It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:33

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Diamondglass rods
Post 11 Jun 2005, 02:31 • #1 
What opinions does anyone have of Diamondglass rods? I'm thinking of either the 8ft 4wt 2pc or the 7ft 5wt 3pc. .. any experience with either? Can any of their rods handle one line wt heavier?

Thanks much

Diamondglass rods
Post 11 Jun 2005, 07:47 • #2 
Guide
I've cast them both. The 8' 4wt is a great all-around rod, maybe just a tiny bit slower than the 7.5' 3wt, which I didn't like as much. I think the 7.5' would fish one line weight heavier at very close range, but I'm not sure the 8' rod would fish well one line weight heavier.

I like longer rods so i like the 8' 4wt better -- but then, I like the 8.5' 4wt best of all.

Take care,
TC

Diamondglass rods
Post 11 Jun 2005, 11:33 • #3 
Have the 8' 4wt. - love it - fish it with a 5 wt. often - great all around rod.

Diamondglass rods
Post 11 Jun 2005, 13:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have the 8 ft 5 wt and you could fish it with a 6 without difficulty. Might even fish a little better although the 5 wt is pretty sweet ... but when I do have a complaint it is that it feels a bit fast with a short line out. A 6 would work well then. This rod has plenty of oomph to spare if you need to lean into the butt section.

Earlier strings from the Pleosticene era pretty much confirmed that the 7 1/2 ft 3 wt 2 pc, really fished better as a 4, but that the 7 ft 3 wt 3 pc really was a 3wt.

paveglass

Diamondglass rods
Post 11 Jun 2005, 14:23 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I had gotten the 8'6"/3 #4 this past November. I commented after a few outings "so far, so good". Now that it looks older than it's age I'll state my final review: awesome rod! It's now my "go to" on spring creeks and larger water. Rolls, mends, and cast with authority. I also use the 7'0" #4 on a small stream I fish a lot ... very good. I've a new 7'6" #3 I've yet to fish. The streams are drying up fast though ...

Diamondglass rods
Post 11 Jun 2005, 15:38 • #6 
Guide
Pave;

I wonder if you don't have an early 8' Diamondglass. A local rodbuilder got an early blank and it was definitely a fast 5/6, though I've cast a recent model 8' 4wt and it was a lighter actioned rod -- a true 4/5.

Thought I'd muddy the waters a bit ...

TC

Diamondglass rods
Post 12 Jun 2005, 02:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
It is from the early production and it is a marvelous rod ... but the Diamondglass rods and the new Lamiglass blanks have graphite in them. That makes them a bit faster and a bit lighter. You can get a sense of it if you compare the older Shakespeare Ugly Sticks with the newer Ugly Stick Lite.

I just really like slow rods on small streams unless I've got a fair amount of line out. With a soft rod, even 10 ft can feel like a cast.

paveglass

Diamondglass rods
Post 05 Jul 2005, 13:18 • #8 
I have an 8' 4 wt. and fish it with both 4 and 5 wt. lines. It is a great rod. I also have a 7' 3 piece 3 wt. I was in some pretty rugged country over the 4th and used the 7' Diamondglass with a 4 wt. Sylk DT instead of one of my usual bamboo rods. I have two bamboo rods in 7' 4 wt. and one 7' 2/3 wt. The Diamondglass is every bit as accurate and fun to cast as the boo rods and even though it is a 3 wt., it likes that Sylk 4 DT up close in the mountain streams. I had a blast and caught brookies untill it was too dark to see. Getting back to the car was an adventure though.

Diamondglass rods
Post 06 Jul 2005, 03:10 • #9 
Guide
It has been stated before in another thread but these glass rods seem to have a faster or crisper action in the two piece vs. the three piece. Pave, I have to agree that you should try out another 8' 5wt 3pc if you get a chance to compare with yours. Mine is one of the most lovely short line casting rods I have tried. It seems to bend at least 1/2 to 2/3 down the rod where the 8' 4wt 2pc is more like 1/3 to 1/2 down the rod. The 7' 3wt 3pc seemed to have the same relationship to the 7 1/2' 3wt 2pc with the 7' being much slower. The real "killer" rod though is the 8 1/2' 4wt 3pc if you don't mind the extra length. Oh what a FEELING!

