It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:39

New Topic Add Reply
McFarland Fiberglass
Post 13 Jan 2006, 14:47 • #1 
Back in December, I bought a McFarland fiberglass blank off of eBay (8'0", 3 piece 5wt) on a chance. I'm glad I did. Here's the story.

When the blank arrived, my initial reaction was "this is a Lamiglas that's been coated". It had a beautiful slightly reddish brown finish on it like the old Fishers, but the yellow/honey spigot ferrules of the Lamis. Then I weighed and measured it: Compared to the similar model from Lamiglas, it's thinner in the butt section (0.440 vs. 0.510) and more than 1/2 oz lighter (1.55 vs 2.25 oz.). Mike isn't saying who builds is blanks, except that they are built to his specs and tapers. BTW, I believe that when Dwight Lyons as making fiberglass rods, he had a similar deal with Lamiglas, i.e., blanks made to his specs.

It's finished out now and it is truly a great rod. If I wasn't so hung up on bamboo, I'd use this exclusively on my home water (medium sized Appalachian stream). It's light in the hand (total weight = 2.90 oz. including a S/L aluminum seat) and throws beautiful loops and can even shoot a little line. The Lamis I've had in the 7'6" and 8'0" lengths seemed a little clunky to me, but this one is really different.

I'm going to try to include some pictures. This one's a keeper.

--Rich

members.aol.com/rmargiotta/mcfarland1.jpg
members.aol.com/rmargiotta/mcfarland2.jpg
members.aol.com/rmargiotta/mcfarland3.jpg
members.aol.com/rmargiotta/mcfarland4.jpg

McFarland Fiberglass
Post 13 Jan 2006, 15:30 • #2 
Guide
Rich!

Thanks for the information on the rod. Great detective work, though I wonder if you shouldn't watch a little less CSI ... 8-)

I looked at McFarland glass rods, but kept hearing they were simply Lami blanks, and like you, I thought the Lamis I'd cast were just a little on the clunky side.

I'll have to bring my Steffen out this spring, and we'll compare the two.

BTW -- the rod looks great.

TC

TC

McFarland Fiberglass
Post 13 Jan 2006, 16:23 • #3 
Tom:

This rod definitely not clunky. It really feels balanced and responsive. The 8'0" 3 piece 3/4wt Steffen I built (another beauty) weighs 3.10 oz, while this one weighs 2.90, but there is 0.30 difference in reel seat weight (the Steffen has a light weight N/S S/L seat) so you can see the McFarland is in the zone.

BTW, I like the 6'6" and 7'0" 3wt Lamis just fine. It's the 7'6" 4wt and 8'0" 5wt that feel a bit unwieldy.

--Rich

McFarland Fiberglass
Post 13 Jan 2006, 19:11 • #4 
FFR Founder
Rich that's a beauty - thanks for the pics. Glad you jumped back in about the Lami's as I was going to protest about there being nutin' clunky about the 6'6" 3 weight ... 0]
I like the color of the McFarland alot.
Cheers, Alec

McFarland Fiberglass
Post 14 Jan 2006, 05:47 • #5 
Master Guide
Rich--

If you wake up one morning to find a big, bald guy on your doorstep, remember you only have yourself to blame.:lol I'd really appreciate a "fishing report" of both the McFarland and Steffan Bros. when you take them out--they've got to be sweet rods.

Jon

McFarland Fiberglass
Post 14 Jan 2006, 07:30 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Lovely rod, Rich. Nice thread choice, and I like the blank color a lot. Is there a website we could learn more about McFarland blanks and rods?
Bob

McFarland Fiberglass
Post 14 Jan 2006, 07:44 • #7 
Guide
www.mcfarlandrods.com/Spruce_series.asp

McFarland Fiberglass
Post 15 Jan 2006, 16:32 • #8 
Emeritus
Just a note,
I met Mike Mcfarland at a show in Michigan last year. Again he would not disclose the maker of his blanks. However, I do know that Mike buys the blanks in one piece and cuts and ferrules them himself.
Ribs

New Topic Add Reply