2' #5/6 Russ Peak Zenith, 8' #6 Vince Cummings, 7' #3/4 Hexagraph, 8'3" #5/6 Hexagraph, 7 1/2' #4/5 PHY Perfectionist by James Beasley, 8' #5/6 PHY Para 15 by AJ, 7'7" #5 Pezon et Michel Colorado. Wife fishes 8' #4 graphite by Ron Kusse. She's happy with just one rod ...

Post 10 Nov 2006, 15:11 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I'm in Ft. Worth TX. I fish SE Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico and SW Colorado. I'd like to fish the Texas Hill Country but every time I get down there I end up at a party. I'm a die hard Steffen fan though I just ordered a Macfarland 4wt. I also like Scott glass. Hook 'em Horns.

Post 10 Nov 2006, 15:18 • #9 
Piscator
Bulverde, TX - north of San Antonio in the edge of the hill country.

The Guadalupe from its headwater springs down to the Canyon Lake tailrace is my home water.
grtu.org
upper Guadalupe, Pedernales
also fish the Pedernales from its headwaters, and occasionally go west to fish the Sabinal, Seco Creek, Frio, Nueces, and Devil's R.
www.thcrr.com/maps/
tomorrow morning, leaving to camp overnight and fish Nueces Canyon

www.chalkbluffpark.com/history1.html

Post 10 Nov 2006, 15:55 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I'm in Libby MT, which is in the very north west corner of the state. I have an amazing amount of water within an hours drive, all varieties of trout, large and small mouth bass, pike. The Kootenai river is the local "famous" river, it has lots of trout and whitefish, the occasional 20lb plus rainbow, and quite a few huge bull trout.
Have to drive three hours to find any carp to fish for, yet I do that a LOT in the summer.
Keith

Post 10 Nov 2006, 16:26 • #11 
FFR Founder
I live on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I fish mostly the kettle hole ponds here for bass and panfish. We also have trout in some of the ponds that grow fat on sea-run herring. I fish the salt for stripers and bluefish. Shad have been present in pretty good numbers lately too. I go up to New Hampshire to fish for trout and LL salmon. Used to fish Maine alot but haven't gotten there lately. Between the duck hunting and the fishing I'm happy to call the Cape home. Alec

Post 10 Nov 2006, 16:29 • #12 
Inactive
i'm from kansas city, mo. fish a lot of local conservation areas for bluegill, crappie and bass and have been surprised by the occasional catfish. for trout, i go to taneycomo or the white river in arkansas. also have relatives that live in the driftless area in wisconsin.

Post 10 Nov 2006, 17:38 • #13 
Master Guide
I fish in new york city lakes & then some other places. I grew up in Brooklyn NY and practice fly fishing there. An hours drive in any direction allows me to fish for just about anything.
I fish warm , cold and Salt water. I have some fenwicks, and other glass rods(see pictures under "RODS"). If you want to fish in NYC, see me.

Bill

Post 10 Nov 2006, 20:08 • #14 
Administrator
Originally, I'm from the Boston suburbs. But I now live just southwest of Kansas City where I fish the local ponds for bass and panfish.

I intend to travel and trout fish more in the future. I met up with Andymanyankee a few weeks ago on the Farmington River in Connecticut. I had a great time. If not for this board, I would have been fishing alone.

If I could move to a dream location, it would be Outer Cape Cod. Alec, I'm seriously jealous.

Tom

Post 10 Nov 2006, 22:43 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
i live a bit north and east of Seattle. to catch healthy rainbows i drive an hour to the Yakima River. for salmon and steelhead, i drive two minutes to the Skykomish River. its tributaries are repleat with spunky (read smallish) cutts. unfortunately, the Sky is way out of shape from the floods and is still loaded with debris. it's amazing how much devastation such a beautiful river can cause when you add a little extra rain. The Skykomish, Snoqualmie and Stilliguamish rivers empty into the Puget Sound and are very nice searun cutthroat fisheries. our estuaries are very untapped and it's easy to find solitude on these coastal waters. it's a wonderful place for me and my 3 young sons to grow up.
-mike

Post 11 Nov 2006, 02:36 • #16 
Administrator
I grew up in Michigan ... married and moved to Colorado for a year and a half ... and then my Southern Bride was ready to move closer to home ... and we've been in the Columbia, S.C. area for the past six years or so. Her family has a private 100 acre pond with some BIG bass (somebody caught a 13 plus pound bass this summer), and all the other warm water species.

I spend a lot of time up in North Carolina on the slender and tree covered trout streams there.

And we usually take quite a few trips each year which somehow involve fly fishing. We'll be out in Seattle/Forks, WA the first week in December (anyone have any good info for there?), out West (Colorado or Utah) this winter to ski and I hope to take at least a half day somewhere, Michigan this summer to see the family, and Maine on a guy trip next fall for a week (RFMcD ... check your inbox please).

