It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Jan 2013, 18:10 • #1 
Guide
Well I have no idea what this is. I saw the aluminum down locking reel seat and the Fenwick grip and bought it. Anyone know anything about this rod. SF905

Last edited by glassman on 18 Jan 2013, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Jan 2013, 18:54 • #2 
Guide
Here is a link to the sell. Made in Tiawan. Could this be glass? It looks cool thats why I bought it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300770787891?ss. .. 1439.l2649

Post 18 Jan 2013, 19:24 • #3 
Master Guide
Graphite. I had a 6wt one and regret selling it. Give it a fair shake and see what happens.

Post 18 Jan 2013, 20:03 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
You purchased one of my all time favorite fly rods. I love my Streamer. My 905 is on my "Never sell for any reason" list. Fortunately you bought the older model Streamer. Fenwick released a new model a couple years back that is crap compared to this fine rod. My experience is a moderate rod that casts almost effortlessly. I think owners keep their Streamers because one rarely sees them for sale. The wraps are a gorgeous color.

Post 25 Jan 2013, 14:32 • #5 
Guide
I called Fenwick today. After being on hold for some time they said the early Streamer rods were a fiberglass/graphite mix. Other than that not a lot of info on it.

Walter

Post 25 Jan 2013, 19:44 • #6 
Guide
I have the 7 1/2 ft 5 weight, finding out that it might have some glass in it, explains the nice slow action. It just never felt like the other graphite rods I have cast. Now I know why.
Barck

Post 27 Jan 2013, 00:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I once had the 7 1/2 5 wt. Gave it to a man who did not have a 5 wt. Lucky we who own the Streamer.

Post 07 Feb 2013, 18:42 • #8 
Master Guide
I had the same rod in the 8 1/2 foot model for several years and found it to be an easy casting, nice progressive action that fished up close and far with ease. I gave the rod to my youngest grandson last year, and he is having a ball with it. I bought it off the bay for about $60 brand new. If you get a chance to pick one up, you will find it a good, all around rod.

Post 06 Jun 2014, 21:41 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I just picked an SF905-2. Made in Taiwan, Graphite but with a significant swing weight and slow (maybe some glass in it). It casts with a 4wt or 5wt (I haven't had the chance to try a 6wt line on it yet). It's a little light for casting the streamers that I usually fish, but will be really nice for small poppers and light streamers.

Post 11 Apr 2015, 10:04 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
As I was taking pictures to sell the rod, I put a 6wt on this rod and it came alive. I think it is underrated as a 5wt. With a 6wt line, it really bends into the butt section. It is a nice complement to an 8' 6wt fenwick. Slower than the ff806, but just as powerful. I really like the way it roll casts (on the lawn, I didn't try it on the water).

When I was casting it with a 5wt line, it cast fine, but just didn't feel right to me (your mileage may vary).

Post 07 May 2015, 12:04 • #11 
Master Guide
I ended up buying this rod from Carl. I think he may regret selling it. This is not a bad six. I thought I would share some pics of the bend below. The first is with 2.5 onces which is similar to 79.9 gram bolt Fenwick used to deflect some of their rods. The second it with five ounces. I would suggest to anyone to take a look at one of these if you like softer rods. If I had my druthers, I woud either stiffen up some areas of the butt and put a seven on it or soften up some areas and use the six...

Last edited by ffftroutbum on 08 May 2015, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 May 2015, 14:20 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
ffftroutbum, You do have a setup there for static deflection testing I'm interested in the flex profile without any weight. I will have to play with building a setup like this.

That flex profile is telling. After I put a 6wt line on this rod, I really liked it. It is a nice rod for a slow, 9' 6wt.
I may regret selling it, but I think I will get more use out of my 8' 6wt Fenwicks. If I really wanted the longer, slow 6wt, this would be on my short list.

Post 08 May 2015, 00:27 • #13 
Master Guide
Carl, I bought that little rig from Mudhole. Looks like they no longer sell it. But it appears it is still available at Swapland Tackle - I have no financial interest. The link is http://swamplandtackle.com/Backlash_Too ... tails.aspx.

You can probably build something too.

Post 08 May 2015, 00:34 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
The Streamer 905-2 is the best graphite 5 wt I ever used. To me it is a true 5 wt. Did not sell it, but I gave it to a friend of mine who wanted to learn the sport . I really miss that rod.