These rods have produced a great deal of confusion when compared to my six rod cane collection. There is nothing really wrong with any of them. I had a cute little 7' 3wt 2pc Heddon Princess taper bamboo that I turned loose of after casting my DG 8' 5wt. Sure they were different rods but the DG was considerably nicer overall with a big advantage at the shorter distances under 20'. My 7 1/2' 3wt more than kept up with a nice Granger taper 7 1/2' and the 8 1/2' 4wt is super compared to my Granger 8642. They handle multiple lines very well just like some cane rods.

If you run into a shop that has all of the models to try out, I would not pass up an opportunity to compare your other favorites to similar lengths/line weights in your quiver.

Marshall

Diamondglass rods
Post 06 Jul 2005, 09:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I was curious about Pave's assertion that the Diamondglass rods have graphite. I emailed them and they replied that the rods are all-glass, no filler ...
I've a few pricey graphite rods that are collecting dust because of the 8'6"/3, 4wt.!

Diamondglass rods
Post 08 Jul 2005, 10:54 • #11 
Glass Fanatic

Diamondglass rods
Post 18 Jan 2006, 17:10 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Well,
It's been over a year now that I've been fishing the 8'6" #4 D'glass. I posted on the prior board I'd post after a year's worth of fishiung it. It's become my "go to" without hesitation. I don't think. It goes with me on nearly every trip. I stated in another column that the only thing I don't like is the grip. Who knows ... Maybe I'll build one? Does anyone know where the blanks can be had for cheap?

Diamondglass rods
Post 18 Jan 2006, 17:45 • #13 
Master Guide
SD,
I believe that the retail on the blanks is $135-155 or so. If you goggle - you will find one or two major internet firms who order them. BTW, it is not too tough to scrap off a grip and replace it- pulling a reel seat can be tougher. I have already replaced a few of the grips on my glass rods. In most cases you have to carefully strip, a judicious razor blade, the windings, remove the guides, scrap off the old grip, match the new grip to the uplocking, inletted seat, and rewrap and varnish the guides. Actually, you can refit with colored wraps as you see fit - just my 2cents ... Currently re-finishing a fischer rod.. Your D Glass sounds like a great rod ...

Diamondglass rods
Post 18 Jan 2006, 19:02 • #14 
Guide
I have to agree that the D-glass rods are causing some confusion with my bamboo rods. I'm taking my 8.5' 4wt on my upcoming trip to Idaho (fishing midges in the Big Wood River), and it's hard to imagine a better rod for the job.

I'm still a bamboo guy, but these rods do sometimes pose some difficult questions ...

Interestingly, I found myself talking to Cortland's Marketing Director a couple weeks ago, and found out that they sold 2x as many Diamondglass rods than expected the first season. Since then, sales have leveled out, and apparently there will be no more additions to the line.

Then again, he's a marketing guy, and I'm also aware that a *lot* of the 2-pc Diamondglass rod models were sold on eBay through discounters, so I can't believe that the line was a monster success. I suspect the 3-pc rods were better sellers.

Given the prices of the blanks and the annoying qualities of that superfine grip, I wonder if we shouldn't start pestering a builder like Dave Lewis to see if he'll offer the things in a more reasonable setup.

Take care,
Tom Chandler

Diamondglass rods
Post 19 Jan 2006, 07:44 • #15 
Guide
Tom-
I agree with you about how sweet the 4 wt. DG rod is.
Regarding the grip - I have the 3 pc. 5 wt. (love that rod too) with what I think is the standard reverse half-wells-like grip, but somehow my 4 wt. came with a Garrison style flat cigar grip. Is this the grip you guys are talking about?
-SAltsh

Diamondglass rods
Post 19 Jan 2006, 10:25 • #16 
Guide
Interesting. The only grip I've seen on the four Dglass rods I cast was that wretched "Western Superfine" (essentially a reverse half wells) which -- in the case of my 8.5' 4wt -- actually tapers to a size barely bigger than the blank itself.

OK for a short light rod, but -- IMHO -- largely useless on something longer. The Garrison style would be a huge improvement. Wonder if that comes on the newer rods.

What I'm coming around to is the idea that I like the rod enough that it's probably worth doing right; get the blank, get my local bamboo rod builder Chris Raine to build one of his unbelievably comfortable shortened Wells grips on it, and keep it a long time.

TC.

