It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:41

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick 5wt
Post 28 Jan 2006, 18:56 • #1 
Master Guide
I just acquired a 5'3" fenwick rod. I plan to test it in the morning. temperatures here are expected to reach 50f tomorrow.

Bill

Fenwick 5wt
Post 30 Jan 2006, 06:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like mine, which is the lastest version. It's my standard brookie rod, which around here means supertight streams (often not even enough room to boaw and arrow the 5'3"), but it is surprisingly capable on a larger stream. I'd resist the temptation to underline it; someone I know thinks a rod that short has to be a 3 wt., but it seems perfect at 5 to me.

Bob

Fenwick 5wt
Post 30 Jan 2006, 07:17 • #3 
Master Guide
I cast it with a 6 wt line. it is surprising for such a short rod to be able to handle a 6 wf line. It will be fun to fish with for warm water fish.

Bill

Fenwick 5wt
Post 08 Feb 2006, 09:53 • #4 
Master Guide
I had the 5'3" Fenglass and it is a SWEET little rod ... I stupidly sold it on Ebay! It is a great brookie and panfish rod and can easily handle lines from 4-6wt depending on your casting/fishing needs. I purchased the 6' Fenglass this summer on Ebay for $58 and stripped and re-wrapped it and it is also a very sweet rod. Technically, mine is 5'11" since I could not for the life of me remove the tip top and was forced to cut it off ... can't tell the difference. I used single foot guides and removed the gloss with 0000 steel wool and probably shaved an ounce of weight off of it. Have fun with that little rod and post some pics when you get your first fish on it.

Lou

Fenwick 5wt
Post 08 Feb 2006, 14:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Dear Lou,

I love it when people take rods and make them their own.

But, I must admit, in this case--I think you are nuts.:\

I do, however, sincerely hope that you dearly enjoy your rod.

All the best, paveglass

Fenwick 5wt
Post 09 Feb 2006, 06:49 • #6 
Master Guide
Hey Pave,

Yeah, I am a bit of a Rebel I guess :rollin! I have this thing with fishing only my own custom rods. I love the Fenwicks and was trying to acquire a blank and could not find one. So ... I made it my own ... and didn't stray too far from the original aside from the single foot guides and lack of bakery string butt wrap. Here are a few pics.

As Alec stated ... it's a Fenstealth now!

Lou :hat

Fenwick 5wt
Post 09 Feb 2006, 09:38 • #7 
FFR Founder
Man I love that rod! I put single foots on my Steffen - they are great. Nice job LD. Alec

Fenwick 5wt
Post 10 Feb 2006, 13:32 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
You do really nice work ... but I still think you are nuts.;)

Variety makes the world go round. Good on ya.

paveglass

New Topic Add Reply