Anyone heading this way let me know ... I have a pretty flexable work schedule most of the time.

Post 11 Nov 2006, 04:53 • #17 
I live in Southwest Vermont - Dorset. Fish the local waters around here - Battenkill, Mettowee, Otter, and many of the other streams, ponds, etc. I still have and fish the first fly rod & reel I got as a 14 year old - Wonderrod and Medalist reel. Picked up many fiberglass rods over the years - have many graphite rods too, but, something about the way fiberglass fishes keeps me on the look out for the rods. Favorite seems to be an older Lamiglas 7 1/2' 5wt. 2 piece as all around rod. Just picked up a Scott 6'6" 2wt. this summer and that is the most fun rod to fish that I have ever fished - just limited in what it can do. Also have a 5 star Conolon 7' 6wt. dry fly action that is really a pleasure to cast and get a fish on.

Post 11 Nov 2006, 04:55 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I live in Atlanta (Decatur). Fish mostly the mountains of north GA and western NC, more smaller streams than tailwaters. Still have family in FL, primarily Gainesville where I grew up, but some coastal too. But probably haven't averaged more than once a year in FL, etither fresh or salt.

A friend bought a house in Bozeman for retirement, and I've been getting out there for a week or so for the last few years. And I'm working a guy who is set to retire south of Missoula in a couple of years.

Bob

P.S. I've got "Georgia" in my profile, and often check what's in there for other posters when a post talks about "here" or "locally," but most don't have the info. Never looking for secret spots, but I enjoy it when I know whether I'm reading about (or seeing) a stream in Michigan or Oregon.

Post 11 Nov 2006, 05:12 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Results already. I see many people from places that I have fished or that I wish to fish. Georgia, Vermont (my home state. I married a girl from Manchester, a daughter of the Battenkill) Michigan, I fished in Honor in '73 and caught my biggest rainbow 8# 4 oz. Oregon is on my short list. Lets keep it up and make some connections here. I see time and money to be the only things lacking for myself.
RFMcD

Post 11 Nov 2006, 05:30 • #20 
Master Guide
I'm in central IN now, up from KY. Just moved in the last year or so, and I'm looking around for smallmouth streams. When I lived in KY I could go out almost on the spur of the moment. Here, I have to plan the trips, so they come fewer and farther between. Sigh.

I grew up in Pasadena, CA, and about yearly make the pilgrimage back to So Cal to fish for trout in the San Gabriel Mtns. . . lpirrone(!). . . oh, and to take my son to see the grandparents! I grew up going to Mammoth Lakes in the High Sierra for our yearly vacations. I learned to fish there. Every once in a long while we get to go back. . .

Fish on!
-Peter

Post 11 Nov 2006, 05:36 • #21 
Master Guide
Knoxville, Tennessee. It's about 35 miles to the GSMNP boundary, then a little further still to get into the "shaggy" old growth forest that used to be:

Post 11 Nov 2006, 11:24 • #22 
Sport
Originally, I'm from St. Louis (Chesterfield), Mo and for 25 plus years I enjoyed fishing the state parks; streams; rivers and creeks in Missouri and Northern Arkansas.

One provision of my plea bargain (it was only a box of papers clips and a few No. 2 lead pencils) was that the company could send me to any city in our network regardless of the living conditions. I've been in Houston now for the past 20 years. I like to affectionately refer to it as the a_ _hole of Texas. THERE IS NO FISHING HERE!

Good post. I've enjoyed reading about the more fortunate.

Depressed,
ed

Post 11 Nov 2006, 13:24 • #23 
Guide
I was born in Berkshire county Massachusetts (near our glassclave!), and started fly tying when I was 12, and fly fishing a few months after that. I fished a glass Browning 8' 6 weight from the start and used it exclusively until I was 17. I then bought an Orvis 8' 6 weight graphite rod (having bought in to the hype) and hated it, kinda killed my love of fly fishing for many years (it was expensive).

In the past five years I moved to the Adirondacks and have begun fly fishing again. I quickly gravitated to glass. I now build lots of glass rods and get to fish in the wilderness for wild brook trou (just like when I was a kid in MA), in streams that I am often the only person to fish in all year. It's the greatest situation ever.

Post 11 Nov 2006, 17:55 • #24 
Sport
I'm from westerm Massachusetts, very near where the corners of VT and NH touch MA. I fish all over these three states at every possible chance i get, but my favorite types of water are wadeable rivers, small ponds where i can take my kayak or canoe, and seceret brook trout streams. Always enjoy fishing with new people, does anyone else live near me?

Post 11 Nov 2006, 19:46 • #25 
Guide
Rcream,
Which town are you from (Greenfield)? I'm from Adams, same general area, but farther west. Great place to grow up.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply