It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Jan 2006, 11:50 • #1 
Sport
The current Steffen glass rods are rated to cover two line weights. I am interested in a true 3 weight in the 7-1/2' to 8' range for casts from just the leader to 50'. Which line range would be more appropriate?

John

Post 31 Jan 2006, 13:14 • #2 
Emeritus
John,
I would probably go with the 2/3. I have a couple of the 3/4 wts and I like them both with a 4wt line. I use DT cortland peach lines.
Thanks
Paul

Post 31 Jan 2006, 18:48 • #3 
Guide
It depends on so many factors. Distance, fly size/weight/bulk, type and speed of your casting stroke, line type, leader, weather all these and then some influence the performance of a setup.

I suggest that you pick one and then find the line that makes it "sing" for you. When you find that line, buy 3 or 4 or 5 of them and store them in a sealed container in a cool dark place. Because it is your favorite line now, it will be discontinued soon.

I also suggest that the 3/4 is more flexible as a result of just a touch more backbone. That said, if you're throwing only size tiny (and smaller) dries up to (on average) 25 feet in no wind ... the 2/3 may be the one for you. Casting performance at 50 feet with a medium action 2 weight goes downhill rapidly if the ideal parameters get altered (wind, weight, fly bulk).

Tight Lines,

Alistair

Post 31 Jan 2006, 19:49 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have the 7'6" 2/3 and 7'9" 3/4. The 2/3 is definitely my idea of what a 3 wt. should be. The 3/4 performs best with a #4; I use a longbelly WF 4 on it. I tried a WF 3 on the 3/4 and I didn't think it loaded well. I fish my 2/3 with an Airflo Delta taper in a 2/3.

New Topic Add Reply