It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Jan 2006, 17:44 • #1 
Guide
The weather around SE PA has been unseasonably warm so I located my Lamiglass in the garage to take it midging on a local stream. This was the same stretch that I used earlier with another glass (Fisher blank 7'2" 3wt) so I could evaluate the difference.

This is a honey of a stick (pun) and I used a GPX DT with it. It doesn't flex as deeply as the Fisher, but is progressive with an intuitive feel - not quite point'n shoot but accurate and provides lots of feedback, especially when a trout is registering disagreement with steel in its mouth.

The tip is fairly sensitive and has enough mass that hooking up with 8X and #22-26 midges is easy as pie when I either raise the rod or just give the rod a wiggly flip.

I didn't try to go to the other end of the spectrum and try chucking weight, double fly rigs or streamers, but this Lami feels like it would be amenable.compared to my small graphites or canes and the Fisher, the bigger butt of the Lami ought to be fine for bushier flies on pockets of small streams too. When it warms up, that application will be on the agenda.

Maybe I ought to try a Phoenix silk on it when summer comes - might make for some interesting Tricoing, though I have a phobia about using light colored rods on most spring creeks.

tl
les

Post 23 Jan 2006, 19:00 • #2 
Guide
Thanks for the report, though in the future, I'm going to have to ask you not to confuse me with a lot of technical jargon like "wiggly flip." 8-)

Now you've gotta buy the Diamondglass 7' 3wt and compare it to the first two. When your wife objects, tell her you're doing it purely in the interests of science ...

Tom Chandler

Post 23 Jan 2006, 22:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
that's great tom!
even though my father recently retired after 35 years with NASA, my wife gets a bit uneasy when i try to do anything purely in the interests of science. :lol
-mike

Post 24 Jan 2006, 08:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It is a good stick. I regularly throw bushy flies, often with a beadhead underneath, and have fished it with considerable weight. It has performed well in about every situation you'd want a 7' 3 wt. for, and has often come through even though it wasn't the best choice to carry that day. One of those you choose more often than you really should, just because it is so sweet.

Bob

New Topic Add Reply