It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:03

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next New Topic Add Reply
Small Stream Fanatic
Post 13 Oct 2012, 16:10 • #1 
Guide
I like small streams. Given the choice of floating some famous trout stream "out west" or exploring the unknown up a small creek, I'll take the small creek every time. I like the feeling of the unknown when you round a bend or climb over a fall. I like going back to a creek I've seen on a drive in the mountains when I didn't have time to fish. I like coming back to the stream as the seasons change to see what it looks like. And I like the wild colorful fish that live there and the flex they put in a fiberglass rod. It seems like the colors of fish are different in every stream, even if they are located close to one another. I like looking at pictures of small streams from lands afar. Many of my hours are occupied by thoughts of standing in a familiar small stream where I've had countless memorable days in the past. More hours are consumed looking for or building a fiberglass rod to try on a certain stream.

Let this be known as the small stream thread for small stream fiberglass fanatics. Feel free to post pictures of your favorite stream, trip reports of a new stream you've fished, pictures of fish from small streams, and pictures of fiberglass rods you fished on a small stream. Pictures of small streams in other countries are especially welcome (I'm talking to you, Japan).

Last edited by mcfly on 13 Oct 2012, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Small Stream Fanatic
Post 13 Oct 2012, 16:28 • #2 
Guide
I took a day off to fish GSMNP this week and visited a few familiar streams. October is my favorite time of year to fish the park. Browns are on the move. Brookies are in full color. Leaves are starting to turn, are turning, have turned, or have fallen depending on the elevation. Water temps have cooled, but are still warm enough for wet wading, and hatches pick up again until winter sets in. Standing in a creek with color exploding all around, leaves gently falling all about, bugs coming off, and fish rising while exposed in the open is an experience I look forward to year round. Enjoy ...

More to come ...

Last edited by mcfly on 13 Oct 2012, 20:24, edited 3 times in total.

Post 13 Oct 2012, 16:36 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent! Small waters are my favorite and preferred way of fishing for both warm and cold water.

Post 13 Oct 2012, 17:01 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Me too ... aurelio

Post 13 Oct 2012, 18:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
That's some of the best solitary angling out there ...

Les

Post 13 Oct 2012, 18:04 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
that looks like my home waters here in northern vermont ... a month ago. nice. enjoy.

Post 13 Oct 2012, 18:55 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yup ...

NoddingMyHeadInTotalAgreement

Post 13 Oct 2012, 19:21 • #8 
Sport
Great shots. Vibrant.

Post 13 Oct 2012, 22:25 • #9 
Master Guide
I love small streams too. I also enjoy large and open western waters as I find them to be very easy on the psyche, but it's the intimate small streams with their rock gardens and beauty in miniature that I find almost spiritual. It always amazes me when I look up from my fishing to realize just how much time has gone by ...

Post 14 Oct 2012, 01:20 • #10 
Guide
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

That is what I was hoping the thread would inspire, Holdover. Nice pics! I hope others will follow your lead. Which state were those pictures taken in? Have any pictures of fish from that drink?

Please, everyone and anyone, post your favorite small stream pics or pics from a recent trip to a small stream. Include fish pics, pics of the rod you are using, and anything else interesting that you see. Tell us which state, national park, or country in which they were taken. Tell us about the experience. If you don't have any pics, use this as motivation to get out and take some.

Post 14 Oct 2012, 03:49 • #11 
Master Guide
The stream is in the coastal mountains of California. It has everything I need to recharge the batteries; a bit of solitude, some nature, and lots of pretty little trout. Best of all it's close enough to home that I can fish it after work.

Higher in the drainage the fish are darker with larger spots.

Post 14 Oct 2012, 09:04 • #12 
Sport
SC PA, October 6. This is a mixed wild brook char and brown trout stream, though downstream sections do get stocked, unfortunately.

It may not look like it here, but there were lots of leaves and pine needles on the water. Lots of walnuts crashing down as well, which got me wondering if I should look for my old hard hat.

The water temperature was up enough that I didn't see any brook char pairing up for the spawn. The browns don't kick into spawning gear until November. And anyway, if they rise to a dry fly, they're fair game in my book.

On a day when there is so much on the water in various shades of yellow, tan and orange, I like to use a fly that is as black as possible to separate it from the foliage. Further, there are crickets in amazing numbers from size #20 to #8, with #16 being fairly common. I used a # 14 all black EHC with a sighter tied in at the wing.

Post 14 Oct 2012, 09:34 • #13 
Guide
beautiful places! I love fishing those mountain creeks too! always unexpected on the next bend!

Post 14 Oct 2012, 09:48 • #14 
Master Guide
NICE!

Post 14 Oct 2012, 16:25 • #15 
Guide
Nice, Holdover. I wouldn't have guessed California based on those first pics. That second rainbow looks healthy!

DGCpa, Nice pics too! I love finding smooth, slower sections of small streams like those in your pics, especially when they are full of browns rising to dries! I don't target them while they're spawning, but I definitely do while they are feeding pre and post spawn.

Post 15 Oct 2012, 01:08 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
ImageImage

my youngest son rocking his little shakespeare batman rod with a bobber and a bugger. i'm using my old FF706 (which i sadly sold/sent overseas to an FFR member). this little tributary to the skykomish river here in washington is home to some remarkable little cutties! a few years back i caught a 13" monster rainbow. ;D

Post 19 Oct 2012, 18:33 • #17 
Master Guide
What a great fishing post! Love the photo's also

Post 20 Oct 2012, 00:25 • #18 
I've got some great small streams around my area as well, just can't post pics at the moment.

I prefer the small streams..about zero fishing pressure, and its like a new adventure around every bend!

Post 20 Oct 2012, 05:44 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I love the solitude and beauty and peace found there and the feeling that at least here there is hope for the world.

"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patters that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
— Cormac McCarthy

Post 20 Oct 2012, 09:26 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Another Creek Freak here! This is turning into a beautiful thread.

Post 22 Oct 2012, 19:20 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I agree, small streams are the way to go. It's real Trout fishing IMHO. I cut my teeth for years up and down the east. But don't think for a moment there are no small streams out west. It's just that no one writes about them. Thank Goodness!

Post 23 Oct 2012, 09:10 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Hellmtflies wrote:
But don't think for a moment there are no small streams out west. It's just that no one writes about them.

A couple authors have let the cat out of the bag ... John Gierach, Jeff Morgan and Dave Hughes to name a couple.

Post 23 Oct 2012, 09:34 • #23 
Master Guide
Small stream fly fishing is probably my favorite type of fishing as well. I hope to have some excellent photos to contribute next spring when my life slows down a bit. Until then, I wanted to share a couple photos of two new small stream reels I picked up. They are both Abel TR Light reels. There's something aesthetically pleasing to me about a tiny 2.5" reel on a short ultralight fly rod.

I hope to pair this reel with a 6'8" 3wt. white glass blank that Mike McFarland is making me.

And I already plan on pairing this reel with a 5'9" 3wt. yellow glass blank that Mike McFarland made me. I'll probably start on this rod pretty soon. The rod blank feels amazing and I think it is going to be a lot of fun on a few small creeks that I love fishing.

Colt

Post 23 Oct 2012, 09:40 • #24 
Master Guide
Simply beautiful shots.

Post 23 Oct 2012, 10:16 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
A few of my favorite small stream spots ...

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next New Topic Add Reply