It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:45

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Dec 2005, 05:11 • #1 
Just got a PC-5C Custom Parametric 5-piece pack rod (6' 10"),wondering if anyone knows what line weight it likes?

Post 22 Dec 2005, 16:31 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
hey nowata,
i got one a while back and ended up fishing it with a cortland peach 444 in a wf6f. i didn't try many lines with it so you might want to experiment some. i like the peach 444 for many of my glass rods, but that's just me. good luck.
tonemike

Post 23 Dec 2005, 06:22 • #3 
Mike, thanks. I knew some of the short rods were 6 wts but not which. How do you like it?

Post 23 Dec 2005, 08:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
IF that is the fly/spin rod, I had one of those, much nicer with 4 or 5wt. I sure wanted to strip the spin guides off and put on snakes, but it was so pretty and virgin I just couldn't do it. MIne can in a kit with reel and line, line was not labeled, but sure looked/cast like a 4wt, it was a DT.

Post 23 Dec 2005, 20:27 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
hey majicwrench,
i had the same dilemna ... keep the original spinning guides or put decent snake guides on it? i left mine alone. mine came in a hard plastic wood-like box containing a Berkley spincasting reel and a nice little Berkley 540 (a hardy featherweight knock off). i still may re-wrap it. i'm glad you mentioned trying a 4 and 5wt line on it. i liked it alright with the wf6f, but i wasn't thrilled with it. i actually liked it less than my 5pc Berkley buccaneer (supposedly a lesser rod). i bet your line suggestion will make quite a difference.

hey nowata,
i'd put more stock in majicwrench's line suggestion than mine. i'll try mine with a dt4 and a few different 5wts over the holidays and report back.
-mike

Post 25 Dec 2005, 13:56 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The 5pc Bucaneer rod is a better 5/6 and is a fun rod. The para/metric 5pc is a much softer full flexing rod. At the time I had both, I weighed em both, don't remember numbers but the 6'10" para was way lighter than the Bucaneer.
Looking forward to your report tonemike!

Post 27 Dec 2005, 07:19 • #7 
Mine came with a horrible Berkley spinning reel and a nice little 540, and that has what I think is a 5 wt line on it. I haven't had a chance to lawn-cast it yet because in Brooklyn we don't have lawns, but I'm going to take it to the park on Saturday morning before the stockbrokers get there with their shi-tzu's and try a few different weights. I may go ahead and change the guides because it isn't cherry by any means. It's definitely full-flex. I have another short parametric, an F404, I think (it's supposed to be 7' but it actually measures about 6"10") which I consider truly fast, too fast for my style anyway, but a nice delicate close-in rod. Let me know what you think about the 5 wt.

Post 27 Dec 2005, 15:26 • #8 
Master Guide
hey, you live in BROOKLYN? I live on lincoln road. i just picked up a few fenwick rods. before the lake froze, i fished them near the boat house.

Bill

Post 29 Dec 2005, 09:00 • #9 
Any luck?

Post 31 Dec 2005, 23:43 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
hey majicwrench & co.,
i finally got out to cast my 5pc parametric yesterday. it was very cold and i could only get out to a nearby lake, but at least i was able to wet the line. we've all said this many times, but again, i'm surprised what difference a different fly line will make! the last time i casted the parametric, i preferred my buccaneer over it ... but then agian, i only tried two different lines on it. this time around, i tried the parametric with 6 different lines, and i liked each one better than the wf6 peach 444 (a line i really like). the dt4 rio classic trout line was only decent over 20 feet, and i didn't think the wf4 sylk 555 loaded the rod enough period. an old wulff triangle taper 5/6 was really nice untill a decent wind came up, but it loaded well in close and cast "distance" nicely. have any of you cut a foot or two off a wulff TT line to make it a bit more like the mastery nymph or bass bug taper? anyway, a standard wf5 olive 555 was pretty good too, but my favorite was an older dt5 (cortland) 444 that i got pre-loaded on an older medalist 1494. to me, with my self-taught casting style (using that term very loosely), the latter line was clearly the best. and i really enjoyed casting this 5pc parametric much more than i had in the past. it was kinda like discovering something neat that i didn't know i had.
hope everyone had a safe new years eve.
-tonemike

New Topic Add Reply