Post 11 May 2015, 14:10 • #15 
Master Guide
Any opinions on the 8wt? I just got one for a song.

Post 11 May 2015, 14:24 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
^ No idea. It is true that action can differ rod weight to rod weight. I think you will like it though. Also a subtly pretty rod, expeciallly the wrap color.

Post 11 May 2015, 14:28 • #17 
Master Guide
It does look nice. I plan to use it along with my glass fenwick 8wt for pike/tiger muskie fishing when the real big flies aren't needed. There's an impressive fighting butt on it.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 20:49 • #18 
Guide
I still haven’t figured out the protocols on this forum. Maybe I am intellectually challenged.
But I think this is the correct way to continue this discussion.
Did anyone ever figure out if these are actually glass/ graphite composites?
This is an SF-866-2
And if it was only the earlier versions, how does one differentiate?
If has the same aluminum reel seat as described above.
It was one of those buy now, make an offer, mislabeled model number, fishing pole listings that I came across late at night. Too good of a deal to miss an opportunity for another addition to the quiver.
The nicest Long Beach FF-90 aluminum tube came with it as a bonus. I needed one of those more than I need another rod. Lol.

Thanks for any additional information you can provide.
The Streamer logo with the feather is Trade Marked. Someone must owned it at one time. I guess I will have to scour the Trademark database. Hope it is not too difficult. Probably have to wade through hundreds of Woodstream trademarks before I stumble across it. Trademarks are harder to research than Patents in my opinion. You need to keep opening jpegs till you find the right one. 90% do not have thumbnails and there doesn’t seem to be any logic to the organization. Worse with international ones.

Post 02 Mar 2023, 20:25 • #19 
Administrator
Typically reviving an 8 year dead thread isn't very productive.

Despite all the advertising hype in the 70s/80s/90s graphite rods had fiberglass in them. A layer of glass was used to add 'hoop' fibers to the hollow rod blank. Eventually graphite fibers became thin enough they could bend sufficiently to be used as hoop fibers. Hoop fibers keep the rod blank round and the axial fibers from splitting apart when the rod is bent. You can't live without them in a hollow rod blank.

As far as telling the difference between new and old, perhaps do a Google image search for "Fenwick Streamer" and there may be photos of both versions. There will likely be a lot of noise to wade through.

Tom

Post 03 Mar 2023, 13:53 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Older threads: Consider that some of the original participants aren't reading or posting any more. Those who are might need a refresher, and new readers definitely need background. That doesn't mean the whole old thread needs to be rediscussed. And if the old thread shows any old wounds, they aren't worth scratching, even if there is a point of interest worth further inquiry.

Rather than tacking on a much-belated reply, a separte New Topic with reference to any background is best. Typically, something like this: "After reviewing the old discussion here ( link to discussion or individual post in it) , I wanted to [mention, add, ask about . . .] [the new question or information]"

Post 03 Mar 2023, 23:35 • #21 
Guide
Thanks to both of you for your guidance.
I feel sometimes that I get accused of making transgressions that I do not intend or even understand and I am starting to get gun shy about posting. I am really enthusiastic about this forum and believe I can contribute information that folks may have not yet come across.
I typically try to exhaust all what I believe are pretty comprehensive research tactics before I post questions while always remaining open to additional information and fully expecting to have overlooked the obvious.
In this case, I have found one photo of the previously discussed 9’ 5wt and 3 postings of the 8.5’ 6wt for sale on another forum.
What I noticed is a big gap in the Fenwick history between 1988 and 2000. Right around that time Fenwick was bought by Berkley.
The “streamer” was trademarked by Berkley USA around 1992-1994 and expired in 2000 despite other databases saying it is still alive.
But at that time Berkley International which eventually established Pure Fishing was headquartered in Taiwan and had control of the Fenwick trademarks. Primarily for the Japanese market but some rods made their way to US distribution. That accounts for many rods labeled Fenwick Taiwan including the Classics without much documentation. I realize now that the production history for that era is either lost or is written in Mandarin or Cantonese which I read neither.
I probably won’t find much more about this other than that a few folks love it. Labeled as a 6wt, my impression is that it feels like a medium action 5 wt. Only experimentation will determine what works for me. Others might have different opinions.
Thank you both for your suggestions.

New Topic Add Reply