I've never been one to chase

Diamondglass rods
Post 19 Jan 2006, 11:39 • #17 
Sport
Some of the early DG rods that I saw had cigar-ish grips. DB offers a straight cigar on their classic graphite line. I have contacted Cortland, their distributor, about the possibility of ordering a DG with a cigar grip instead of western. I'll let you know their reply.

I also like the idea of getting one done up right. What color thread/ silk? I like ruby red with the black blank.

John

Diamondglass rods
Post 19 Jan 2006, 13:50 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
John,
I'm kinda partial to the ruby wraps as well; not so keen on the goldish tipping. I would feel compelled to try something different though. Rust; varigated black and scarlet; varigated black and orange all come to mind. Even maroon or purple with color preserver may look good. I'd definitely have some metallic tipping/trim to brighten things up. Grips? I'm partial to a western half wells or "Fenwick-style" grip with a down locking seat. Seems we all agree, D'back's current grip offering isn't too hot and perhaps they'd sell more rods if they paid a bit more attention to detail. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a nicer grip and some better components. Tom stated the 3pc. rods may be a better seller. I'd speculate if indeed they sell better it'd be because they're smoother casting than their 2pc. brethren. -SD

Diamondglass rods
Post 19 Jan 2006, 14:18 • #19 
Guide
Scud,
I agree with you about the reverse half-wells grips. A half-wells grip would be much nicer. I like downlocking seats better too, but I think that the DG's are light enough to have an uplocking seat. I feel it balances them out better.

I've fished my 8' 5wt twice now and love it, even though it did loose me a real nice rainbow. (or maybe it was me that lost it). I fish it with 6wt DT 444. It is very smooth and excellent in close.

I wonder if the cigar type grips were on the older DG's before Cortland bought out Diamondglass. And when cortland came in they canged them to reverse half wells, because thats supposedly what every modern fly rod under 6wt must have.

Pete

Diamondglass rods
Post 20 Jan 2006, 04:31 • #20 
Sport
Last night a local shop owner showed me a 8' 4wt DG that he just received from Cortland. It had a long (7"? , didn't measure it) reverse-Garrison cigar grip that balanced the rod perfectly. I'm assuming this rod was new stock.

I did notice some crookedness to the tip section on this 2-piecer - is this normal for DB glass?

John

Diamondglass rods
Post 20 Jan 2006, 09:58 • #21 
Guide
anybody willing to share a photo of the different grip occasionally found on a diamondglass? i too was leaning towards wrapping a diamondglass blank but then i heard about the new lamiglass spring creek and i love the sound of the blank's color ... i might be mixing up my past email corespondence but i think the hardware and grips on the diamndback rods were at least at once, supplied by REC.

eric
fresno, ca.

Diamondglass rods
Post 20 Jan 2006, 11:02 • #22 
Guide
eric,

This DG on eBay has a cigar type grip.
What does a garrison grip look like?

cgi.ebay.com/Fly-Fishing- ... otohosting

pete

Diamondglass rods
Post 20 Jan 2006, 11:19 • #23 
Guide
cool, thanks. as an amendment, i said some stuff i THINK was produced by REC. when it came to the cool diamndback reel sea hardware, i vaguely recall the uplocking hardware was something proprietary from REC so you wouldn;t find it at REC's catalog.

quick search for garrison fly grip produced some similar grip shapes. here are two examples:

vfish.net/images/mcdowell75a.JPG

www.ricksrods.com/rrimage ... /bf239.htm

not sure if these are accurate and i would imagine there would be slight variations.

eric
fresno, ca.

Diamondglass rods
Post 20 Jan 2006, 11:43 • #24 
Sport
Pete,
The grip on that e-bay DB rod is what I have referred to as a reverse-Garrison, meaning it tapers ever so slightly from back towards the front. The true Garrison grip designed by Everert Garrison was made to fit the shape of the partially closed fist in that it is a little wider at the front and drops maybe 1/16" at the rear.

BTW, Cortland got back to me about my inquiry about grips. A cigar can be special ordered at no extra charge.

John

Diamondglass rods
Post 20 Jan 2006, 12:11 • #25 
Guide
John and Eric,

Thanks for the input on the garrison style grips.

I was thinking about ordering a DG 8'6" through a local shop owner. Its good to know that I could have them put a cigar style grip on for me. Its even better to know that they will do it for no extra charge.

Thanks,
Pete

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply